Arkansas History in School

Mith242

I've been hearing a lot about this and keep forgetting to mention this. Does anyone have an opinions on them possibly have people 'skimming over' Arkansas History. I've also wondered why I never learned anything about Arkansas History when I was in school. I don't know if I just hit a window where it was dropped or if they didn't teach that for some reason when I was in Pine Bluff. How about the rest of you, did you ever have any Arkansas History in school?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been hearing a lot about this and keep forgetting to mention this. Does anyone have an opinions on them possibly have people 'skimming over' Arkansas History. I've also wondered why I never learned anything about Arkansas History when I was in school. I don't know if I just hit a window where it was dropped or if they didn't teach that for some reason when I was in Pine Bluff. How about the rest of you, did you ever have any Arkansas History in school?

I think it is much to do about nothing. If Arkansas History is to be taught then add it in with American History and how certain events happened in Arkansas. Ex. Civil Rights/Central High, migration of blacks from the south to the industrial north/flood of 1927, depopulation of rural America/decline of the delta... How many students stay in the state? If they go to a different state then Arkansas History doesn't do them a lot of good. If you look at the history of Arkansas it would be easy to say that nothing was learned from it. This state has spent too much time trying to retain their past instead of looking to the future.

I think it is much to do about nothing. If Arkansas History is to be taught then add it in with American History and how certain events happened in Arkansas. Ex. Civil Rights/Central High, migration of blacks from the south to the industrial north/flood of 1927, depopulation of rural America/decline of the delta... How many students stay in the state? If they go to a different state then Arkansas History doesn't do them a lot of good. If you look at the history of Arkansas it would be easy to say that nothing was learned from it. This state has spent too much time trying to retain their past instead of looking to the future.

I couldn't disagree more.

Arkansas' history is fascinating and helps one understand the present. Have you ever wondered why Arkansas withdrew from the Union when very small percentage of its citizens were slave owners? Have you ever wondered why Arkansas is a backwater and so many of its citizens live below the poverty line? Have you ever wondered about the origins of religious zealotry in Arkansas? Have you ever wondered why the state boundaries are drawn in their present locations and what the original proposals looked like? Then there's the Native American tribes, the De Soto expedition, the politics of the initial land grants to settlers, and so on and so on. It's not just about the Central High fiasco.

And I haven't lived in Arkansas for more than a decade and probably never will again. Nevertheless, I find my understanding and appreciation for Arkansas' present and future enriched and informed with just a cursory knowledge of its history.

I would recommend reading some of Buzz Arnold's excellent books on Arkansas history as a starting point.

In Arkansas it is a good chance that Arkansas or any other History course will be taught by a Coach/Teacher. It is a good chance this so-called teacher does not have a degree in History. It is lucky they have a History minor in college. Isn't it good to know that your children are being taught History or other courses in the Social Sciences by someone with a BSE in Physical Education.

Archived