Jobs & Employment Throughout Metro Columbus

aboutmetro

NCR is building a new plant in Columbus to manufacture advanced ATM's. This is along with their HQ move from Dayton to Duluth (suburban Atlanta). The Columbus plant will create 860 jobs. Columbus will use stimulus funding, provided by the Economic Development Authority, to purchase a building for the plant, which will be leased back by NCR. They should be in by the end of the year, beginning to hire in July '09.

ncrLogo.gif

About NCR Corporation

NCR Corporation (NYSE: NCR) is a global technology company and leader in automated teller machines, self-checkouts and other self- and assisted-service solutions, serving customers in more than 100 countries. NCR's software, hardware, consulting and support services help organizations in retail, financial, travel, healthcare and other industries interact with consumers across multiple channels.

NCR has several jobs posted on the Ga Dept of Labor website.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

According to the LaGrange-Troup CoC, these are the biggest employers in Troup County:

1: Troup County Schools: 2,011

2: Milliken: 1,984

3: Walmart (distribution): 1,500

4: West Georgia Health (hospital): 1,358

5: Kia: 1,203

6: Troup County: 600

7: Interface Flooring: 500

8: City of LaGrange: 430

9: Duracell: 425

10: American Home Shield: 400

(As reported in the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer)

Columbus' nightlife is probably pretty representative for a town its size. Not better, not worse most of the time. Noting the university aspects of nightlife in other towns is probably about right - even with 7,800 students, CSU's average student age is something like 26. Too, the number of high school and college grads leaving the town to find work contributes to the lack of nightlifers. When they're not off fighting wars, Ft Benning's soldier population does contribute greatly to nightlife, those their disposable income isn't what say, a yuppie might be. That said, I think the live music scene is a little bit better than cities of comparable size. I know it's better or at least as good than, say, Birmingham which is a good deal larger than Columbus. But this is a discussion for a different topic...

Having lived in Mobile and spending a large amount of town in Bham (wife is from there and a majority of our friends moved their) I have to disagree on Columbus night life being comparable to either of those cities. More comparable with Mobile than Bham though. Mobile is about 5-10 years ahead of Columbus with regards to the urban redevelopment thing. Things Columbus are just getting Mobile was getting when I was in high school there 8-10 years ago. There are bars, restaurants on Mobile's Dauphin St that have been open since the early 90's and some that never left for sprawl. Birmingham has multiple areas with more to do than Broadway. Southside, Lakeshore, Downtown Homewood, and the various villages of Mountain Brook all have more to do individually than Downtown Columbus, much less if you combine them. Part of the problem I see in Columbus (aside from the lack of college/young professional class that feeds this scene) is the relatively uninteresting and spasely developed downtown. Lots of parking decks, wide open parking lots, random lawns in front of buildings. Broadway is the only relatively continuous urban street in downtown. All others have had buildings destroyed, empty lots, large empty parking areas, etc that detract from the "downtown feel". Plus the average citizen of Columbus/PC does not seem to appreciate these types of things. Many would rather go to a chain out at CPC than come downtown to eat at a place like The Loft. Just my observation after about a year here. The positives for downtown do seem to be improving though, but they need more support to continue to exist. Rivecenter and CSU downtown need to continue to build and improve offerings because they do more for downtown than anything else. Tsys, Bradley, Synovus, and Aflac also have to help leep the momentum moving with all of the weight they can throw around. Aflac games are moving to downtown riverwalk and whitewater is coming. All of these things will continue to get people downtown which will improve the nightlife. Concerts on the river/downtown music festival would be a nice addition. Mobile's Bayfest has run for almost 20 years with pretty big acts. It gives a boost to downtown. Mobiles downtown survives off of a steady diet of regulars from the three local universities, a decent professional class, and a long history of locals appreciating entertainment/alcohol (I think it comes from being a port city with a ton of history). But what gives it a shot in the arm and ensures that it thrives is a constant stream of events downtown that draw people in that might not come to downtown weekly. These big events (Bayfest, Mardi Gras, Senior Bowl, GMAC Bowl, St Paddys, Chili Cookofff, Azalea Trail Run, 1st light marathon, New Years Eve, Conserts at the Saenger,etc) ensures bars and restaurants of 10-15 huge weekends to go along with the steady diet of regular weekends that may or may not get them through. I bet bars/restaurants in downtown Mobile cover the majority of their yearly expenses during Bayfest, Mardi Gras, and Senior Bowl and then run break even or deficit for the majority of the year. Columbus can do it, but it is a slow process. Mobile started in the late earliy nineties, with a lot of built in advantages over Columbus, and it has really only recently (since early 2000s) seen a more rapid growth in condo development, national chains moving in with more local restaurants, retail, new hotel development, etc.

Edited by nimsjus

Having lived in Mobile and spending a large amount of town in Bham (wife is from there and a majority of our friends moved their) I have to disagree on Columbus night life being comparable to either of those cities.

Wow that's alot of words. I didn't say nightlife in general, or Mobile. I specifically mentioned B'hams live music scene. More specifically, live rock. There's The (scary) Nick, Rockin Horse, a few places around Innesfree(sp). But for a town it's size, Columbus probably has more relative to B'hams size, like per capita. That's all. (I lived in B'ham a while myself and managed a couple of bands).

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that's alot of words. I didn't say nightlife in general, or Mobile. I specifically mentioned B'hams live music scene. More specifically, live rock. There's The (scary) Nick, Rockin Horse, a few places around Innesfree(sp). But for a town it's size, Columbus probably has more relative to B'hams size, like per capita. That's all. (I lived in B'ham a while myself and managed a couple of bands).

Compared to cities it's size I say Columbus does do pretty good in nightlife. There is always that lack of colleges here, but the city makes up for that with a young military population at one of the largest installations in the world. And Large colleges don't always make a cities nightlife either. Look at Auburn. Very large institution, but the nightlife of Auburn bites. I had moved away from Columbus last summer and just moved back the city that I moved to was roughly about the size Columbus about 10,000 people difference, but I must say Columbus had alot more to do. Columbus' nightlife reputations suffers because it is so spread out that no one actually knows really where all the clubs and party spots are located here. You have the centralized party district near broadway that most people are familar with because it is so centralized, but there are other party spots throughout the city. The concerts that the city gets are very nice some large and small artist. I really enjoy the older Concerts that the rivercenter gets. Communication is a problem here also. I meet people all the time who have live in the city of Columbus that was unfamilar with the local teams. The nightlife is here. In no way does it compare with Mobile or Birmingham, but Columbus' nightlife is faster than Montgomery's which has several colleges and at last census count had passed Mobile in 2000 and was about 16,000 people larger than Columbus.

• 2 weeks later...