Mendal Rivers Building

vicupstate

City offers 11.5 mm for Mendal Rivers Building

Getting a great mixed- use project on this site will effectively 'complete' the redevelopment of Marion Square. Not to mention it will remove a crappy 60's architect eyesore. Good riddance. This project added to the dozen or so other "Upper King" projects will simply put rocket boosters on the redevelopment of that area.

It will be interesting to see exactly what pans out on this.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
City offers 11.5 mm for Mendal Rivers Building

Getting a great mixed- use project on this site will effectively 'complete' the redevelopment of Marion Square. Not to mention it will remove a crappy 60's architect eyesore. Good riddance. This project added to the dozen or so other "Upper King" projects will simply put rocket boosters on the redevelopment of that area.

It will be interesting to see exactly what pans out on this.

Dig, I hope the Save the City's idea for the site comes into fruition, rather than the idea of putting the same old 4-story mixed-use condos which seem to be prevalent throughout DT. For it to be an attractive, noteworthy first-class hotel, I believe the site should accomodate a 5-story building. However, what is wrong with making it the same height as the federal building (7 stories)? I'm afraid that if the scale of the new building is reduced from the current building, Marion Square might lose some of its urban aesthetics on that side.

Dig, I hope the Save the City's idea for the site comes into fruition, rather than the idea of putting the same old 4-story mixed-use condos which seem to be prevalent throughout DT. For it to be an attractive, noteworthy first-class hotel, I believe the site should accomodate a 5-story building. However, what is wrong with making it the same height as the federal building (7 stories)? I'm afraid that if the scale of the new building is reduced from the current building, Marion Square might lose some of its urban aesthetics on that side.

I would actually prefer to see this building reused in some way. Strip it and renovate it. I like the height effect that it provides with the Francis Marion hotel right across the square and the new 9-story Hilton coming just north of the square.

Hmm . . I have no problem with a 7-story building replacing the same there. However, if it gets pushed to the street, that might be a bit too tall, i.e., a "canyon" effect. Perhaps a compromise would be putting the final 2-3 floors as a set back? I REALLY want the replacement building to have a sidewalk portico--how breathtakingly grand that would be (and Charleston deserves more of such grandness).

Noooooooooo!!!!! :)

Seriously though, you could breath new life into that existing building, and it's a perfectly good structure (besides the asbestos, which will be removed). Strip that bad boy and totally reclad and renovate it, and you'd essentially have an entirely new structure. If the lot has as much depth as CN alluded to, you could really get some good density on that site.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived