Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say its dead because the Westin in VB doesn't seem to be doing that great...everytime I drive by between 6pm-10pm so many lights are off (much like Harbor Heights), these huge condo complexes seem to be all hype and no sales. Unless they've all been bought by spec buyers and are sitting empty. Either way its not looking good for securing a loan right now. I'm constantly being reminded of Granby tower when I look at the vacant land around the Westin.

I say its dead because the Westin in VB doesn't seem to be doing that great...everytime I drive by between 6pm-10pm so many lights are off (much like Harbor Heights), these huge condo complexes seem to be all hype and no sales. Unless they've all been bought by spec buyers and are sitting empty. Either way its not looking good for securing a loan right now. I'm constantly being reminded of Granby tower when I look at the vacant land around the Westin.

Ever think that those inhabiting the places are out at 6-10pm? There is a reason why people live in a urban setting, they can go out and eat or have fun and 6-10 is the prime time for that.

Apples and Oranges. This is a hotel, with a few condos that have all been bought by the developer and the developers relatives. These are not publicly sold condos. The Westin hotel, in Va. Beach is doing fine, as I'm sure the Westin hotel downtown will.

Apples and Oranges. This is a hotel, with a few condos that have all been bought by the developer and the developers relatives. These are not publicly sold condos. The Westin hotel, in Va. Beach is doing fine, as I'm sure the Westin hotel downtown will.

OT: Funny enough my parents were going to stay at the Westin hotel in Virginia Beach for a weekend, but the great blizzard prevented that..... I have actually just walked in the elevator and gone up as high as I could in the hotel elevator, it doesn't go that high (I think it was 15th floor?) and the hallways did not have any windows so not much to see unless you have a room.

OT: Funny enough my parents were going to stay at the Westin hotel in Virginia Beach for a weekend, but the great blizzard prevented that..... I have actually just walked in the elevator and gone up as high as I could in the hotel elevator, it doesn't go that high (I think it was 15th floor?) and the hallways did not have any windows so not much to see unless you have a room.

My mom the realtor got me to the 29th floor and acted like she had a client interesting in purchasing a condo.. The view was amazing.

I think it will do well in Norfolk due to the difference in were it is in Norfolk compared to Va Beach! Also, there is a need in Norfolk for more convention and hotel space as well. I dont have an idea about exact numbers but, I have stayed at The Va Beach Westin and its a very nice hotel and probably in the top 3-5 hotels locally! Great food and excellent service! Actually the best hotel Ive stayed at locally. If this hotel comes to Norfolk with the proposed 26 floors or as low as 20 floors, heck 17 floors it will be an assest to OUR METRO, not just Norfolk. Certain business men and in my biz especially like certain hotels and the Westin is a hotel that can attract the types of biz men/woman I deal with!

It is possible those involved with financing will evaluate what the Westin in Va Beach is doing financially before moving forward with The Norfolk Westin. My guess is the Va Beach Westin is doing well, especially in the spring and summer(When I stayed there by the way for my Birthday in a Deluxe Rom)!! Lets be as positive as we can and hope this project goes through in the next year!rolleyes.gif L.G.N.M

Ever think that those inhabiting the places are out at 6-10pm? There is a reason why people live in a urban setting, they can go out and eat or have fun and 6-10 is the prime time for that.

actually according to their website, there are exactly 32 vacant units. The Westin apartments are not doing that well as many are expecting. As much as I would like to believe that everything is fine. It all makes me really nervous about the Westin in Norfolk.

http://www.residencesattowncenter.com/

On top of it all, many of the units which are paid for are not even being utilized...but are actually spec units being held on to in order to hopefully make a profit at some point in the future.

According to Harbor Heights' website, there is at least 38 vacant units... a vacancy rate of nearly 40%

meh, we have entire condo buildings that are still vacant or close to completely vacant...so join the club, not really much to worry about other than you can expect there to be a delay on any new condo buildings for the next few years.

meh, we have entire condo buildings that are still vacant or close to completely vacant...so join the club, not really much to worry about other than you can expect there to be a delay on any new condo buildings for the next few years.

I guess there's two ways of looking at it. I look at those numbers as terrible, and the developer is probably in real trouble on his loan, after all, most developers don't make any money til about the last 10 units are sold.

But its better to be more hopeful about the condo market. I really hope the Westin gets built, in spite of all my doubts.

The units were already sold for the developers family so u shouldn't have to worry about this affecting the progress of the build

Not to mention this is a 300 room Hotel project as I posted earlier. The condos were an afterthought and weren't even part of the original design. This is not now, nor was it ever, intended to be a hotel/condo split like the Westin in Va. Beach.

I guess there's two ways of looking at it. I look at those numbers as terrible, and the developer is probably in real trouble on his loan, after all, most developers don't make any money til about the last 10 units are sold.

But its better to be more hopeful about the condo market. I really hope the Westin gets built, in spite of all my doubts.

Your concerns seem to revolve around the condo thing. What I was trying to impart to you in my earlier post is that your concerns are completely outside the scope of this particular project. The 2 are really entirely different animals. It's like comparing a zebra to a giraffe. Sure they both run wild in Africa, but beyond that the similarities vanish. From an article posted earlier in the thread:

"The conference center will be on floors 3 to 6, a pool and workout facility will be on the seventh floor, and guest rooms will be on floors 8 to 19. Floors 20 to 25 will hold 12 condominiums, all of which have been sold."

^^^If your concern is that we can't support another hotel right now, then argue that point. There may even be something to that theory. But this is not a condo project.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mean to bump the thread.... but there's a lot of stuff on the Westin site. I know that there is the facade work going on next door, but the materials and equipment weren't even near the Arcade.. they were closer towards Granby. Maybe I'm reaching...

It's almost spring time and the start of the 2nd quarter, and Census day, and we still haven't heard or seen anything of interest with this project. The thread was started back in '07 and I think this project was announced in '06, initially as a Hilton. Our downtown needs this project. Our two best streets, Granby and Main. Let's get something started this year. I'll become depressed if nothing happens by Fall.

I don't mean to bump the thread.... but there's a lot of stuff on the Westin site. I know that there is the facade work going on next door, but the materials and equipment weren't even near the Arcade.. they were closer towards Granby. Maybe I'm reaching...

It's almost spring time and the start of the 2nd quarter, and Census day, and we still haven't heard or seen anything of interest with this project. The thread was started back in '07 and I think this project was announced in '06, initially as a Hilton. Our downtown needs this project. Our two best streets, Granby and Main. Let's get something started this year. I'll become depressed if nothing happens by Fall.

Still probably work on seldom Arcade, financing news needs to happen first.

Not getting this project will hurt dwntown in terms of convention space and hotel rooms as well. The quality of The Westin brand is special and those the hotel would attract would increase Norfolks image. We hve no elite hotels in Norfolk and either the Hilton Downtown or the Westin is a step in the right direction. The Westin isnt a Four Seasons by far but, it is a great hotel with a great reputation and great rooms and attacts a business man/woman Norfolk needs. The Westin in Va Beach is awesome. I love it and Im sure it has regulars from out of town who stay in Va Beach at The Westin when they do business in other cities locally because The Westin provides comfort and some elegance they need being they travel so much. For one the food is great. The hotel staff meaning the cleaning staff and front desk are near perfect. The Westin in Va Beach is the best hotel in Va Beach besides the Hilton on the Oceanfront hands down.

Bring a Westin to Norfolk and it will change the culture downtown and put pressure on existing hotels to step up there game as well. Fro a mental perspective Norfolk needs this Westin also. Va Beach seems to be attempting to establish an urban core with town center and already has the Oceanfront. Norfolk needs to stay a step ahead of Va Beach in convention space and attracting businesses looking to relocte!!!rolleyes.gifL.G.N.M

Also, tha 26 story Hotel or if its just 20 stories changes the skyline as well and adds needed density. L.G.N.Mshades.gif

• 2 months later...

This thing is on LIFE SUPPORT. Hope this project still goes through. Looks bad with the economy ruining many projects locally and nationwide!!! That said, Norfolk can use this project fellow members and it is essential to the growth of the financial district from a perception point of view as well as and more importantly from a growth to the ability to do more conventions bringing in more tax dollars and revenue into Norfolk. This can potentially bring new businesses here as well. Perception is more truth than reality! We will see. Please let this not go away like Granby Towers, that would have been big for this area as well. L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gifshades.gifshades.gif

This thing is on LIFE SUPPORT. Hope this project still goes through. Looks bad with the economy ruining many projects locally and nationwide!!! That said, Norfolk can use this project fellow members and it is essential to the growth of the financial district from a perception point of view as well as and more importantly from a growth to the ability to do more conventions bringing in more tax dollars and revenue into Norfolk. This can potentially bring new businesses here as well. Perception is more truth than reality! We will see. Please let this not go away like Granby Towers, that would have been big for this area as well. L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gifshades.gifshades.gif

I've already started loading shotgun shells.

Time to shoot it down...

Archived