Jobs & Employment Throughout Metro Columbus

aboutmetro

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Columbus Loses Kia Supplier

Columbus has lost Kia supplier DongNam Tech and the estimated 350 jobs it was supposed to bring to the city, the Columbus Development Authority said Wednesday.

South Korea-based DonNam Tech Co. Ltd. has been purchased by another firm, NVH Korea, the authority said in a release from the Greater Columbus Chamber of Commerce.

K.B. Lee, president and CEO of DongNam Tech announced that the new owner has halted plans to open an automotive supply plant in Columbus, the authority said.

• 2 weeks later...

why is this closing down now it seems like everything is closing down in the peachtree mall i have also heard rumors of peachtree mall shutting down also i hope peachtree mall does not shut down because thats the only indoor mall we have here in columbus and if the peachtree mall closes down then columbus is going to be boring and lame with out the indoor mall

The nightlife of Columbus is already lame and getting worse. Whenever the city does catch some good nightspots some of our not so uppy residents tend to mess them up for everyone which results in the city trying to limit those types of venues in the city.

The nightlife of Columbus is already lame and getting worse. Whenever the city does catch some good nightspots some of our not so uppy residents tend to mess them up for everyone which results in the city trying to limit those types of venues in the city.

I think the nighlife has picked up. FlipsFlops downtown is nice. There is also one in Statesboro, GA and Atlanta. Columbus nighlife is definitely getting better.

I think the nighlife has picked up. FlipsFlops downtown is nice. There is also one in Statesboro, GA and Atlanta. Columbus nighlife is definitely getting better.

Really? Because I've been downtown a lot lately... and it's just doesn't even come close to anything urban like in nature. Living in Atlanta and San Juan, Puerto Rico... it's almost like a sleepy kind of nightlife... lately it's been dead on some parts of Broadway (I'm guessing because of the season, weather, economic circumstances, etc). But I guess it's alright for starters. I was told that even Montgomery is better.

I think the problem with the nightlife scene is the fact that Columbus only has two relatively small universities in the area. Where as Atlanta, Montgomery, and even Auburn have large colleges that creates the demand for multiple venues and a variety of entertainment. Plus, the landowners and older citizens in the Columbus call the shots on what is developed, and youth flight has become a really prevalent issue down here. So unless those two influential factions are willing to see the viability in allowing certain areas to foster venues for nightlife, then it will only stagnate.

I think the only other variable capable of thwarting their decisions is the influx of citizens through the BRAC realignment. 30,000 troops are surely going to want more than what two strips are capable of giving them in terms of entertainment. So I do see Columbus boasting a VERY respectable nightlife scene in the future. But for the mean time... I personally think that it's just what it could be. But I might be wrong. I heard that summer of last year, Broadway was packed with people.

Really? Because I've been downtown a lot lately... and it's just doesn't even come close to anything urban like in nature. Living in Atlanta and San Juan, Puerto Rico... it's almost like a sleepy kind of nightlife... lately it's been dead on some parts of Broadway (I'm guessing because of the season, weather, economic circumstances, etc). But I guess it's alright for starters. I was told that even Montgomery is better.

I think the problem with the nightlife scene is the fact that Columbus only has two relatively small universities in the area. Where as Atlanta, Montgomery, and even Auburn have large colleges that creates the demand for multiple venues and a variety of entertainment. Plus, the landowners and older citizens in the Columbus call the shots on what is developed, and youth flight has become a really prevalent issue down here. So unless those two influential factions are willing to see the viability in allowing certain areas to foster venues for nightlife, then it will only stagnate.

I think the only other variable capable of thwarting their decisions is the influx of citizens through the BRAC realignment. 30,000 troops are surely going to want more than what two strips are capable of giving them in terms of entertainment. So I do see Columbus boasting a VERY respectable nightlife scene in the future. But for the mean time... I personally think that it's just what it could be. But I might be wrong. I heard that summer of last year, Broadway was packed with people.

Columbus' nightlife is probably pretty representative for a town its size. Not better, not worse most of the time. Noting the university aspects of nightlife in other towns is probably about right - even with 7,800 students, CSU's average student age is something like 26. Too, the number of high school and college grads leaving the town to find work contributes to the lack of nightlifers. When they're not off fighting wars, Ft Benning's soldier population does contribute greatly to nightlife, those their disposable income isn't what say, a yuppie might be. That said, I think the live music scene is a little bit better than cities of comparable size. I know it's better or at least as good than, say, Birmingham which is a good deal larger than Columbus. But this is a discussion for a different topic...

Edited by aboutmetro

• 2 weeks later...

BRAC & KIA to MAKE COLUMBUS AN ECONOMIC OASIS

There are no swarms of U.S. Armor School tanks yet growling their way across the red-clay terrain at Fort Benning.

And the Kia plant in nearby West Point, Ga., has yet to crank up assembly of a single engine or chassis, let alone a complete automobile.

But the Columbus area is slowly and surely drawing closer to the point when both projects should help generate a

BRAC & KIA to MAKE COLUMBUS AN ECONOMIC OASIS

From Columbus Ledger Enquier 3/8/09

I know they say in the article that about 500 of the 800 new civilian jobs might be available based on trends of other base re-alignments. Two things that could change that number either way: 1) the economy, some might have stayed home and found alternate jobs in the local Louisville economy, which might mean more might make the move. 2) There will be replacement jobs due to Ft Knox receiving another assignment, which means more than usual could decide to stay in Louisville. The 2nd might be reinforced due to the fact that many may not be able to sell their homes in Louisville to buy a home in Columbus. I know that military employees have the option of 'selling' their home to the army for a discount in order to buy a new home in the Columbus area.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally A Little Good News for the Columbus Area,

The State of Georgia unemployment rate remained the same in the month of March as Febuary at 9.2%. Meanwhile in Columbus that number is a little bit brighter. Columbus unemployment rate is down to 8.4% from 8.7% in Febuary. Thats the first time in over a year that Columbus' unemployment numbers have declined. It is still higher than lasts Marchs umployment number for the city which were at 5.3%.

With Stocks begining to rise again and unemployment stablizing as well as the number of foreclosures on homes declining lets hope we have seen the worst of this recession and the brighter days are ahead.

Finally A Little Good News for the Columbus Area,

The State of Georgia unemployment rate remained the same in the month of March as Febuary at 9.2%. Meanwhile in Columbus that number is a little bit brighter. Columbus unemployment rate is down to 8.4% from 8.7% in Febuary. Thats the first time in over a year that Columbus' unemployment numbers have declined. It is still higher than lasts Marchs umployment number for the city which were at 5.3%.

With Stocks begining to rise again and unemployment stablizing as well as the number of foreclosures on homes declining lets hope we have seen the worst of this recession and the brighter days are ahead.

I hope so too. That fraction of decline could also be due to unemployment benefits expiring. It's hard to know really good numbers in a recession. And foreclosures are on the rise again in many areas. But, on the positive side too, the $8,000 first time homebuyer credit seems to be having some impact.

The last round of layoffs at Synovus laid off Columbus employees leaving Atlanta employees to take over duties. Columbus Leadership must start doing things that will attract new employers. Supporting I-14, I22 and/or I-185 expansion. Supporting living options that young urban dwellers want to live in. Because, it's likely as banks begin to recover, a massive merger and acquisition season will set off and Synovus and TSYS are ripe.

The last round of layoffs at Synovus laid off Columbus employees leaving Atlanta employees to take over duties. Columbus Leadership must start doing things that will attract new employers. Supporting I-14, I22 and/or I-185 expansion. Supporting living options that young urban dwellers want to live in. Because, it's likely as banks begin to recover, a massive merger and acquisition season will set off and Synovus and TSYS are ripe.

If anthing, TSYS will gobble up someone else. Synovus might be more vulnerable, but I am sure it will be fine.