Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... Is the Hilton, not a Hilton anymore?

The Hilton is still a Hilton as far as I know. Why do you ask? :unsure:

The $47 million hotel, for which a flag has been selected but Thakkar declined to name, is part of a $125 million project that includes a city-built convention center.

Nevermind, I see it. Very interesting. I don't care what they call it as long as its a luxury hotel. Funny that the pilot didn't mention this though in their more recent article.

what a minute, what is going on now? I am confused. What hotels are being built and where in downtown?? We seriously need maps because all these mid level chain hotel talks are starting to confuse this out of towner.

Formerly Hilton (may or not stay Hilton) on Plume/Main (18-19 stories), Residence Inn on Boush St/Brambleton (9 stories) , Hampton Inn on Brambleton/York (15 stories). The Pilot is also counting the Extended Stay in Fort Norfolk Plaza as 'downtown' so include that off Colley and Atlantic. Those are the four we know about.

wow, that is alot of construction coming up which is good. Getting these chain hotels for Norfolk is a really good sign. They bring in alot of revenue and change the character of the streetscape making the city feel and act much bigger. Take the Marriott at Main St. That area looks like a serious city with all the hotel activity there. These will do wonders for the city, I can see that happening....and oldly enough I think it will be better than condo development, at least right now.

This will help stimulate office and retail growth downtown making it much easier to finance residential downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's to become part of the Hilton. It will be bolted to the exterior of the side facing Main St. The reason it's being moved is because the current location will be the service entrance (read: alley) to the hotel. But it is definitely going to be part of the building. The NPA was moving for the Beechcroft and Bull to become part of it as well, but the facade wasn't historically significant or worth the investment.

Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that Decker used to own that building. Or is it just mere coincidence that the only building (facade) to besaved of the three that were slated for demolition is the Decker building. With his ties to the city and it's leadership, I'd say that pulls some weight.

That said, I'm very happy that the facade at least, was saved!

I'm not an "I told you so" person, but this time I have to do it. I've been saying forever that when Decker sold his building to the City, the sale agreement specifically said that the facade would be preserved and moved to Granby Street alongside the the facades of the other buildings to be preserved. IKON and Beecroft&Bull were the only two buildings to be completely demolished. The facades of the other buildings on the Hilton site are to be preserved.

Not just the facades of those other buildings though. I'm pretty certain the current tenants of the Granby St buildings (Emerson's, American Rover, etc) will remain. I assume, then, that the Decker facade will be reconstructed adjacent to the row of buildings that currently fronts Granby St on that block?

Not just the facades of those other buildings though. I'm pretty certain the current tenants of the Granby St buildings (Emerson's, American Rover, etc) will remain. I assume, then, that the Decker facade will be reconstructed adjacent to the row of buildings that currently fronts Granby St on that block?

Yeah, I was always under the impression those buildings were not apart of the site. They would probably still be in property negotiations if they were. Besides, that is one of the best parts of downtown Norfolk that should be preserved as a reminder of what the city lost in the name of urban renewal.

I really wish they would take in consideration of the historical content for the site they want to build this hotel on. I think it would lead to a much better design....well it would if I were involved in it, but that is still a long way away for me.

It would be rebuilt next to those buildings. My understanding from 2 year old articles was that those buildings were to be part of the hotel. It would be weird having the hotel wrap around them. Kinda hard to tell from the renderings, though.

It would be rebuilt next to those buildings. My understanding from 2 year old articles was that those buildings were to be part of the hotel. It would be weird having the hotel wrap around them. Kinda hard to tell from the renderings, though.

Actually that isnt really that weird of an idea. It has been done many times before. Several buildings in Baltimore wrap around historic buildings. All up the east coast you can find things like that. Plus this is a large site to build a tower on, its just in Norfolk's jaded past, it has been much easier to tear down before building than to work around what is there and build a tower.

• 2 weeks later...

In today's article in the Pilot highlighting LTD, they've hedged away from calling it the Hilton project downtown, it's now the major hotel and convention center. That would make it appear like Hilton is almost certainly out of the picture. Looking at their prefered chain portfolio and given the hotels occupying downtown already (Marriot, Sheraton, etc) i think a Westin in downtown Norfolk is looking more and more like a realistic expecation with this project. :w00t: I was hoping for an inadvertent slip up in the article but no dice. They do have loose ties to Hilton (Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn) but have as of now not constructed any full service Hiltons. However having just opened a Westin in Maryland, there is a chance...

In today's article in the Pilot highlighting LTD, they've hedged away from calling it the Hilton project downtown, it's now the major hotel and convention center. That would make it appear like Hilton is almost certainly out of the picture. Looking at their prefered chain portfolio and given the hotels occupying downtown already (Marriot, Sheraton, etc) i think a Westin in downtown Norfolk is looking more and more like a realistic expecation with this project. :w00t: I was hoping for an inadvertent slip up in the article but no dice. They do have loose ties to Hilton (Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn) but have as of now not constructed any full service Hiltons. However having just opened a Westin in Maryland, there is a chance...

Would be awesome if they could get an Intercontinental there instead of Hilton or Westin.

Would be awesome if they could get an Intercontinental there instead of Hilton or Westin.

or a W Hotel would be cool

In my opinion Intercontinental is so so. I do a ton of business travel and always prefer Hilton over any priority club member chain even if Intercontinental is available. I just find them a little sub par not to say some of their hotels aren't nice. Just as an overall opinion, Hilton would be a better fit. W would be great but thats really stretching it, I don't think our economy could support a W hotel. Westin would be a huge win for Norfolk if they could make that happen. I'm in San Diego this week and this city is awesome! I always visit other cities and come home wishing we had just a fraction of the same urban elements. Hopefully one day...

In my opinion Intercontinental is so so. I do a ton of business travel and always prefer Hilton over any priority club member chain even if Intercontinental is available. I just find them a little sub par not to say some of their hotels aren't nice. Just as an overall opinion, Hilton would be a better fit. W would be great but thats really stretching it, I don't think our economy could support a W hotel. Westin would be a huge win for Norfolk if they could make that happen. I'm in San Diego this week and this city is awesome! I always visit other cities and come home wishing we had just a fraction of the same urban elements. Hopefully one day...

From my experience, the quality of Intercontinental is much more varied than Hilton, but I reasoned it had to more with buyouts of other chains than their own choices. I've found certain Hiltons' to better than others as well, but to my mind, the best Intercontinental's I've stayed at rival anything Hilton does; and I figured a bottom up designed Intercontinental in Norfolk could do well. A W would be stretching it I agree. My own personal preference would have been for a Loew's, but there isn't the cache/money in HR for that chain to setup shop here.

Archived