Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the city can assure it will be built but, like brikkman Im almost ready to see this one go down like Granby Towers. Also, no updates and no activity on the site. This delay has almost if not already passed the danger zone for moving forward. The Westin in downtown Norfolk is a signature project. It will help in showing out of town business persons how Norfolk is becoming a major player nationally in regards to conventions. Norfolks downtown has yet to attain a hotel of the caliber of The Westin and especially like the one Norfolk may(planned) be getting is first class.

I stay at The Westin when out of town(one of the hotels I pick) and have stayed at the Va Beach one. Locally aside from the Hilton on the oceanfront its the best hotel locally period and the 1st in the business district that executives of companies and especially in my field that they would want to stay at. Its not the Ritz Carlton but, The Westin is a great hotel chain and a sign that Norfolk is serious on the convention business front. This project can bring major money to Norfolk long term.shades.gifshades.gifshades.gifshades.gifL.G.N.M

• 2 months later...

This project seems up in the air or in limbo! This is a signature project Norfolk can't afford to lose. As of now Va Beach has The Hilton and The Westin which both are the best hotels in our metro as of 7/30/2010! Norfolk needs The Westin to keep up with Va Beaches ability to attract better hotels. This isn't saying one city is better than the other, this is a issue of conventions and great places for out of town business persons to stay when here. If I were from out of town and came here, my choice would be The Hilton on the Oceanfront or The Westin in Towncenter, not because of the city, because of the hotels and what they offer. The Marriott is getting a bit older and is to me besides the Residence Inn the best Hotel in Downtown. Also, anyone who hasnt stayed at the two hotels in Va Beach The Westin Towncenter/The Hilton on the oceanfront should check them out, great hotels!

I truly hope Norfolk can still do this project and know if they don't it was a victim of the recent economy! Bad timing if thats the case and I BLAME NOBODY if it falls through. City had no parts in the economy failing nation/worldwide as it has. Oh well, hope for the best!shades.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree Caveman, I agree! This would be something to see! Would add some character as well to the skyline as well as density! L.G.N.M

I think the problem is that it was conceived about five years ahead of its time (and the market crash didn't help). But with LRT coming, the demand in convention center space downtown should boom! Plus downtown will become more of a destination for hotel guest as well. The market just isn't there yet as of today...

I've said this before, but with Norfolk considering tearing down Waterside, I think they're missing a serious opportunity by not trying to convert that into a convention center, esp. since they want to own that property so badly.

Norfolk4Life made a great comment. Goes to show, even cities that plan can move to quick. Also, misimons made a great comment about the market not being there now due to the economy that is! Had this building been proposed to be built at the smae time as Trader or Wachovia we would be looking at it now. Just Norfolk's un-luck. Also, the comment about Waterside by a fellow member, is so true! Norfolk has many issues and the BIGGEST is leadership and understanding how to govern to become a large city. The experience shows they only can do but so much. If they would just get the correct people in positions of power Norfolk would be in a better place! L.G.N.M

I think people here doubt the resilience of some projects with the failure of the Granby street tower. No one is trying to take the Westin lot, so we do not have to worry about the land disappearing. In 2005 the Beekman Tower was rumored to fail before it was unveiled when the anchor Pace University pulled out of the project. Yet after five years the project is finally being completed and NYC has built a tower comparable to the venerated Chrysler Building in an economic downturn. Patience people, no news right now is good news in that it is not dead.

you know, if you email the city manager's office, you will generally get a response to any question within a few days. Thats how I first found out that it was getting a name change to the westin. If the person in her office doesn't know the answer, they will forward it to someone who will. I really don't like our current manager, but give credit where its due, her office can communicate with residents

Norfolk did not tear down any historic buildings for the Westin project.  They tore down some old buildings.  Being old does not automatically make them historic.

The IKON Building was built in 1869 and was the oldest building on Granby St. ... If that isn't historic, then why havn't we buldozed the rest of the 'old' buildings on Granby St yet? That building was built during reconstruction after the Civil War.

07MCBuildings00125TVDC%20-%20Ikon%20copy.jpg

They saved the facade of the 1915 Beecroft and Bull Building but couldn't spare anything for the IKON Building:

07MCBuildings00141TVDC%20-%20Beecroft%20copy.jpg

Both Images are from the NPL and the info on the buildings is as reported in a Virginian-Pilot article that starts out with, "A wrecking ball started claiming chunks of a downtown historic building late Tuesday afternoon despite a last-ditch effort by preservationists to save it."

I think Norfolk made a mistake or bad decision is a better word knocking down the old building for The Westin which, looks like it won't happen. Progress is good but, I like it when i couldnt reach people if there werent home to answer the phone. You ever notice how when you call someone or they call you on a cellphone, we assume as do they we were ignored when they called or we call them. The people who feel BIG deal about this building being knocked down have there own views, Im not against them so please no comments to me directly. Say your peace but, dont aim comments at me. I respect your views. I'm not old school, well I guess I am in all aspects of LIFE. The Westin I agree is needed but, another spot would have sufficed and a newer older building would have been better. Norfolk has leveled its history.

What makes Philly and New York City as well as Baltimore and cities like D.C is the fact they all have old buildings they protect. Old buildings are old but, have character. New buildings are just glass and granite symbols. Old buildings were mostly made for need and design went into how they looked hence character. I seen old Norfolk pictures and its true plumbing was an issue as was other issues a big contributor to the destroying of those buildings but, to preserve that history was and is priceless. The stories of Norfolk cant replace the pictures we dont have nor the buildings themselves. Imagine Williamsburg and Jamestown with no buildings left to see? WOW! L.G.N.M

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I'm not trying to revive the thread or act like this project still has a chance.. I really have no idea if it does or not.. but this is still interesting nontheless

The report said the bond proceeds would finance the city's capital improvements, the city's proposed conference center and conference center parking garage.

The conference center and garage is part of the proposed Westin Hotel complex between Main and Plume streets

http://insidebiz.com/news/norfolk-recovery-funds-go-transportation

• 1 month later...

Good overview of what has happened with a little nugget of hope at the end:

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/11/8-years-161-million-spent-and-still-just-norfolk-drawing

City officials say the project will be built.

Located a short walk from the waterfront, the Sheraton and Marriott hotels and the cruise ship terminal, "it's an ideal location for a hotel and conference center," Woolard said. "This project will happen."

The city continues to place tax revenue, from hotels and meals taxes, into a fund to pay for the convention center. So far, nearly $14 million has been socked away.

For now, the city plans to retain its relationship with LTD and wait for the economy to improve. City Council has not discussed the project in more than a year. Fraim said he has not spoken to LTD executives in months.

"I need to hear from LTD before we make any decision," Fraim said. "I need to find out if they want off the hook. If they do, then it's something the council needs to discuss.

"I've heard from at least two other people interested in developing the hotel. But until things return to normal in the financial world, I don't know that it's feasible for anyone."

That sounds like what I am hearing everywhere else, cities are just waiting for improvements to happen before pushing for these projects. I can see this building happening, beyond the economy there is nothing standing in the way of it like there was with the Granby Tower, and the city does need to expand their downtown convention space. So I would say it is a safe bet that someday a building of some sort will be built here and it will more than likely effect the skyline and urban context of the city is some form or fashion.

Good overview of what has happened with a little nugget of hope at the end:

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/11/8-years-161-million-spent-and-still-just-norfolk-drawing

Norfolk, famous for its sketches.

It is easy to say "it will be built", the classic too legit to quit, but they said that with GT, just remember that. Because the need for that level of hotel is generally understood, I do agree it will be built, however, a lot of people think the sheraton is GReat, just remember that...

I don't understand why another hotel is needed downtown. There are more than enough for a non-touristy city. I think Norfolk should built a notable landmark in this area (Seattle Space Needle) and an accompanying museum of some sort.

i dont think we have enough free capital to do that. 

Archived