Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Virginian-Pilot article just echoes what I have always thought about the demolition of the Beechcroft & Bull, Decker, and Ikon buildings downtown, but someone might want to read this if they're interested. It suggests that the demolition of the aforementioned buildings might have a negative affect on downtown Norfolk's status as a historic district.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...7&ran=96924

Is it a sure thing that the new hotel is going to be a full-service Hilton or perhaps one of Hilton's other brands, such as Garden Inn? Richmond thought for a long time that the former Miller & Rhoads flagship store was going to be a full-service Hilton, but turns out it will be a very upscale version of Hilton's Garden Inn.

For 125 million, mostly public, dollars I'm really doubting that this is going to be a garden inn. :lol:

Well, some $80 + million is going into the M&R Hilton G.I. which is only restoration of an existing building, not construction from ground up. ;)

And by the way, GI's can be very high quality Hilton properties.

Is it a sure thing that the new hotel is going to be a full-service Hilton or perhaps one of Hilton's other brands, such as Garden Inn? Richmond thought for a long time that the former Miller & Rhoads flagship store was going to be a full-service Hilton, but turns out it will be a very upscale version of Hilton's Garden Inn.

It's a Full-Service Hilton. I recall those exact words in an article.

I would remain wary of any sort of star designation just yet. Cities love to demand that a hotel will be a "four" or "five star" development, but until the ratings actually come in, there is little guarantee that a particular hotel will earn them. A certain insurance against this may be obtained in the citing of particular elements of design, but the eventual designation cannot be guaranteed. With Hilton, the eventual product is far more likely to earn three stars, at least from the Mobil guide.

Wow, great shots vdogg. It's a little sad right now, but I think we'll all be happy in the end. At least, I hope so. :)

I wish they would release an updated rendering, maybe it would ease some concerns. To me, the current rendering looks too... ummm, 'disposable' or 'temporary'. I just never felt like that was meant to be the final design.

I wish they would release an updated rendering, maybe it would ease some concerns. To me, the current rendering looks too... ummm, 'disposable' or 'temporary'. I just never felt like that was meant to be the final design.

Weren't those balconies on the top floors in the rendering supposed to be condos? I wonder, like cpeak, if these are final renderings?

I would remain wary of any sort of star designation just yet. Cities love to demand that a hotel will be a "four" or "five star" development, but until the ratings actually come in, there is little guarantee that a particular hotel will earn them. A certain insurance against this may be obtained in the citing of particular elements of design, but the eventual designation cannot be guaranteed. With Hilton, the eventual product is far more likely to earn three stars, at least from the Mobil guide.

Good point, I think there is only around 5 four or five star hotels in Virginia, two being resorts, and the others being Ritz Carltons in NOVA and the Jefferson in Richmond. I hope the city made sure they dotted every I and crossed every t on this deal, because if this hotel only becomes a 3 star, it would have been a big waste of money in my opinion.

Good point, I think there is only around 5 four or five star hotels in Virginia, two being resorts, and the others being Ritz Carltons in NOVA and the Jefferson in Richmond. I hope the city made sure they dotted every I and crossed every t on this deal, because if this hotel only becomes a 3 star, it would have been a big waste of money in my opinion.

There are only 37 hotels in North America that enjoy Mobil's 5-star rating and almost as few are rated with 5-diamonds by the AAA.

The Jefferson in Richmond and The Inn at Little Washington are the only two in Virginia that rate 5-stars (Mobil) and 5-diamonds (AAA).

Both Ritz Carltons in NOVA (Mclean and Pentagon City) are rated 4-diamonds. AAA is sparing in awarding 4-diamonds, The Historic Page House Inn at 323 Fairfax in Norfolk is one of them as are the Colonial Williamsburg Inn and Liberty Rose B&B in the Colonial Capital. The Berkeley Hotel and Virginia Crossings Resort in Richmond also are rated 4-diamond, but I was unable to find others listed in the DC/HR crescent.. The Westin at Virginia Beach almost assuredly will earn high ratings.

I won't miss it until I see what's replaced it. If the building that replaces it is ugly and bland then I'll miss it a lot. If, however, the structure turns out better than expected and helps to unify the urban fabric downtown then I won't miss it at all. I've got 2 years to make a decision on this. :unsure:

...because if this hotel only becomes a 3 star, it would have been a big waste of money in my opinion.

Get ready for it, because it is highly unlikely that this, or the TC Westin will get four stars or four diamonds, especially in the first five years.

As far as Mobil's Stars -- there are no Hiltons or Westins in the country that have as high as four stars. So highly unlikely that either will ever be rated over three stars.

As far as AAA's Diamonds, there are no Hiltons or Westins with five diamonds. There is a smattering of four diamond Hiltons or Westins, but they tend to be in large national conference markets, such as Chicago and New York. These markets have the demographics that will pay the room rates that can support the service and amenities it takes to earn those ratings. Just not likely that our regional or government focused conference market will justify the necessary room rates.

Sorry, but just not a realistic expectation.

Archived