Jobs & Employment Throughout Metro Columbus

aboutmetro

Well a little bad news on the job front for Metro Columbus the unemployment rate for the Metro Columbus area rose to 7.0% in the month of July from 6.3%in June. The Georgia Department of Labor says the numbers are bad statewide and that the state is experiencing unemployment rates not seen in 15 years. Columbus' jobless rate is the highest it's been since March of 1993. Statewide the number of Unemployment insurances claims rose by 30% across Georgia in July from the previous month. positions at Kia and it's suppliers are expected to help out the valleys unemployment numbers as their hiring process continues. Columbus is doing bad, but a couple of counties to the north Chambers County, Alabama has a unemployment rate of 14.4% the highest in the state of Alabama. Their unemployment is mainly due to the closing of textile mills in the community which dominated their economy in cities live Valley & Lanett. Chambers county is directly acros from the city of West Point where Kia is being built and has several suppliers locating in the county. There economy should be speeding up very very soon.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumbling...Another major Tier 1 component Kia supplier is to announce a plant at Kiaville on I-85 at West Point. Supposedly beating out Montgomery, Columbus and others.

Troup is announcing that Hyundai Powertech Manufacturing America is locating to West Point, GA on the Kia campus at a new interchange being built on I-85 at Gabettville Rd. It's 355 new jobs paying higher on average than those at Kia itself. There are only 6 companies in the world that produce the 6-speed transmissions.

Apparently, there was strong competition from the Alabama I-85 corridor. Columbus, GA was also considered, but ultimately nocked out because of the lack of Interstate access to the proposed site and from Columbus to Montgomery. The transmissions will be built for both Kia and Hyunidai's plant in Montgomery.

No word yet on the projected opening. As pointed out earlier, these jobs can't come fast enough for the mid-Chatt region...

• 3 weeks later...

Synovus hit by housing financing market implosion... to slash 650 jobs. Bloomberg article.

This is very bad news but the good news is that not all the jobs will be cut in Columbus. They are eliminating the positions over a two year period through branches of banks they own which are in 5 southeastern states. Overall what I hear CB&T the bank they own locally has been fairing pretty well through these tough economic times. So possibly not many of the cuts will come in Columbus. We'll just have to wait it out and see.

I have felt the greenpoint closing was coming anyway. I felt that for a while. On another note the truth about Synovus cuts came today the company will eliminate 230 jobs in the Columbus area those cuts will be mostly back office and support positions in back office, CB&T and CB&T of east Alabama. No cuts will take affect until January of next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Heard's closing it's Columbus dealership costing 350 jobs.

Sears repair center closing, no word on numbers of jobs lost.

Rumor mill says Synovus' number is much bigger than reported.

Wachovia is looking for a buyer.

Some good news... Kia 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier suppliers will begin announcing soon. Will produce about the same number of jobs already announced in the region - 8000 to 10,000. Lagrange only has limited space left for maybe a quarter of those. Maybe Columbus can pick up some. Harris just opened an industrial park and Cusseta AL, just down I-85 still has room. The interstate corridor probably as the best shot at them.

Bill Heard's closing it's Columbus dealership costing 350 jobs.

Sears repair center closing, no word on numbers of jobs lost.

Rumor mill says Synovus' number is much bigger than reported.

Wachovia is looking for a buyer.

Some good news... Kia 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier suppliers will begin announcing soon. Will produce about the same number of jobs already announced in the region - 8000 to 10,000. Lagrange only has limited space left for maybe a quarter of those. Maybe Columbus can pick up some. Harris just opened an industrial park and Cusseta AL, just down I-85 still has room. The interstate corridor probably as the best shot at them.

Sear's repair center is just moving to the North Columbus Sears. I don't think any jobs are being lost.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unemployment picture in the COLA region still looking pretty ugly. Well, not so mucn inthe O-A. It's at 4.5%, Lagrange-Troup's at 8.5, worst in the region. Columbus-metro is at 6.9 (Muscogee at 6.7 and Russell at 7.5, Marion @ 6.3, Harris @ 5.6 and Chattachoochee also very bad @ 13.2%).

Edited by aboutmetro

GRAAL Group, a security training company, is to build a 1,700-acre training facility in Marion County wil 50 or so jobs. Citizens in Marion are suing the County over the rezoning because they're concerned about the noice (they say).

Details:

GRAAL Group Security Training Complex

250 jobs - about 40 from local pop.

1,700 acres

10,594sf HQ

28,875 student/Guest dorms

7,414 training/classroom center

Urban assault village

2.5 mile driving track

Shooting facilities

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Columbus to Regain Lost jobs Eventually

Despite all the bad economic news as of lately in the Columbus area there is good news ahead the following article was published in the LE on Nov. 22, 2008

There will be ample pain for the Columbus area as the national economy continues to contract through 2009 and job losses mount, experts say.

But the city also appears primed to rebound strongly in 2010 and 2011 as the Fort Benning work force expands and the nearby Kia auto plant feeds the regional economy.

• 2 weeks later...

Metro Columbus' unemployment rate is at 7.4, while Georgia's is at a 23-year high at 7.5. Troup County is at 8.3% as Pretty Products (an auto manufacturer supplier located in Lagrange) is laying off 51 people.

In the COLA counties, the unemployment rate is at 8.2. Chambers is the highest at 14.3 and Lee the lowest (still) at 4.5.

Edited by aboutmetro

Columbus to Regain Lost jobs Eventually

Despite all the bad economic news as of lately in the Columbus area there is good news ahead the following article was published in the LE on Nov. 22, 2008

You know, the question I have re: BRAC and employment. No one knows what employees will come with those civilian jobs. Many probably will given the state of the economy. Regardless, the military spouses will also be coming with their enlisteds and those spouse will also be looking for jobs. So when those folks hit the labor market, I kind-of expect a spike in unemployment. The Louisville market being much larger, they probably had a much more diverse employment scene.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt this belongs here, but it's going here:

Eddie Bauer is closing.

Arbys and Taco Bell both closed in the mall.

Mazzio's Pizza (only 1 GA location left) closed on Macon Rd.

This is a really sad time...

Well, in these days, it kind-of does. A lot of Columbus' employment is retail based.

why is this closing down now it seems like everything is closing down in the peachtree mall i have also heard rumors of peachtree mall shutting down also i hope peachtree mall does not shut down because thats the only indoor mall we have here in columbus and if the peachtree mall closes down then columbus is going to be boring and lame with out the indoor mall