Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

A 26 floor tower there will have magnificent views. Much better use of the site considering there will most likely be nothing in the forseeable future built to block it's water views!!! :thumbsup:

I imagine that the people in the Trader Tower will lose all of their view though, not to mention that it will no longer be visible from the waterfront. Come on guys, 4 more floors, you can do it. :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be very disappointed if this is what we get. I'm still a fan of the old Hilton design. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what we get when a new rendering is made public. I was hoping we'd get something out of Fraim's State of the City address.

I was referring more towards the characteristics of the Marriott, not the overall design. The Marriott has some very classic features that are going for it, which is rare for Marriott actually. That hotel looks more like what Westin would do, which is why I said it will probably have that same kind of feel to it.

I was referring more towards the characteristics of the Marriott, not the overall design. The Marriott has some very classic features that are going for it, which is rare for Marriott actually. That hotel looks more like what Westin would do, which is why I said it will probably have that same kind of feel to it.

I would like for Norfolk to finally have a large building with a spire. The flat tops are getting a little old IMO.

Just think of the difference a year makes. Robert Johnson acting like a fool is the best thing that ever happened for this project. Now instead of settling for a 16-story, subpar, mediocre hotel we might actually get something with a little thought put behind it.

I would like for Norfolk to finally have a large building with a spire. The flat tops are getting a little old IMO.

If the news is correct, Granby Tower may still be that building.

region? are you referring to the few blocks that surround it? Yes, from the sounds of it, this building should be about 300ft tall, but definitely not the tallest in the region.

It is good to see it will be a Westin, that hopefully means that it will have a better approach to its design. Basically, it will probably look like a cousin tower to the Marriott. But it should look classy and fit into the area nicely. Norfolk really deserves something like a Westin. I have always wanted to see that city play with the big boys more.

Although, it would be fun to see Westin take a stab at something really modern in design and push the quality of architecture in Norfolk to this new century of design. Oh and something very environmentally friendly wouldnt hurt either.

Lets remember guys when it was 16 floors it referred only to the Hotel and condo portion, not the convention center which is below the building. Therefore at 24 to 26 floors this building could be 29 to 31 floors including the convention center.

I stayed at a Westin (though only once) in Fairfax. I couldn't believe how incredible cool, comfortable and classy the place was. The square mirrors matched the square sink and on and on. It was cool seeing all the aspects of design come together. It was quite contemporary. I almost felt like I was staying in NYC. I hope the Westin's in HR will be of such nature known as the Westin Experience.

I stayed at a Westin (though only once) in Fairfax. I couldn't believe how incredible cool, comfortable and classy the place was. The square mirrors matched the square sink and on and on. It was cool seeing all the aspects of design come together. It was quite contemporary. I almost felt like I was staying in NYC. I hope the Westin's in HR will be of such nature known as the Westin Experience.

I've stayed in a quite a few Westin's in my day on business. Yes, they are nicer and more contemporary than all the other hotels in the area. Definitely a notch up for HR. It's more a an elegant contemporary as compared to Starwood's W hotel which is more "energy" contemporary with regard to color schemes and decor.

I agree. Flat tops are getting a little old and I see a lot of buildings with them. It's great that they are adding floors, which would help it look more urban.

I am not much of a fan of modern day spires because I think they tend to be done poorly in most cases, but based on the location of this building, I think a spire would look quite nice on it. I think with this building housing a convention center in it, it would be a good idea for the building to have that "sense of place" within the city feeling. With the historic architecture along Ganby, I would not be surprised if the Westin pulls from those characteristics to make a tower that in not only contemporary, but a throw back to old Norfolk classy that Norfolk managed to almost completely destroy in urban renewal.

Either way you cut it, this building will be much better than anything Hilton could ever deliver.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Westin to be finalized next week :)

Officials also expect to announce next week the finalization of a deal for a 300-room, 25-story Westin Hotel. It will be attached to a $50 million convention center and a parking deck.

The Westin project, at a cost of nearly $200 million, will be one of the most heavily subsidized projects downtown. The city will build the convention center, which will be paid for with meals and hotels taxes. It will also provide LTD Management, the hotel

Does this mean we'll get the new rendering of the Westin ?

Ask and you shall receive. :shades:

NorfolkWestin.jpg

Man, this thing dwarfs Trader. This is well over 300ft. :camera:

It even looks slightly taller than the BOA building. If I had to guess i'd put it around 320ft.

Is this some kind of joke.I must be dreaming, WOW!

I know, I almost spit out my coffee when I saw it. If Granby is built, this will be our 3rd tallest building downtown. If not, the second (though Wachovia will give it a run for it's money, I just don't see it being taller than this).

I know, I almost spit out my coffee when I saw it. If Granby is built, this will be our 3rd tallest building downtown. If not, the second (though Wachovia will give it a run for it's money, I just don't see it being taller than this).

LOL. I actually just did the same thing when I saw this pic. This is great looking and will be a fantastic addition to the downtown skyline.

Archived