Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In today's article in the Pilot highlighting LTD, they've hedged away from calling it the Hilton project downtown, it's now the major hotel and convention center. That would make it appear like Hilton is almost certainly out of the picture. Looking at their prefered chain portfolio and given the hotels occupying downtown already (Marriot, Sheraton, etc) i think a Westin in downtown Norfolk is looking more and more like a realistic expecation with this project. :w00t: I was hoping for an inadvertent slip up in the article but no dice. They do have loose ties to Hilton (Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn) but have as of now not constructed any full service Hiltons. However having just opened a Westin in Maryland, there is a chance...

I would love to have a Westin downtown but I really don't think they're gonna put 2 of these in our market. They just opened their first hotel in our area and it hasn't been open long enough to gauge how well it's being received by our market. At this point, they'd be competing against themselves.

InterContinental is more international and big city. W is more hip city. So I think it will remain a Hilton, might become a Hyatt. I would also bet on one of InterContinental's (IHG) more business oriented brands such as Crowne Plaza or the new Indigo Hotel (IHG's lower budget answer to W) and Hilton's other brands of Doubletree and Embassy Suites.

Definitely won't be a Hyatt, DoubleTree or Embassy Suite. Hyatt LTD has no affiliation with, DoubleTree already exists in downtown, and DoubleTree and Embassy are too 'low-brow' for what the city wants for this. The city is envisioning this as the crown jewel hotel in downtown, three or four star full service facilities. While i think Hilton is still a possibility, why the change from the Hilton downtown to 'major hotel'? Also, keep in mind Burfoot's comment about developers wanting to bring a Westin downtown when the plans with RLJ were failing; LTD was coveted by City Council, in fact Fraim asked William Fuller specifically to attempt to partner with LTD. A W would be great, but unlikely; I think it's between Hilton and Westin, and signs are pointing towards the latter....

off topic, has anyone else staying in an aloft hotel before? Looks fantastic, and apparently LTD is opening one in Chesapeake next year

InterContinental is more international and big city. W is more hip city. So I think it will remain a Hilton, might become a Hyatt. I would also bet on one of InterContinental's (IHG) more business oriented brands such as Crowne Plaza or the new Indigo Hotel (IHG's lower budget answer to W) and Hilton's other brands of Doubletree and Embassy Suites.

Last summer, Hilton Hotels sold all its properties to The Blackstone Group. Yet, hotels bearing the Hilton name are still rising.

Starwoods is the mother ship of Sheraton, aLoft, W and other brands.

Here's another possibility:

http://www.jameshotels.com/index.php

I'm in San Diego this week and this city is awesome! I always visit other cities and come home wishing we had just a fraction of the same urban elements. Hopefully one day...

I've been going to San Diego once a year for since 2000. The city is great but I've come to call it Norfolk on Steroids. There are things that I don't like with it though. Areas that are at or below the poverty level are worse than what we have and there are many comercial zones in the city that I view as "slum businesses and blight". However the city's downtown and the zoo are world class jewels and I wish Norfolk could be as such one day. Sorry for being off topic. I still prefer Intercontinental or Westin before the Hilton.

No word on a new rendering and actual construction start date as of yet?

Construction starts when the last building is demolished. They will begin by prepping the site and taking it to a few feet below grade, driving test piles, etc. I've heard nothing about a new rendering, nor do I particulary believe they will do anything other than add 3 floors to the rendering that just came out.

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like they still have some utility work to do.

NORFOLK During business hours for the next three months, the southbound lane of Martin's Lane downtown will be closed for storm water and sewage line improvements for the city's new conference center. The closure will take place from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. through March 31. Access to the TowneBank parking lot will be maintained. The Waterside garage will exit toward East Main Street only.

• 3 weeks later...

:thumbsup:

Construction on the convention hotel, which is likely to be a Westin, will begin later this year. Thakkar and Desai said the project has grown in scope and will rise between 24 and 26 stories, compared to the planned 16, which will make it one of the taller buildings in the area.

Thakkar and Desai said it will be topped off with eight or 10 condominiums.

"All of them will be presold," Thakkar said, who added that it's likely family members will purchase most of them.

This is awesome news! Sorry for making new thread topic, this should go under the Norfolk Hilton Thread, but I was excited. Way to go LTD Company. TWO westins in this Market, now that shows that we are deseirable

Norfolk Westin!?

*** I hope this is not a Pilot Typo. They have been having those lately***

I just read this on the Pilot myself and was about to post it. Sounds like great news about both the height increase and support for the hotel project and the solid interest from companies to fill up the Wachovia office tower. May we see some height increase in that too?

Awesome!

Metalman

That's the best news I have heard about this project yet. If the hotel is indeed a Westin, this will be big news for Norfolk. All in all, Westin is generally a bit stronger than Hilton- at least in terms of its brand alone. This should be very good for the city and the area as a whole.

:D:D:D:D

I'm beaming because my powers of deduction looked to have been proved right.

Fingers are crossed but definitely great news, as well as the rise in height. Adding LTD management into the building (as residents) is good news as well, move vested interest in getting it right

Can it be? Good news in downtown Norfolk for once? :D New renderings here we come, I now have to update the projects list for both the Hampton Inn and the new Westin. What a great statement about our market that Westin feels we can support 2 of these. I cannot emphasize enough how rare this is outside some very large cities. The Westin in VB must be doing pretty good. LOL at how this project started at 25, lost its condos and dropped to 20, lost hotel rooms and dropped to 16, gained hotel rooms and rose to 19, gained condos and grew to 26. :lol: Quite the roller coaster ride we've been on.

Good news, at 24-26 stories, this will be one of the tallest buildings in the region.

region? are you referring to the few blocks that surround it? Yes, from the sounds of it, this building should be about 300ft tall, but definitely not the tallest in the region.

It is good to see it will be a Westin, that hopefully means that it will have a better approach to its design. Basically, it will probably look like a cousin tower to the Marriott. But it should look classy and fit into the area nicely. Norfolk really deserves something like a Westin. I have always wanted to see that city play with the big boys more.

Although, it would be fun to see Westin take a stab at something really modern in design and push the quality of architecture in Norfolk to this new century of design. Oh and something very environmentally friendly wouldnt hurt either.

Basically, it will probably look like a cousin tower to the Marriott. But it should look classy and fit into the area nicely.

I would be very disappointed if this is what we get. I'm still a fan of the old Hilton design. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what we get when a new rendering is made public. I was hoping we'd get something out of Fraim's State of the City address.

Archived