Grand Rapids Magazine

I started subscribing to Grand Rapids Magazine again, because I thought I was "missing" something, since the last time I cancelled my subscription, but man, that Magazine is lacking in content.

The same "golf guide" that was in April's issue just came as August's issue, with the rest being dedicated to ad's for local colleges.

You'd think with all the great things going on around town, they could find a few more things to write about, and a lot less fluff.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I started subscribing to Grand Rapids Magazine again, because I thought I was "missing" something, since the last time I cancelled my subscription, but man, that Magazine is lacking in content.

The same "golf guide" that was in April's issue just came as August's issue, with the rest being dedicated to ad's for local colleges.

You'd think with all the great things going on around town, they could find a few more things to write about, and a lot less fluff.

One of staff writers posts on here [shout out to Woz! Can't wait for the October issue!]

If y'all are thinking it's fluff...start the story ideas flowing. It's a big endeavor to pull a magazine like that together with a small staff and probably a too-small budget. I think it's a nice addition to the pubs that we have in town. There's something legit about having our own glossy mag. I'll admit I don't read EVERY article, but make a point to page through it each month.

*fish

Just to clarify, two completly separate issues of Michigan Golf are published annually -- one in April and one in August. Both are inserted into the Grand Rapids Magazine while also standing alone as independent publications with statewide mailing lists.

The August issue is a little thin (summer, ya know!) but things pick-up in the fall. It's all dependent on the amount of advertising sales, of course.

One of staff writers posts on here [shout out to Woz! Can't wait for the October issue!]

If y'all are thinking it's fluff...start the story ideas flowing. It's a big endeavor to pull a magazine like that together with a small staff and probably a too-small budget. I think it's a nice addition to the pubs that we have in town. There's something legit about having our own glossy mag. I'll admit I don't read EVERY article, but make a point to page through it each month.

*fish

*fish

I have to say, I don't like the golf issues (maybe it's because I don't like golf?), but I think it's a good read. If you want up to the second news, you come here, but they have had some pretty good stories lately (I love the one about Grab's Corners, which I think might have been inspired by UP). I left a copy in Tokyo for our office to see what GR was like. They all raved about how nice GR looked through the eyes of GR Magazine.

Joe

I think that for the most part it is a terrific magazine.

It gives a full list of events, gives an overview of some of the new developments in town, encourages that people live in downtown, has great restaurant suggestions, and bright colorful photos.

The only thing that I would like to see is more of a cohesive concept for each issue. I think that there is a great foundation for it with the reoccurring issues such as

It has potential. The moped article was really well done and has motivated me to start my search for one.

I want to be cool too.

But as a whole, it lacks consistent content and sometimes comes across as a bit aloof. I mean, do I really need another tour of someones million dollar house or catalog of golf courses? There has to be a million stories in this town. A bit more diversity would really be great.

Im actually surprised how Hour Detroit keeps blowing GR Mag. out of the water every month. I love their larger format, and they really put a energetic, cool face on that area. GR Mag. makes me want to fall asleep sometimes ( I think it's the colors and fonts used), and many times I read through it in a half hour.

I run out of stuff before I run out of interest.

Im actually surprised how Hour Detroit keeps blowing GR Mag. out of the water every month. I love their larger format, and they really put a energetic, cool face on that area. GR Mag. makes me want to fall asleep sometimes ( I think it's the colors and fonts used), and many times I read through it in a half hour.

We were pretty pleased with the Moped article, if you are looking for one drop me a line, I have a lead on a few.

I usually only read some of the more interesting features and find it full of so much advertising.

I like the house profiles, showing design and decoration, along with some of the profiles of locals. But you are right seems targeted at the traveler and not the resident.

I have to say, I don't like the golf issues (maybe it's because I don't like golf?), but I think it's a good read. If you want up to the second news, you come here, but they have had some pretty good stories lately (I love the one about Grab's Corners, which I think might have been inspired by UP). I left a copy in Tokyo for our office to see what GR was like. They all raved about how nice GR looked through the eyes of GR Magazine.

Joe

I like the golf issues, and there are a TON of golfers in West Michigan. In fact, maybe it's my demographic, but I know very few guys my age that DON'T golf. And it covers all the blue collar and white collar guys I know. I think you're the only one I know Joe. :lol:

I think GR Magazine is pretty good. I don't expect a lot out of it, and as far as ads go, every magazine seems to be 3/4's ads and 1/4 actual information. I think it paints Grand Rapids in a highly polished fashion for visitors.

I haven't read an issue since early last year. I've looked forward to Wozniak's articles that appear on line. My thought is that its mostly something for Ford International, Amway Grand, J.W. Marriott, and other destinations. However, this doesn't take away from its importance. I don't doubt that this magazine could be a powerful identity tool for downtown outside of the city. Gemini could have newsstands say in the lake shore suburbs and other areas of the Metropolitan area. How about at the suburban airports, train stations, etc?

Carol Valade, the editor of this magazine is also a great guest moderator on the television show West Michigan Week along with Peter Ross of WZZM13. I've wondered if Ms. Valade could also integrate some of the development topics of this news show into the magazine if it hasn't already.

BTW, the GR Mag website should filter their advertisements. It seems inappropriate that one of the top ads features a visitindiana.com website. :silly:

• 11 months later...

To those of you who said nice things about my work with GR Mag, thanks.

FYI: My last article for them -- a photo-heavy piece on City Flats in Holland -- is (finally) running in their August 2008 issue.

I quit writing for them back in May.

But as a whole, it lacks consistent content and sometimes comes across as a bit aloof. I mean, do I really need another tour of someones million dollar house or catalog of golf courses? There has to be a million stories in this town. A bit more diversity would really be great.

Archived