Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Predicition for urban planet quotes when the Hilton finally gets built in 2020:

"This looks like something out of the 2000's"

"Its sleek yet retro looking harkening to another era"

"Can we put this thing on the historic registry yet? The plan is as old as I am"

"Look at how small that green roof is on the building footprint"

I did not. I actually live in Fredericksburg now, but lived in Richmond the past two years finishing my masters in urban planning. I wish I had been able to go.....there is too much in Virginia going on to keep up with!

Out of curiousity, what was the detail in the Hilton discussion?

Yes, but they're growing some boxwoods on the fourth floor

Let's not get too excited about a garden on the fifth floor. Any artist can draw trees on a rendering. But that is something that is easy to delete when the dollars get tight. And even if they put them in initially, it takes money to maintain them. When a tree dies, will they replace it? Look at the rendering again and imagine the trees are gone. That is what you will probably see for the next 20 years.

Looks like another boring Downtown box!

Fo Sho'...I believe as time passes the design will become more bland to save money. I certainly understand the economics behind these decisions, I just wish we could support better design in the area.

In another victory for all of us that want to have this built BUT a setback to anyone (myself included) on hoping that the last minute delays in the past 2 months would make time for a architectural redesign. Oh well, this project has been on the burner for more than 3 years and it's time to just get it to happen...

Norfolk ends debate on building at future Hilton site.

I'm pretty bummed about the fact that the B&B will be gone, but there are still other historic buildings downtown that are just as historic, if not more...and worth protecting, I might add. I hope this is the last straw for the city in obliterating living history before our eyes. All in all, I can't say I'll be doing back flips when the Hilton is finally built, because I'm not sure if anything about it will make it dramatically unique as compared to other Hiltons in this area. I'm getting the funniest feeling that it's not going to be as luxurious as was once thought. Still, I say, let's move on.

I guess I'm not happy with the its replacement. Its more of a filler project if anything although the city needs the hotel space. If anything, one big box (as someone mentioned) filling in a surface lot at the down fall of historical structures. If your going to do that, at least make what your replacing "POP".

I know I've touched on this so many times before, but this deeply saddens me. If this obliteration of Norfolk's historic places continues, pretty soon we won't have any living history to pride ourselves on. Oh yeah, except in photographs and Power Point presentations...how fun. :mellow:

The council, for all the good things they've done...light rail, reviving downtown, Macarthur Center...this is that one big blemish that just stares back at you, no matter how much you try to ignore it. At least in Northern Virginia, people understand the need to preserve historic architecture and that it is not viewed as simply being "old" but history in living color, works of art, and structures that charm visitors and maintain a sense of identity of their location.

If Norfolk continues to tear down all these historic buildings, simply because they think they're in the way of raising property values, then Norfolk won't look too much different from Va Beach or Chesapeake, as far as architecture is concerned. It's one thing to suggest the Mayor step down or be voted out of office, but it's better to hope for new leadership in return, leadership that is more open-minded with a broader variety of experiences in other more progressive urban areas.

And the sad part is, this Hilton may not be as glamorous as once thought. If that's the case, then our historic gems have been erased forever. To incorporate the facades into the Hilton structure would be insulting at best. They might as well leave that out of the plan. To me, it would just be too bitter/sweet and sort of a mockery of artistic expression. I know I'm on my soap box, but I'm an artist and was an art student for years in college, so I suppose one can understand how this bothers me. It's sort of like building that sand castle on the beach when you were a kid and the big mean kid just comes over and destroys it with his feet. :lol:

Anyway, what's done is done, but I think at this point it would be wise of the preservationists to act now to prevent, or atleast influence, any future decisions from the city council concerning the existance of historic buildings. In the meantime, let's just get this Hilton built and over with. It shouldn't have taken this long to begin with. It's moments like these that make me want to leave this entire area. Let's be more open-minded people!

It's moments like these that make me want to leave this entire area. Let's be more open-minded people!

Give me a break. I understand your frustration and I certainly agree with your points about preserving history. This bothers me too. But I can assure all of you, Norfolk did not invent this. This problem exists EVERYWHERE. The National Trust for Historic Preservation and other organizations were not created because of Hampton Roads. Stop threatening to "leave the area." Start fighting for what you believe in, instead of threatening to run away. You'll just be running off to another town that does the same thing. And yes, Northern Virginia and everywhere else does this type of thing too. Yeh, I'm angry too. But let's be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Turning your back on this is part of the problem. It makes me laugh when I read the comments about voters are paying attention. And then what happens, a mighty 40% turnout. I'm sure city council is shaking in its boots.

Give me a break. I understand your frustration and I certainly agree with your points about preserving history. This bothers me too. But I can assure all of you, Norfolk did not invent this. This problem exists EVERYWHERE. The National Trust for Historic Preservation and other organizations were not created because of Hampton Roads. Stop threatening to "leave the area." Start fighting for what you believe in, instead of threatening to run away. You'll just be running off to another town that does the same thing. And yes, Northern Virginia and everywhere else does this type of thing too. Yeh, I'm angry too. But let's be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Turning your back on this is part of the problem. It makes me laugh when I read the comments about voters are paying attention. And then what happens, a mighty 40% turnout. I'm sure city council is shaking in its boots.

Whoa whoa whoa...where do you come off with the "give me a break" and "stop threatening"? My comments were not a threat and definitely not targeting you...whoever you are. I doubt you'd approach me like that in person. Thank God for the internet eh?

You're right I am turning my back on this issue, because for the most part it's out of my hands at least for now and I'm not going to have sleepless nights over it. I have a job and family to attend to. I don't think I have the responsibiltity of being part of the solution as much as the city council does. I have the right not to forfeit my future successes by not waiting around for things to get better? Sure there are other localities, including Northern Virginia, that are experiencing the same problems, okay...but to what degree as compared to Norfolk?

I like Norfolk too. I was born here and have been fervent about things getting better. I have vehemently defended it. The reason why I was so passionate in my previous comment shows that I do care. I'm sorry that wasn't obvious to you. This notion that I'm not fighting for what I believe in sounds like an argument I've made to the nay-sayers millions of times. Been there and done that.

honestly Norfolk already is a young city again. It has already destroyed so much of its history that it is impossible to consider the city to be on par with many of the historic cities on the east coast anymore. I think this is why there should be so much of an outcry to preserve what still stands and truly raise the bar on what architecture is being built. Norfolk owes it to itself to replace the history it has lost with architecture that future generations can be proud of.

Whoa whoa whoa...where do you come off with the "give me a break" and "stop threatening"? My comments were not a threat and definitely not targeting you...whoever you are. I doubt you'd approach me like that in person. Thank God for the internet eh?

You're right I am turning my back on this issue, because for the most part it's out of my hands at least for now and I'm not going to have sleepless nights over it. I have a job and family to attend to. I don't think I have the responsibiltity of being part of the solution as much as the city council does. I have the right not to forfeit my future successes by not waiting around for things to get better? Sure there are other localities, including Northern Virginia, that are experiencing the same problems, okay...but to what degree as compared to Norfolk?

I like Norfolk too. I was born here and have been fervent about things getting better. I have vehemently defended it. The reason why I was so passionate in my previous comment shows that I do care. I'm sorry that wasn't obvious to you. This notion that I'm not fighting for what I believe in sounds like an argument I've made to the nay-sayers millions of times. Been there and done that.

I certainly agree with both of your points, but lets not take it there. We know you both mean well.

Archived