Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

Westin deal completed

Well damn, it's 23-stories now. Still better than 16 and at least it's moving forward.

Slated to open in 2011, the 23-story Norfolk Westin and Conference Center will have

301 guest rooms featuring 12 luxury suites on ten floors. The 50,000 square foot

conference center will have a 21,000 square foot Grand Ballroom, a 4,000 square foot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this is from the architects website, and the thing looks like it's 40 stories. :lol: I just don't get it, all the renderings look a lot taller than 23 floors. Could the Norfolk site be wrong? Wouldn't be the first time. If you put those 6 floors of presold condos on top of that 23 floors you get 29, which is closer to the elevation of the rendering.

Is it just me or does this rendering strikingly resembles wachovia center ?

I thought the same thing. It's slimmer though, which is nice.

vdogg, I only counted 21 floors, but the photo is a bit fuzzy. I think this would look fantastic as a 500 footer. At 21 or 23 stories, it falls into the "meh" category. Being that it's something close in height to Trader and Marriott, does it also have to be whiteish? Downtown Norfolk is going to start looking like one giant white plateau from the west.

I thought the same thing. It's slimmer though, which is nice.

vdogg, I only counted 21 floors, but the photo is a bit fuzzy. I think this would look fantastic as a 500 footer. At 21 or 23 stories, it falls into the "meh" category. Being that it's something close in height to Trader and Marriott, does it also have to be whiteish? Downtown Norfolk is going to start looking like one giant white plateau from the west.

Hey, don't complain about height. I have seen several short and boxy, very bland Westin Hotels in northern Virginia. It does look more in the 25-30 story range though.

you know, that rendering doesn't do it justice either. You would think they would put it with a city scape background scnie it will be surroudned by buildings not fields and trees.... ugh,....

Hey, don't complain about height. I have seen several short and boxy, very bland Westin Hotels in northern Virginia. It does look more in the 25-30 story range though.

you know, that rendering doesn't do it justice either. You would think they would put it with a city scape background scnie it will be surroudned by buildings not fields and trees.... ugh,....

I'm not sure that Northern Virginia is the best case study as a stage for stellar highrise design... and I haven't seen many Westins that are cutting edge. The ones I can think of that have tried to be "fresh" failed miserably IMO (think Westin Times Square). So obviously we can't expect starchitecture. There are plenty of large ones about, though.

I thought the same thing about this rendering. It reminds me of the first renderings we saw for the Va Beach Westin, set within a coniferous forest under the aurora borealis. An image that shows us what this thing will look like in the context of Downtown Norfolk would be great.

keep in mind that convention center space is usually taller floors than typical floors, plus if you throw in the mechanical needs of the building which sometimes dont count in the flooring numbers. Plus the location of this tower, it is going to be noticed no matter what and as long as the architecture tries to look timeless and simple, it cant go wrong. I say this will be a nice addition to the city, just wish the rendering was better quality.

ARCHITECT'S WEBSITE

If you look at the website of the architect firm that designed the westin that is going to be built on the corner of Main & Granby, there is a rendering for a westin hotel and residences on St Pauls Blvd.

It looks like the Snyder Lot at St Pauls Blvd & City Hall Ave.

Was there a proposal for the Snyder lot that we didn't know about??? :o

The one here in Richmond is "meh". It is a seven story "L" shaped box in the immediate western burbs. The facade is made of stucco and reflective glass.

This one for Norfolk is much more better in terms of architectural quality... you guys should be very happy.

Actually, this rendering is exactly 23 stories. The orange section is 7 floors and indicates where the conference center will be. There are 16 shorter floors on top. I wouldn't put too much stock in the rendering I found on the Costas Kondylis. It's probably old and this rendering looks far closer to a finished product. Not too bad IMO.

newWestin.jpg

Was there a proposal for the Snyder lot that we didn't know about??? :o

We may have accidentally stumbled on the rendering that was intended for that fabled 35-40 story tower. I'm curious who first proposed that, and if their plans were eventually scrapped now. This could also be one of the renderings that was submitted for the RFP process a year ago.

Actually, this rendering is exactly 23 stories. The orange section is 7 floors and indicates where the conference center will be. There are 16 shorter floors on top. I wouldn't put too much stock in the rendering I found on the Costas Kondylis. It's probably old and this rendering looks far closer to a finished product. Not too bad IMO.

newWestin.jpg

Sorry for quoting the image, but I think this one deserves to be. I really like this concept. I can't wait to book my room!

^^^Yeah. In the grand scheme of things 2 floors doesn't mean that much. We finally have architecture worthy of a large city. It is modern and sleek and I am ecstatic that it's being built here. :)

Yes. I agree. I like the design, its sleek and modern and uses lots of glass. Not a big box in the sky like Dominion, the color scheme in the rendering is also good. Finally got a nice design from an outside architect. The firm is based in NYC right? No more CMSS... :lol:

I think it's a good design also. Think Chicago or any other large American city. Cheers for another high-rise for our region. :thumbsup:

If the top six floors are residences any guesses to the number of units that might be.. 18-24 maybe?

Haha vdogg I was thinking the same thing. Why do people always get so uptight about progress? Comparing Norfolk to Charlotte also cracks me up b/c Charlotte, Atlanta, etc.... aren't the freakin promise land. I guess it is the grass is greener mentality.

Anyway, congrats to Norfolk for a fine looking tower and a WESTIN! This will look great along with the other additions to your growing downtown.

The people commenting on the pilot are absolute morons. Why do I keep punishing myself by going there and reading that inane crap? <_<

LOL! I just did the same thing and had the same thought. I finished reading the article and simply could not stop myself from scrolling down to read all of the comments. The sheer venom and negativity is depressing and totally mind numbing. "Ethan" is always good for some really ridiculous posts.

I think the design for this building looks fantastic. It will make such an impact on the Norfolk skyline. And a Westin in dowtown with an attached convention center will be a real boon to the city.

You can rest assured, there is always a bubble somewhere in Ethanland. ;)

Back to the design of this building, we have 8 or 9 months until construction begins. Plenty of time for it to get taller if the market improves, or get watered down and bland if design review gets a hold of it. Lets all hope the latter doesn't happen.

Archived