Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• 4 months later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

The Westin is still a go. The reason for the delay has been financing but the city and developer are still committed to the project.

Norfolk Westin Hotel and Conference Center

The Norfolk Westin Hotel and Conference Center, announced in 2004, is still an empty lot surrounded by buildings.

Located at Main and Granby streets, the hotel and conference center is supposed to have more than 300 guest rooms and a 50,000-square-foot conference center.

Since 2004, the city has spent close to $10 million acquiring three properties for the hotel and conference center.

Back then, the hotel was supposed to be a Hilton and the developer was Robert Johnson, the founder of Black Entertainment Television.

Johnson proposed a 250-room Hilton Hotel and the city would finance the 50,000-square-foot conference center and a parking garage with 800 spaces.

Johnson pulled out, citing the economy.

Hotel developer and owner LTD Management jumped into it, promising to deliver in 2010.

But it never did, based on reports that the financing for the hotel never materialized.

"As far as the Westin Hotel and Conference Center is concerned, we continue to work on it with a close watch on the status of hospitality and financial markets," said Norfolk's director of development, Rod Woolard.

"As you may know, hospitality markets are beginning to show some recovery, although limited in nature. While occupancies have improved, rates continue to be slow in their recovery."

http://www.insidebiz.com/news/update-three-norfolk-projects

Yeah, it makes no sense building a new hotel on a slow down period. And it is true that occupancy has been climbing everywhere, but rates are still very low which means hotels are not making the same kind of money they were making a few years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if this begins construction by next summer though. That is my hotel prediction.

• 1 month later...

This article states athat the Westin project is dead, comparing it to Granby tower...... :dunno:http://hamptonroads.com/2011/09/norfolks-director-development-retire

I think you are reading too much into the article, during Rod Woolard's period in that position, those two office buildings did not happen do to the downturn of the economy, which is true for both buildings, but it doesn't say that both are dead in the water, it just says he won't see them happen during his time in that position.

My guess is that the city still needs the convention center space, but they want to do it with a hotel attached and are basically sitting on the land until a hotel developer comes along and wants to be apart of something like this. Basically keep an eye on the hotel occupancy and rates in downtown Norfolk to get a better idea of when something like this might happen.

I wish the city would do something temporary on the site. Not really sure what, but hey, make it a park. Why not? It's also too bad they had to destroy the decker building and another historic piece of architecture for what will now be a vacant lot for the forseeable future. I know that is how development is done, but it is really a shame.

I've suggested converting Waterside into a conference center for quite some time now. I stand by that suggestion, and also suggest making it similar to the one in Chesapeake. I think forcing Waterside as a nightspot is a bit redundant with Granby Street in place.

As for the restaurants, I'd suggest moving them to Granby, and eventually building a city block or office building with restaurant space, then putting the Joe's/Hooters/Outback in that space. Or better yet, a mixed use building with offices, restaurants, and affordable apartments. I know, I know, I'm preaching to the choir. :-P

I wish the city would do something temporary on the site. Not really sure what, but hey, make it a park. Why not? It's also too bad they had to destroy the decker building and another historic piece of architecture for what will now be a vacant lot for the forseeable future. I know that is how development is done, but it is really a shame.

I agree, if they can make the old Granby tower lot a park, I'm sure they can make that site a park. It just looks terrible and I'm not sure why the city rushes to destroy things without making it set in stone that it will be replaced. It’s just a bad look and I did not mind the building they tore down, I was actually kind of mad they had to be destroyed.

I've suggested converting Waterside into a conference center for quite some time now. I stand by that suggestion, and also suggest making it similar to the one in Chesapeake. I think forcing Waterside as a nightspot is a bit redundant with Granby Street in place. As for the restaurants, I'd suggest moving them to Granby, and eventually building a city block or office building with restaurant space, then putting the Joe's/Hooters/Outback in that space. Or better yet, a mixed use building with offices, restaurants, and affordable apartments. I know, I know, I'm preaching to the choir. :-P

That's crazy because Granby street has a series of issues that I think non-frequenters do not really realize. First, Granby street has a lot vacancies. Some places has been vacant for more than 5 to 7 years. Second, living above bars and clubs has seem to be an conflicting issue with residents downtown. Remember, they are the ones behind station 2 leaving, plume being up and arms, and now velvet. I do not club anymore, haven't really since I graduated from college, but there are some desirables on Granby that will never come into fruition. Clubs and bars are not a bad thing and aside from business, entertainment is a huge thing for urban cores. I could go with more apartments, but lets face it, DT cant' support it and there is the issue they have been having for the last 10 years.

The corner of Main and Granby will be a temporary park soon. A group named Re:vision Norfolk has a plan in place to put a green space with public art and recreation in the very near future. The back of the lot will be used as a staging area for the library extension.

• 4 months later...
The corner of Main and Granby will be a temporary park soon. A group named Re:vision Norfolk has a plan in place to put a green space with public art and recreation in the very near future. The back of the lot will be used as a staging area for the library extension.

They're trying to get it ready for this summer's OpSail. Here is a drawing:

http://www.wparch.com/the-plot/

I love the idea of the arts coming DT and I think it's great to see it in action.

I am sad to see we lost historic buildings off of Granby for a vacant lot. It's such a shame.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Well a nice piece of land to work on my photography....

I'm happy about that at least, but prefer obviously the hotel/convention center.

• 10 months later...

I'm honestly indifferent with the convention center part, but another downtown hotel is always great, so I'm definitely in favor of that. I agree that the new Waterside should help this get off the ground. However, I like the idea of conventions bringing a little more business and foot traffic to DT Norfolk. Plus the new hotel could help the density of the skyline!

• 1 month later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/02/talks-heat-downtown-norfolk-conference-center

I must say that my excitement is a bit tempered by this news. Knowing Bruce Thompson is involved gives me pause. I don't want some poorly designed, cookie-cutter, oceanfront style crap put downtown. I want the rendering that they came out with a few years back. Really hope I'm wrong about this one. 

As much as I like 31 Ocean, I hope they realize that the Miami Beach look is fine in VB. In Norfolk, it's gonna stick out like a sore thumb. But I did like the idea of the Westin...I'd just love to see something with some curves and angles for once.

I'm glad this project is back. Hopefully some zoning code can dictate what is built here with the design. I doubt there will be any balconies like 31 ocean. The westin was modern but looked to have sensitive treatments and colors to blend with Granby St. I hope this design does the same. He may even recycle the original for all we know.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad this project is back. Hopefully some zoning code can dictate what is built here with the design. I doubt there will be any balconies like 31 ocean. The westin was modern but looked to have sensitive treatments and colors to blend with Granby St. I hope this design does the same. He may even recycle the original for all we know.

Yeah that would be nice.

But I can see the next issue with be "The Plot". People will be in an uproar when this westin thing finally hits dirt. They put wayyyy more than I thought they would there, I'm sure people have taken personal interest to it as well. I do like it, but not in lieu of a hotel there. If anything, they should have look to make a deal with the city regarding the mcarthur square stop. That is so under develop I want to throw up everytime I see it. What a waist all the way around.

Archived