Evil Emerald ash borer

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall hearing a few months ago that the city wanted to replace all of the ash trees over a period of about 10 years by cutting down a few at a time and planting a variety of other species in their place. However, in areas that are already infested they need to cut down all of the ash trees ASAP, to try to prevent the spread of the borers to other areas.

Does this have anything to do with the new green bags covering the base trunks of the little trees downtown? I've noticed them on a lot of trees in the last week or so. Not sure if these are ash or not though, not good identifying trees. I can spot a pine though! :good:

The bags are probably Tree Gators. It's been a hot and dry summer, so new trees just won't make it with out steady supply of H20.

Does this have anything to do with the new green bags covering the base trunks of the little trees downtown? I've noticed them on a lot of trees in the last week or so. Not sure if these are ash or not though, not good identifying trees. I can spot a pine though! :good:

• 3 weeks later...

For a decade we have know the Emerald Ash Borer was on its way. Unfortunately, as is habit with our City, we did nothing to prepare for it, we were even planting new Ash trees as it was approaching. So, not the City management has come up with one of its non-planed plans to cut down all the Ash Trees and maybe replant them. If you have noticed, our city has not done a great job of planting and maintaining trees. The City plants trees that are too small to succeed and does not bother to water or maintain them in those first few crucial years.

The Ash problem is interesting in that the City, without any viable research has determined that it is cheaper to cut them down than treat them. Yes, treatment is an option, but not according to the City. I recently had a meeting with an Arborist from a national tree arborist firm to discuss the options of removal vs. treatment. In that conversation he informed me that treating a healthy, mature tree is a viable, cost-effective option. The City wouldn

Archived