Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

Yeah, I understand, but I only reflected upon that because of the current state of the economy. You have people cutting back on things that are consider recession proof or not affected by the recession. That is part of the reason why the economy is in a rutt now, speculation. With that being said, its a possibly unless the money has been trasferred and people have been contracted. Right now, we have a plan that cost a couple 100 grand, a lot and enough dough to build a parking deck.

I don't think the way out of the recession is possible. The peak mania wasn't based on reality, it was based on people spending a lot more money than they make. That can't really come back for any length of time.

I haven't seen any activity on this site at all? They did use the lot to sell parking spaces during harborfest as I recall.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the way out of the recession is possible. The peak mania wasn't based on reality, it was based on people spending a lot more money than they make. That can't really come back for any length of time.

I haven't seen any activity on this site at all? They did use the lot to sell parking spaces during harborfest as I recall.

yeah, they did use it as a parking lot. I'm going to be pissed if this does not take flight this fall. I happen to like the two buildings they destroyed for it.

This is the actual view from the waterside/Marriot parking deck:

25785568.jpg

It should sit there nicely. Hopefully it will cause some of those restaurants and stores to open back up along that strip (I do not know the name of that street). It could be pretty vibrant and now they have an excuse to open more places in that area.

yeah, they did use it as a parking lot. I'm going to be pissed if this does not take flight this fall. I happen to like the two buildings they destroyed for it.

This is the actual view from the waterside/Marriot parking deck:

25785568.jpg

It should sit there nicely. Hopefully it will cause some of those restaurants and stores to open back up along that strip (I do not know the name of that street). It could be pretty vibrant and now they have an excuse to open more places in that area.

Plume Street.

Anyone want to rent the Blue Plate space? It's open as is the Yorgo's space. And the hair salon went out of biz but I'd avoid that space.

They are redoing the inside of the Heritage bank building. Guess it sold.

A very curious thing has occured. I checked the loopnet listing that was updated July 20th and they have changed the status of this building to "Under Construction". This is a very recent change and it makes me wonder what exactly is going on. I don't recall seeing any equipment recently but it seems as though something may be afoot. :whistling:

link

It also appears that the Westin will be LEED certified. :)

http://www.greenshape.com/?p=34

GreenShape is providing a full range of sustainability support for the design and construction of the 450,000 sf Westin Hotel and Conference Center in Norfolk, VA. We are supporting the architect, Jonathan Nehmer & Associates, and the owners as they pursue certification under the USGBC LEED green building rating system. GreenShape has supported the development of sustainability goals for the project and is working with the design team to ensure that these strategies are incorporated into the design. This project is one of a number of Westin properties that is in the process of achieving LEED certification.

This statement was provided as part of the March DNCL update:

westin-2.jpg

^^^The cryptic "better use of space" line better mean taller. I don't think I can take another watered down crap development after they presented us with that wonderful rendering. Since the online renderings haven't changed I'm hoping this means that whatever changes have been made will be minor.

Well I don't see how shorter could equal better use of space.

The entire site will be used regardless,so that can only mean it's grown in height.

I just wish they would start driving piles tomorrow!

Trust me, if there's a way to make "better use of space"= stubby and unattractive, Norfolk will find it. :lol:

Trust me, if there's a way to make "better use of space"= stubby and unattractive, Norfolk will find it. :lol:
I'm pretty happy with how Norfolk has come along in the past year... I'd be a little more concerned for town center's ideals on "better use of space" at this point...

This project has always seemed like a sure bet because of the conference center and parking garage being paid for by the city. The condos are already sold. I'd expect this one to begn rising within the next month, month and a half. The mayor said fall in his state of the city, and we haven't heard any bad news. For all we know 'better use of space' could just mean some floor flip flops, elevator shifts, or any other minor detail.

I'm pretty happy with how Norfolk has come along in the past year... I'd be a little more concerned for town center's ideals on "better use of space" at this point...

Oh I am trust me. That wasn't a knock on Norfolk as much as it is a comment on how our projects tend to start out with these amazing renderings, only to be watered down once it comes to the final product. That phenomenon is seen across HR.

• 2 weeks later...

But they have been 'working on design' since March. How do you know they won't finish the designs and start pile driving this Fall?

There is no way this thing could start this fall if the design are currently being changed...the soonest you could see this start would be this coming spring. Though at the rate this has been going, I think I still stand by the idea that it will be a year from now when construction finally starts.

There is no way this thing could start this fall if the design are currently being changed...the soonest you could see this start would be this coming spring. Though at the rate this has been going, I think I still stand by the idea that it will be a year from now when construction finally starts.

It depends on what they are redesigning. They could be changing the exterior skin, or the HVAC system, or the layout of some of the rooms. None of these would require a major redesign of the structural system. Pile driving and construction of the foundations could start well before the architectural design is finalized. If they are changing the number of floors or the building footprint, then that would hold up the start of construction.

It depends on what they are redesigning. They could be changing the exterior skin, or the HVAC system, or the layout of some of the rooms. None of these would require a major redesign of the structural system. Pile driving and construction of the foundations could start well before the architectural design is finalized. If they are changing the number of floors or the building footprint, then that would hold up the start of construction.

technically yes this is true...it all depends on what is being changed...but I am still gonna stick with it will be starting this time next year until you guys show me photos of it starting sooner.

Guess I'm riding with PE, well I am hoping he is right on his notion. Like I said, I thought it would have been more buzz about it starting back up as we reached fall. At least that is what I wanted to hear. But typical as most things here, not on time or the biggiest fears, a down grade of some sort. Guess we have to keep our fingers crossed.

Archived