Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

I think I was a little confused myself. The site says they're open until 2 am "Saturday through Sunday"...there's no specific Sunday hours posted online. Still, seems a little odd for a bar or lounge to close so early. Maybe they'll expand the hours in the future.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Yeah, but should a Hilton have this kind of issue in a metro of almost 2 million people? I was there this weekend and was disappointed, but am chalking it up to growing pains as well. But, if they can't provide basic services, they are not going to succeed.

Clearly, there is room for improvement. I'm not qualified to actually make a judgment on whether there is a shortage of hospitality workers in the region,  or if hotel management has done a poor job with recruiting. Or both. My guess is that there is an actual worker shortage. Remember also that we're entering high tourist season, so demand for workers is increasing.  Couple that with both The Main and Waterside looking for over one thousand employees, combined, and what you've got is a whole pile of jobs available all at once.

We might have 1.8 million people residing in greater HR, but the actual drive-time population pool to Downtown is probably closer to 1.2 million.

This was a partial, aka "soft opening". Many parts of the main don't open officially till this weekend I believe. Saltine was only open at the bar, but the seated dining area is currently closed. All places are doing substantial business when they are open. Everything should be officially open and on regular hours by the end of may.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Main for the first time last night. This is an absolutely beautiful motel. Parking is free to go eat there, but don't lose the ticket that the machine spits out. The staff are okay with locals wandering about checking out the place, so we did. There's even a map to all the artwork that the info desk hands out. The first five floors are the only ones open to the general public (got to have a room key to get access to the upper floors, and yeah i tried). Insanely huge convention spaces on the 3rd and 4th floor. Supposedly the largest ballroom in Virginia. We went to Grain to have a few beers. Place opened at 5 pm and was packed by 7 pm, when we arrived. More than 60 beers on tap, including Norfolk's own brews Smartmouth and O'Connor, plus a very good selection of imports. Nice place, with very attentive staff, and nice comfy atmosphere. Also, it's the most casual attire place in the Main. By the way, getting to sit next to the pitfire on the front patio is dang near impossible. That's prime real estate! Things did ease up a little by 9 pm, so maybe the flashy new thing appeal is starting to wear off a little. Had a great time, but the beers are, of course, a tad more expensive than your local neighborhood bar.

chess.jpg

pitfire.jpg

kathnjeffgrain.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I walk right in front of this beautiful place a few times a week, whether I'm on my way somewhere or just getting some exercise. And every time I pass the big revolving doors and step under the huge glass canopied drop off area, I hear a greeter/Bellman giving a most professional greeting to the arrivals. And there are always folks arriving. "Welcome to The Main! How was your drive?"     And it goes on from there. Reminds me of how you are received by major hotels in large cities.

Something about pulling up to this place makes you feel as if you're entering a truly special, modern oasis. 

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to share my experience with staying in the hotel for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Nice building, definitely did not have the "Hampton Roads" feel once you step inside and quite honestly, outside either. The hotel is definitely a step up from what I'm use to from the area and I think it may have a lot to do with the location. The restaurants were classy, parties going on in different locations. Paintings and decor were nice as many have stated. The hotel was 100% booked, so needless to say, it was a ton of traffic. The sat. night I was there, granby was modest, activity, but not bustling but I believe first friday was the night before, so I would have expected it not to be as crowded.

Disappointments:

The room costed me $300 a night, more than I typically need to lay my head down at night, but whatever.
The beds and bedding was less than stellar. I've had far superior beds at lesser priced hotels.
and my lord, the bathrooms, I would give it a 4.5 out of 10 for the price point. I had to call the front desk and say "Hey, my room as a tub in it". I was probably disappointed with that th emost
Breakfast was definitely overpriced, about $20 a person, not including a drink for the most basic of breakfast food. They call parking validation, but it really ins't.

Overall, I guess my kids enjoyed it, they were their most of the time while me and the wife attended a wedding. I guess I have a neutral experience with it but i'm not giving up any room on those bathrooms (just terrible). They were a total disappointment at that price point. You can definitely see where they skimmed on a few things, bathroom being one of them.  The condos at the top originally planed should have been a keeper. I see how that could have been a gem for many people and the area.

Archived