Jobs & Employment Throughout Metro Columbus

aboutmetro

johnson-controls.png

Johnson Controls is adding 115 production jobs to its West Point, Harris County, GA plant. They are to employ 300 when Kia is at full steam.

They have a very nice HQ in downtown Milwawkee

johnson_controls.jpg

MAN I'D LIKE TO SEE A HEADQUARTERS LIKE THAT IN DOWNTOWN COLUMBUS...

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Economic Experts say Columbus to Rebound Much faster from Recession

This quote is from Sundays Columbus Ledger Enquirer.

Veteran Economist Jeff Humphreys is quoted as saying the following:

"Start with 17,000 direct and indirect jobs created by Fort Bennings expansion. Add another 13,700 generated by Kia Motors and its Suppliers in nearby West Point, GA. Then mix in another 2,400 from NCR Corp, Prosperity America, Exide Technologies, and Nash Finch Co. Firms that have landed in the city or are expanding. It all adds up an economic slam dunk for Columbus and the surrounding area, said Humprphreys, director of the University of Georgia's Selig Center for Economic Growth. Thats 33,000 jobs coming into this area within the next 3 to 5 years. And you only lost 4,800 jobs in the great recession. So its really pretty simple math as to why I'm so bullish on the Columbus MSA. There's no other place in the state that has such a good econmic outlook. You got hit much less by the recession and you have so much in that economic pipeline"

Economic Experts say Columbus to Rebound Much faster from Recession

This quote is from Sundays Columbus Ledger Enquirer.

Veteran Economist Jeff Humphreys is quoted as saying the following:

"Start with 17,000 direct and indirect jobs created by Fort Bennings expansion. Add another 13,700 generated by Kia Motors and its Suppliers in nearby West Point, GA. Then mix in another 2,400 from NCR Corp, Prosperity America, Exide Technologies, and Nash Finch Co. Firms that have landed in the city or are expanding. It all adds up an economic slam dunk for Columbus and the surrounding area, said Humprphreys, director of the University of Georgia's Selig Center for Economic Growth. Thats 33,000 jobs coming into this area within the next 3 to 5 years. And you only lost 4,800 jobs in the great recession. So its really pretty simple math as to why I'm so bullish on the Columbus MSA. There's no other place in the state that has such a good econmic outlook. You got hit much less by the recession and you have so much in that economic pipeline"

I hope a good portion of those jobs moderate to high paying... they don't need anymore low income jobs here. Seriously.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Several announcements of new jobs/employment in recent weeks

NCR adding two new production lines and 150 new jobs. That raises emploment to 400, with 870 the target number when full production reached

NCR also adding 90 new hirees to its new call center, bringing emplyment up to 150. NCR recently closed its call center in SC and announced movement of jobs from there to Ga -- presumably here. The SC facility had 330 positions so the job center may get even more slots in the future.

Fresh Mkt is hiring for its new store in Bradley Park. About 90 positions are expected to be filled

Kysor/Warren is adding 200 new jobs at its refrigeration equipment mfg plant. That will bring employment there to approximately 1000.

Small steps but better than losing a comparable number of jobs.

In the "wait and see" category there is buzz surrounding the old Baker Hi property. Seems that a Hollywood producer -- Columbusite Daniel Diaz of Papillon Studios -- has expressed interest in the tract for a production studio. Would add 3000 new jobs. He and Rep. S. Bishop have applied for $34 M in atimulus funds as seed money to get started.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

100713ge-aviation-logojpg-fe4248876f856057_small.jpg

GE Aviation will build a 200,000sf facility in Auburn's Technology Park to open by 2012. According to a WLTZ story, The facility will enhance components for the GE/Rolls-Royce F136 jet engine for the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) F-35 program. Initial F136 production will start in 2013. It will employ betweein 300 to 400 people when it starts production in early '13.

Edited by aboutmetro

Kia Motors is adding an additional 1,000 jobs at its West Point, GA Plant. Bringing the total employment there to around 3,000. Rumors they will add more to bring a third car to production there - could it be their new Hybrid, aka the Prius killer? AJC Story here

52982-kia-motors-unveils-optima-hybrid-for-us-market.jpg

click for story

Edited by aboutmetro

• 4 weeks later...

Not directly related to specific jobs... The Georgia Terry College's Selig Center for Economic Development annual Economic Outlook (for 2011) is projecting transportation and warehousing to be leading growth sectors in the state. Columbus proper isn't well positioned for these sectors, but in the metro Auburn-Opelika and LaGrange/Troup along I-85 are. Report attached below and at this link.GA_EconomicOutlook-2011.pdf

Edited by aboutmetro

iljin.gif

Phenix City got an early Christmas present - the Iljin Alabama Corp is bringing 108 jobs,the CLE reports. It's the first Kia supplier for either PC or Columbus. Ilgin received a tax abatement to move into a former textile mill at 14 Downing Drive (inside the former Columbus Carpet Mills building). The tax subsidy is about $7,000 per job over 10 years.

Edited by aboutmetro

• 2 weeks later...

Closing three branches: Wynnton, North Highland and one out Highway 80 in Phenix City. While I hate when people lose their jobs, I hope this paves the way for a more profitable and stronger Synovus.

1071591*280.jpg?v=1

Any idea how many local jobs that means? Any corporate jobs? The real local hurt will come when Synovus is bought by another bank. Too many believe that Synovus is so weakened it is now a takeover subject. The Ledger reported it over the weekend, and BizJournals reported it back in June '10 as noted in one of the comments.

Edited by aboutmetro

1071591*280.jpg?v=1

Any idea how many local jobs that means? Any corporate jobs? The real local hurt will come when Synovus is bought by another bank. Too many believe that Synovus is so weakened it is now a takeover subject. The Ledger reported it over the weekend, and BizJournals reported it back in June '10 as noted in one of the comments.

I have heard 250 in Columbus with the rest coming from around the Southeast. This was from an executive I know at TSYS.

I have heard 250 in Columbus with the rest coming from around the Southeast. This was from an executive I know at TSYS.

Well that makes sense. The rumors that the earlier layoffs were closer to 1,000 (than the announced 850). This pretty much offsets gains by attracting NCR. This really doesn't bode well for Columbus, and especially downtown Columbus, does it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...