Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

I just don't see why there would be any need for a huge design change,as in change of floors. The City is already commited to financing the conference floors. The Downtown hotel market has been pretty strong lately a with the new conferences already being lined up for 2011,I don't see Westin Hotels getting cold feet, and the condos are pre- sold. I'd be very shocked if they shortened the building or held up the construction. Don't panic guys!

Fall starts Monday! This is the season the Westin will begin (It better! Let's be optimistic.) The Wells Fargo tower crane comes down soon, hopefully by the end of the year we will see the Westin tower crane(s) rise.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't see why there would be any need for a huge design change,as in change of floors. The City is already commited to financing the conference floors. The Downtown hotel market has been pretty strong lately a with the new conferences already being lined up for 2011,I don't see Westin Hotels getting cold feet, and the condos are pre- sold. I'd be very shocked if they shortened the building or held up the construction. Don't panic guys!

Fall starts Monday! This is the season the Westin will begin (It better! Let's be optimistic.) The Wells Fargo tower crane comes down soon, hopefully by the end of the year we will see the Westin tower crane(s) rise.

Give it time young padawan, Norfolk/developers loves to take something great and beat it down for the sake of having something...

Give it time young padawan, Norfolk/developers loves to take something great and beat it down for the sake of having something...

Maybe your right.. I've never really followed a project from the initial proposal to the end of construction, so I'm just speculating, but regardless it seems like a solid deal. But who really knows.

I just like to be optimistic.

I really hope Norfolk doesn't lose this project(Westin) because its a status symbol for the city and the metro area! Having 2 Westin Hotels in the metro area is BIG!!! Also, I've stayed at Westin Hotels outside the area previous to VA Beach getting theres! They are very nice hotels to say the least. It will be an upgrade for downtown Norfolk visitors and provide another Westin in our metro for those who prefer Westin over our other available hotels at this present time!!! Losing this project via the bad economy can be understood as well as some other finance issues etc.! Lets just hope for the total outlook of our areas financial center(Norfolk) growing that we get this hotel built at 20 stories or the proposed 26 stories(i think it's 26 stories) lets just get it done,PLEASE!!! L.G.N.M

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, we are all hoping we don't loose this project. Wouldn't it be something if "design change to provide better use of space" translated to "added 4 floors to provide more hotel rooms" or something like that? lol.

But it's now fall. We should at least hear an update soon.

Wouldn't be shocked if their was a new rendering either.

• 3 weeks later...

^^ Me too..

http://www.insidebiz.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?si...59CEFDF97BDDE7E

:angry::scared::dunno:

Please don't leave us with a big surface lot in our immediate CBD. Not to mention the historic Granby St. buildings that were demolished.

That quote is more speculation than fact. They present no evidence that this is actually the case, they simply say it could delay. Every update as recently as last month has indicated the building is in the design phase. Until and official update that states otherwise I still believe this project will be built.

That quote is more speculation than fact. They present no evidence that this is actually the case, they simply say it could delay. Every update as recently as last month has indicated the building is in the design phase. Until and official update that states otherwise I still believe this project will be built.

I know. I'm with you. If we don't hear anything by December 21, I'll start to worry.. Downtown really needs thiis project to get off the ground. The conference center will help lure more big name conventions and conferences, the condos add population, the streetlevel "upscale" restaurant that's supposed to come, the fact of having a full service Westin will help. It's just a big project that needs to happen.. Downtown Norfolk has progressed soo far in the past couple years, how bad would it be to have a surface parking lot on Main St.?

We truly need this Westin in Norfolk. This can be a signature hotel for Norfolks downtown and be the alternative to the VA Beach location for those who prefer the Westin brand. Me myself, I prefer Westin hotels when I'm out of town. As far as the addition to our skyline it will fill in a space that will make downtown more dense as well. Norfolk as the center of our financial focus for the metro area needs this to show visitors from larger cities its up and coming as well. Some additions to cities tell visitors what a city is about just by being located there and the direct opposite for whaats not locted there(pro teams are great examples, not the best but, a small example). The Westin VA Beach has added so much to Towncenter and VA Beach as a whole(tallest building in the state). Lets all hope this hotel comes hear! L.G.N.M

Skip the condos, need reasonably priced apartments. That will add people that leave the house. A bunch of empty condos owned for investment or as a status symbol for a weekend a year doesn't help downtown that much.

It's not like the empty lot is any worse than what was there before, a run down parking lot.

Skip the condos, need reasonably priced apartments. That will add people that leave the house. A bunch of empty condos owned for investment or as a status symbol for a weekend a year doesn't help downtown that much.

It's not like the empty lot is any worse than what was there before, a run down parking lot.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one. Besides, we have nothing like that in the area, that would be a good selling point.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one. Besides, we have nothing like that in the area, that would be a good selling point.

That is probably because the city already tore down all those older buildings that would of been used for more affordable incomes....which any time there is new construction, developers are going to go after the higher end markets in order to cover costs.

Two years ago, the Norfolk Westin and Conference Center was supposed to cost $150 million.

Construction was supposed to have begun on the project this spring, to be finished by 2011. Hotelier LTD Management Co. is the developer of the project, which includes a hotel, conference center and a parking garage with 650 spaces.

The project is billed as a public-private partnership between the city, which is expected to spend $70 million, and LTD Management.

But the project is on hold because of the economy, though the city remains committed to it.

“Design is now at 100 percent design development drawings, with construction specs completed as well,” said Rod Woolard, Norfolk’s director of development. “With the information in hand we will be able to seek detailed/updated costing information.

“As you can imagine, in today’s financing environment we continue to seek ways to improve upon the project, both in terms of design and cost efficiency,” Woolard said. “Both the city and development team remain fully committed to the realization of this important project, as soon as market conditions permit, and continue to work for that to happen as soon as possible.”

http://www.insidebiz.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=3A78B6C178E64B46BD59B2A76133A431

I have a feeling Granby will rebound once Light rail is complete, it is just that the construction is interfering with people going downtown:

Battered by a bad economy and construction activity, Granby Street is entering yet another phase.

Stroll down Granby, from Main Street to Brambleton Avenue, and you will encounter empty storefronts and empty buildings in every block.

Signs announcing space for rent line the storefronts, which are dark, empty and dusty.

Eateries and bars like Zeros, Jack Quinn’s, 219, Sevens and Harry’s Barbecue are gone, their names still hanging outside buildings or plastered in the windows as a reminder of when they thrived.

Others like Baxters, Granby Street Pizza, Domo Sushi and A.J. Gator’s are hanging on, but for how long?

I have a feeling Granby will rebound once Light rail is complete, it is just that the construction is interfering with people going downtown:

I'm not a fan of Inside Biz' reporting style, anyway. Most of it is subjective, and seems like they report on the most obvious things, and don't actually try and get down to the details. the 219 building is about to re-open as something new, anyhow.

Granby always looks fine to me, as far as people eating, walking, etc. I don't see the big deal.

But I agree. Once downtown construction is complete, the roads are reopened and repaved, light rail is running smoothly, and the economy rebounds with lending, construction activity, etc. Downtownn wll be in great shape for business.

This is a shame, I had a feeling this would happen, but I was hoping it wouldnt. I wouldnt be surprised to see this come back as mostly just a convention center with maybe a 10 story hotel on top of it...which would be a shame to see this turn into a stumpy little building, but even if that did happen, the plus side would be that it would still be adding to the urban density, which density is not about height, but how lots are used in an urban fashion.

http://www.insidebiz...D59B2A76133A431

"Design is now at 100 percent design development drawings, with construction specs completed as well,” said Rod Woolard, Norfolk’s director of development. “With the information in hand we will be able to seek detailed/updated costing information."

Ron Wollard's statement to Inside Business article doesn't make sense. Design Development drawings usually represent about 65% of the entire design process. Here are definitions of Design Development Phase and Construction Document Phase from Business Dictionary.com:

Design Development Phase

Transitional
of an architect/engineer (A/E)
in which the
moves from the schematic phase to the
phase. In this phase, the A/E
and other
to crystallize the design
and describe it in
of architectural, electrical,
, and
. In
, the A/E also prepares a
of the probable

Construction Document Phase

of
provided by
and/or
in which he or she
, and

With all the time that has past, I would expect the A/E to have 100% Construction Documents. Also, even at Design Development, we should not be seeking costing information, the architect should be providing it as part of his professional services.

Maybe Woolard just doesn't understand the A/E jargon of Design Development Phase vs. Construction Document Phase, but I would expect a director of development to know the difference. It's not a complicated concept. If he doesn't understand that, maybe he is not the man for the job.

Thinking over this project last night, I am now pretty certain that it will eventually be completed as its true size. The location is too good to not build something there. Why? It is in walking distance to the Half Moone Terminal. Right now due to the economy the cruise business is at an all time low, but even with a modest recovery there is a huge potential clientel base. tourist could flyinto town and stay at the Westin and walk through all be within walking distance of Granby, Townpoint park, MacArthur Mall/memorial, and of course Nauticus. THe convention center would defeinetely balance the slumps inbetween ship visits as well.

So right now, I think Westin just wants to wait. 26 storries is quite an investment, personally I would want to wait. Also consider that they are also building the Aloft, probably not the greatest idea to start two hotels in one area. So they decide to go with the smaller, less expensive hotel attatched to an already sucessful hotel and delay the mega hotel for a year. That doesnt sound bad to me.

It seems like a very solid investment.

I don't think you can compare Virginia Beach's hotel & conference market with Norfolk's.

We really, really, really need this projectt. It would catalyze new restaurants/ shops on Granby + Main, and the more urban density the better. IHate the economy right now! mad.gif

Right now due to the economy the cruise business is at an all time low

I just wanted to point out how misleading that article in the Pilot was. According to their own data, the number of passengers was almost 2.5 times higher than it was back in 2001. We have certainly gone down, but it is not at an all time low. The number of ships are lower but according to the Pilot's statistics, the number of passengers per ship is at an all time high.

Archived