Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that's a 16-story building if i've ever seen one. Time to update the projects listing. <_<

Hiltonrevised.jpg

It does look a bit more together though. Just wish it were taller.

[/quote/]

Maybe I can't count but that only looks like 14 floors to me. 5 at the base and 9 above it.

That is a perfect building for the spot it is on. If it were any taller, it simply would have blocked out trader completely, and I didn't want that. I like the stepped up look of skylines. I'm glad Trader will peer over this buildings. Compared to the parking lot that it's taking over for, it will give norfolk nice density and complete that part of norfolk fronting the Elizabeth River. Once this is built, it's time to rip down city hall and redevelope that area and begin expanding across bram.

Hiltonrevised.jpg

I don't like it! They messed up the only good part of the original plan which was the convention center with all the glass and overall urban designa then take the already bad hotel portion and made it worse by stealing it from Chesapeake and plopping it on top.

That is a perfect building for the spot it is on. If it were any taller, it simply would have blocked out trader completely, and I didn't want that. I like the stepped up look of skylines. I'm glad Trader will peer over this buildings. Compared to the parking lot that it's taking over for, it will give norfolk nice density and complete that part of norfolk fronting the Elizabeth River. Once this is built, it's time to rip down city hall and redevelope that area and begin expanding across bram.

I agree that this design is suitable for the location. Perhaps it's not exactly ideal, perhaps it could be flashier, but it serves a vital purpose, occupies previously vacant space and, as mentioned, will help establish the skyline without taking away from Trader's new prominence.

An interesting variety of opinions on this. I like it, especially if it gets built in Dover, Delaware. The trees help make it somewhat less of a shopping mall project. But I agree that it will work well on that site and that the height is appropriate for this modest design. It's actually a nice, gentle building that complements the Marriott.

it does look like something that would get built in virginia beach, maybe the town center even. It isn't a bad design, nor a good design. It will feel like an extension of the marriott for sure. but I think if johnson would of stayed on with this project, you guys would of been just as disappointed because I dont think his design was fully thought out and when costs came in, he would of taken shortcuts and left Norfolk with a building that looked cheap and thrown together.

Gross.

A blown-up, suburban hotel.

I agree its not inviting or exciting at all...

There is nothing in that rendering that's say "hey come stay here, you'll never forget it". No "wow factor", no "I'm the new kid of the block POW" to it. So they are going to run a full service hotel directly from the street. No pull in for buses or cabs..Valet parking will stink just like the Marriot...

What a wasit. This was the fear that I had for GT, it will be built, but scaled down............

Man oh man.. What a waisted opportunity...

At least the parking lot is gone........

I agree that this design is suitable for the location. Perhaps it's not exactly ideal, perhaps it could be flashier, but it serves a vital purpose, occupies previously vacant space and, as mentioned, will help establish the skyline without taking away from Trader's new prominence.

You know, I bet if this site existed back in the day, the same kind of comments would have been made about the Marriott. And damnit, I like the Marriott. The angles, the color. What's with all this glass obsession? Aren't NS and the big blue building enough? They don't really do much for me personally.

Where is the convention center in that picture? It look exactly like the Hilton built on the oceanfront. So much for a 4 star hotel.

You may not like the design, but the file does state "full service."

Archived