Winchester Corridor Revitalization

Rardy

Today's CA has an article about a new group called the Winchester Corridor Revitalization Initiative which aims to restore Winchester and eliminate the empty storefronts between Mendenhall and Riverdale.

It's headed by Phyllis Betts of the U of M and Nick Clark (remember him?).

Headed by University of Memphis professor Dr. Phyllis Betts, the three-month-old group's first project is securing funds to complete a market study. The $50,000 analysis will be conducted by Social Compact. The Washington-based organization encourages reinvestment in urban communities by using "real time" data to paint a fuller picture of a neighborhood's demographics.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am unfamilar with this area. What was causing the trade at these big box retailers to decline? A decline in the neighborhood economy, crime, etc.

I assume the Winchester group probably would focus on refilling these big box retailers with the best options available. Be it new big box retailers, or firms willing to redevelop the properties as smaller lots. Some companies like Big Lots, Tractor Supply, Aarons, and organizations like Goodwill do good refits of old big box stores for their outlets. These businesses aren't Best Buy and Target, but they are good retailers/businesses/organizations. I have not seen how well these firms do in a bigger market like Memphis, but in the smaller markets like Union City, Martin, Jackson, etc the commercial areas they take on tend to revitalize substantially.

Well...development on Winchester has always pushed farther and farther east, leaving the old areas behind. The Hickory Hill area was built and Fox Meadows was left behind. Now Southwind is building up and Hickory Hill's being abandoned. There are social and economic reasons for this, but for the most part, it has to do with real and perceived crime in the area.

Some claim that 385 bypassed the area and businesses have been relocating next to it, but Riverdale next to 385 is boarding up too.

Well...development on Winchester has always pushed farther and farther east, leaving the old areas behind. The Hickory Hill area was built and Fox Meadows was left behind. Now Southwind is building up and Hickory Hill's being abandoned. There are social and economic reasons for this, but for the most part, it has to do with real and perceived crime in the area.

Some claim that 385 bypassed the area and businesses have been relocating next to it, but Riverdale next to 385 is boarding up too.

I remember AC Wharton saying something about halting neighborhood decay at Riverdale. The area isn't dead but its on life support. Stores like Target was replaced by "Big Daddys Pawn Shop" :lol: Also, the Hispanic population has made it into a shopping hub of sorts further helping delay the decay of the neighborhood. I think the majority of Hispanics in Memphis are Mexican so we can maybe turn it into a Mexican themed area similar to Little Sagion. I can't imagine it becoming a "walkable, urban community" anytime soon so big box stores might be what the area needs.

Archived