Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short blurb in the VP Business section today, the Westin is still in the design phase according to the LTD managing partner.

Still? That's not good, because the last article said they were finished. What was this in relation too? Do you have a link?

Still? That's not good, because the last article said they were finished. What was this in relation too? Do you have a link?

It was in Sunday's business section, i looked for a link for PilotOnline but didn't see anything. I really didnt want to mention what it was in relation to...but...

Their project in NoVa (Chantilly) is on hold due to financing renegotiation...so on a related note VP brought up Westin in Norfolk, which the managing partner said was still in the design process. That was the extent of the information contained.

It was in Sunday's business section, i looked for a link for PilotOnline but didn't see anything. I really didnt want to mention what it was in relation to...but...

Their project in NoVa (Chantilly) is on hold due to financing renegotiation...so on a related note VP brought up Westin in Norfolk, which the managing partner said was still in the design process. That was the extent of the information contained.

Experience tells us you can't believe everything you read in the Pilot. In fact, I could write a book on misleading and inaccurate articles.

• 2 weeks later...

Course its for real. They have the site cleared and everyting with a rendering of the building. Its just south of the Dominion Enterprises building. Construction was supposed to begin about now but the have pushed it back to this fall. There are 26 other pages in this topic man! The rendereings are a couple pages back!

Is this project for real. Anyone have info on this! If its real, when will it be built and what will be the design and number of floors? L.G.N.M

Yeah, it is a few pages back in this thread, but if I were you, I would just wait until someone diggs a hole and start driving piles. At this point, its a won't believe it until I see it project although some want to believe it will be built shortly. The fact is, we have been on the string for years now regarding this project, YEARS............So those pages will give you a good idea were they are today, but do not read it for the whole picture or you will have my mindset about it as it is pretty lenghty.

Yeah, it is a few pages back in this thread, but if I were you, I would just wait until someone diggs a hole and start driving piles. At this point, its a won't believe it until I see it project although some want to believe it will be built shortly. The fact is, we have been on the string for years now regarding this project, YEARS............So those pages will give you a good idea were they are today, but do not read it for the whole picture or you will have my mindset about it as it is pretty lenghty.

Thanks, hope this happens. Will help with density downtown. Norfolk has some great proposed projects! Granby Tower would have been a great addition but, with the Wachovia Center and the Westin that should suffice for now! Great projects. Wish the Granby Towers went up though. May be close to done by now!!

Ya granby town might be topping of by now, but economy has better plans.

I choose to be more optimistic and belive the project will go no matter what.

Its downtown norfolks conference center that they need so badly.

Economy had nothing to do with GT, don't fool yourself please.

People, please PATIENCE. Every three weeks we get some bs message about is this moving forward. Yes, it is. It's on schedule. Never heard a whisper of being delayed or canceled. It's on schedule, to begin in the FALL Relax and have patience, we all get excited everytime there's a new thread posted and it's just the same crap asking what's the deal or where's an update, unless there's actual news give it a rest, please!

*steps off his soapbox* :scared:

Economy had nothing to do with GT, don't fool yourself please.

People, please PATIENCE. Every three weeks we get some bs message about is this moving forward. Yes, it is. It's on schedule. Never heard a whisper of being delayed or canceled. It's on schedule, to begin in the FALL Relax and have patience, we all get excited everytime there's a new thread posted and it's just the same crap asking what's the deal or where's an update, unless there's actual news give it a rest, please!

*steps off his soapbox* :scared:

Dont' want to continue the off topic convo, but I will say this: its definitely over with GT, didn't the developer move on to another multi-million dollar project in ocean view? Hell, if he couldn't handle one, I am sure he can not handle two.

Dont' want to continue the off topic convo, but I will say this: its definitely over with GT, didn't the developer move on to another multi-million dollar project in ocean view? Hell, if he couldn't handle one, I am sure he can not handle two.

Seriously? I know of no other business model where someone can rest there entire finances one one project. He runs a business that is involved in making money. If one fails, he falls back on the several others that he has going. It's called business. Ever heard the phrase, don't put your eggs in one basket. Just because he focuses on another project does not mean that it's over, (although I believe that you can put a fork in GT for the forseable future). Just means he has a business to run and money to make. Nothing wrong with that.

Seriously? I know of no other business model where someone can rest there entire finances one one project. He runs a business that is involved in making money. If one fails, he falls back on the several others that he has going. It's called business. Ever heard the phrase, don't put your eggs in one basket. Just because he focuses on another project does not mean that it's over, (although I believe that you can put a fork in GT for the forseable future). Just means he has a business to run and money to make. Nothing wrong with that.

ummm, what he said ^ .

That's what I was trying to say in regards to GT.

Though lets hope the westin increases its floors. You think Westin hotels would be pushing it to increase in height to become Norfolks tallest. Then they could say they own the tallest buildings in 2 of Virginia's biggest cities.

Developers establish the height of their building based on a market analysis and financial analysis. They can get into trouble if they let their egos overrule their analyses simply for bragging rights. Bragging rights do not fill hotel rooms. Even if their egos get out of control, they usually get a reality check from their lenders, who don't care at all about bragging rights unless bragging rights somehow contribute to the bottom line.

There is one developer who is an exception. He has an ego as big as the Grand Canyon. He also has his own TV show. But even he had to settle for second-tallest-in-the-city for his new hotel and condo project in Chicago.

There is one developer who is an exception. He has an ego as big as the Grand Canyon. He also has his own TV show. But even he had to settle for second-tallest-in-the-city for his new hotel and condo project in Chicago.
Despite what a *** he is... that tower is pretty amazing, I caught the 'build it bigger' special on discovery about the construction of it. I really love the way it looks in downtown chicago as well (I'm originally from NW Indiana). Get to see it again in May!

I saw some trucks at the site 2 weeks ago or so, but other than that no activity.

WRT to GT, others on here said that they had never built anything bigger than a few floors. Not to say that would make one incapable of playing GC on a large project.

The Marriott is the current downtown conference center. We'll see. It's kind of like there was a conference center bubble. Go back and watch "Roger and Me" and you can see that Flynt was building a conf center to save the town.

A bunch of Trump branded projects are in the same boat at GT. Not being built, and those who put down money trying to get it back.

I've come to a conclusion that 315 feet will be just fine. While it won't be the tallest in the city and only the fourth tallest in Hampton Roads, it will be the tallest on the main street part of the skyline. The only reason I wanted taller was because I'm a skyline guy and in my opinion the Westin lot is the best lot we have to build a signature tower. If they were to add say three hotel floors and three condo floors, which i think don't think is too unfeasible, the building would probably be around 400 feet which would probably give Norfolk a skyline that could compete with the Richmond's of the world. I know a skyline isn't all to a downtown, i'm just saying...

But guys I noticed the parking garage is in the back of the building and is not under the tower portion. What is the point of that? Two towers could possibly go on that lot and would probably make the building around 415 feet?

I've come to a conclusion that 315 feet will be just fine. While it won't be the tallest in the city and only the fourth tallest in Hampton Roads, it will be the tallest on the main street part of the skyline. The only reason I wanted taller was because I'm a skyline guy and in my opinion the Westin lot is the best lot we have to build a signature tower. If they were to add say three hotel floors and three condo floors, which i think don't think is too unfeasible, the building would probably be around 400 feet which would probably give Norfolk a skyline that could compete with the Richmond's of the world. I know a skyline isn't all to a downtown, i'm just saying...

But guys I noticed the parking garage is in the back of the building and is not under the tower portion. What is the point of that? Two towers could possibly go on that lot and would probably make the building around 415 feet?

You wouldn't want a conference center 12 stories in the air on top of dead/parking space a-la-Trader (err... Dominion Ents). Elevators are good for ferrying office workers to their desks in high floors, but they're not good for filling and clearing large convention crowds. You'd want to have most of the conference/convention space on the ground floor or other lower floors accessible by wide staircases and lots and lots of escalators.

yes that makes perfect sense. i am fine with the visible parking garage.

it blends with the tower very nicely and will take up a lot of space THUS INCREASING DENSITY!!!!!

i cannot wait! :yahoo: fingers crossed it doesn't fall through..

cannot wait till pile driving begins.. fall should be quite exciting with the Westin beginning, Wachovia Center finishing up, TCC student center, fort norfolk plaza , arts festival, and LRT construction all being constructed in Downtown.

&& if it's 31 floors (approx. 400 feet) it will give us the best skyline in the state! (JUST KIDDING RICHMOND && ROSSLYN!!)

Archived