Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

I forgot to report this. They seem to have had the 2 small streets that next to the buildings to be demolished cordoned off for 2 days now. There have been some dump trucks and other small equipment working there but it's hard to tell what they're doing. The last article said demolition could be underway by the end of the summer so I wonder if they're beginning to step in that direction?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to report this. They seem to have had the 2 small streets that next to the buildings to be demolished cordoned off for 2 days now. There have been some dump trucks and other small equipment working there but it's hard to tell what they're doing. The last article said demolition could be underway by the end of the summer so I wonder if they're beginning to step in that direction?

It appears that the parking lot is now completely closed. There is yellow tape and cones now around it. I haven't seen anything official but there is a lot of paint on the sidewalks marking utilities. Looks like they may be getting ready to start something...

It appears that the parking lot is now completely closed. There is yellow tape and cones now around it. I haven't seen anything official but there is a lot of paint on the sidewalks marking utilities. Looks like they may be getting ready to start something...

I hope so vdogg. We've been talking about this project for a long time now. I would love to finally see something happen with this.

I hope so vdogg. We've been talking about this project for a long time now. I would love to finally see something happen with this.

I have received confirmation from the city that lot 31 is closed for good due to site preparation for the Hilton. I must admit to feeling some bit of happiness that this project is finally moving forward, even as flawed as it is. I don't plan on making a progress thread though until demolition is actually underway.

I have received confirmation from the city that lot 31 is closed for good due to site preparation for the Hilton. I must admit to feeling some bit of happiness that this project is finally moving forward, even as flawed as it is. I don't plan on making a progress thread though until demolition is actually underway.

I just hope the exterior and interior make us forget the trials.

There were 2 backhoes and some other smaller construction equipment on site today. There were also several men in hardhats and several white pickup trucks from "Waco Demolition Inc.". I feel fairly safe making a progress thread now.

Great news! I know it's been awhile since we've seen the released renderings (which I feel didn't give us a great idea of what it'll look like). Have any new graphics come out recently?

No, nothing new. Just the same rendering as in the projects thread. I seriously doubt we're gonna get any better renderings than what's been put out. We'll just have to bite our nails until this building is actually completed.

I saw the same thing this morning, thought maybe it was equipment for utility work. I saw parking still taking place, but it could have been from the workers. I didn't see too many workers to account for the cars.......

But I hope its the real deal...I hope they do not tease us like GT and start the utility work then gray us over with no activity at all....

Since there has been virtually no publicity lately, I doubt this is a publicity stunt. Also, aren't the condos gone from this project, leaving just the hotel portion, which is in very high demand. I don't think we'll see any smoke and mirrors on this one.

I saw the same thing this morning, thought maybe it was equipment for utility work. I saw parking still taking place, but it could have been from the workers. I didn't see too many workers to account for the cars.......

But I hope its the real deal...I hope they do not tease us like GT and start the utility work then gray us over with no activity at all....

This is definitely the real deal, Lot 31 is closed. They already did the majority of the utility work last year, they're now finishing up with the remnants and prepping the buildings for demolition (no small task). As I said in an earlier post, I received confirmation from the city that this was site work directly related to the Hilton and that lot 31 is closed for good. I don't think there is any reason for them to lie to me about that.

Demolition imminent, preservation alliance tries to force delay

As the city and a private developer prepare to raze three historic buildings downtown for a new hotel and convention center, preservationists are mounting a petition drive to force the city to delay the demolition and talk about other options.

They're seeking an ordinance that would set meetings with the public over a 120-day period to discuss the potential for incorporating the buildings into the project's design.

They said the effort is a last resort, as there are signs that demolition is imminent.

One of the buildings, last occupied by Ikon Document Services and originally by Watt Rettew & Clay furniture, was placarded as unsafe by the city Fire Department this week, with "demo" written on the signs. Windows have been removed from the Decker and the Bee-croft & Bull buildings.

And excavators and portable toilets have arrived.

I agree with the Preservation Alliance on this issue. I know everyone is anxious to get this project started, but I am less than enthusiastic about the loss of three more historically significant structures in Downtown Norfolk. I think the Alliance is at least asking the city to put forth a good faith effort to save the facades of all three buildings and to incorporate them into the new development. So much of Downtown Norfolk has been razed in the name of "progress". The city should do everything in its power to maintain what is left.

I agree with the Preservation Alliance on this issue. I know everyone is anxious to get this project started, but I am less than enthusiastic about the loss of three more historically significant structures in Downtown Norfolk. I think the Alliance is at least asking the city to put forth a good faith effort to save the facades of all three buildings and to incorporate them into the new development. So much of Downtown Norfolk has been razed in the name of "progress". The city should do everything in its power to maintain what is left.

I agree 100%.

I'm as old and sentimental as anyone, but I just don't see what's so great or important about those facades. Nevertheless, I respect the fact that others do and I think the City should at least discuss this issue openly and objectively with the public.

I'm not going to lie. I'm anxious to get this show on the road. This project has been on the radar screen since 2004. I think more effort should have been made at that time regarding saving the structures, it was already apparent then that they'd probably have to come down. It's simply too little to late. Perhaps there should be some mechanism in place, such as a historical review board, that looks at each and every project that comes down the pipe to see how much they will affect existing historical surroundings. This should be done before the project even gets to design review so that concerns, and solutions to these concerns, are raised and dealt with early on. Too often it seems that people don't become truly active in the process until the bulldozers are already rolling and then start circulating emergency petitions. We've seen it with Belmont, the warehouses in Fort Norfolk, and now to a lesser extent here.

when you say keep the facade, what are you saying exactly?

Are you saying only keep front wall and demo the rest?

Will they actually have enough space to use it for something in the future...Sounds like it will be only a decorated wall of some type..

I agree that this is old news and that efforts to save those facades are untimely now. It probably isn't in the City's best interests to delay this thing over these old facades. What functional or historical role would they play if preserved? What great events or artistic accomplishment do they represent? Could the facades be removed and reassembled elsewhere and if so why would someone do it and who should pay for it? I know the immediate response is that they are part of our heritage--but in what significant way? Just old? A hair from someone's gramma imbedded in a brick? A drop of sweat from Lord Dunmore in the mortar? A chicken feather from an Elvis dining orgy under the sidewalk?

The City is already relocating the Decker building facade to Granby St. I'd say they have attempted to compromise as much as possible with the preservationists on these buildings. IMO, the Ikon building doesn't have much aesthetical value, by the look of its exterior anyway. Lets just move on with the Hilton already!!

I have yet to see an old facade worked into a new structure that I liked. Additions are tricky as well and I've seen plenty the don't really work. It's very sad to see "old" buildings come down, but it's far sadder to see a saved facade glued onto something new. That's just creepy. What happens in the long run? Do you keep recycling that old facade? Will someone just build the old building back onto that old facade again one day? Too much of Norfolk has been knocked down for sure. I'm getting depressed now. That Hilton better be a knock-out. But really, Norfolk will just knock it down soon enough anyway.

Archived