Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing The Plot go to what was supposed to be Granby Tower, at Brambleton and Granby. That "park" is an eyesore. 

Or move the Westin there...anything is better than that park.

Thank your local GSA for that one.  They delayed Granby Towers just long enough for everything to collapse.  That will be a permanent eye sore for the next 10 years or more until they decided to one day expand their offices.  Oh, and lets not forget they want to close off Granby St. at that point as well...

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this is huge. No way this falls through again.

& According to the article, this will have the same # of hotel rooms, the same sq. footage of conference space, and 200 more parking spaces. This must be 25 floors or greater!

Well, at the time that also included condos so it will prob be a bit shorter with just the hotel. I'm betting on 22-23 floors.

Well, at the time that also included condos so it will prob be a bit shorter with just the hotel. I'm betting on 22-23 floors.

Yeah, forgot about that. I'd honestly be happy with 15 floors. This along with all the new residential/ retail developments and Waterside redevelopment/ light rail expansion seems to be putting norfolk in a very good place. 

Yeah, forgot about that. I'd honestly be happy with 15 floors.

I wouldn't :lol:. We need a decent addition to the skyline, something with serious presence. Norfolk got cheated out of its last signature tower so I'm hoping that this one has decent height and makes a serious architectural statement. I really like the last design and hope to adhere to it.

I actually like the design...it's different enough that it is more than just another concrete block. I'd love to see a 30 story tower, but 26 isn't too shabby.

Good to see Norfolk is finally putting up a few projects. Hate to see the Plot go though.

Don't get too excited yet...

Still, the area is at risk for recession, as local economists announced this week that deep federal cuts known as sequestration may prompt Hampton Roads to lose some 12,000 jobs this year.

Thompson said once the deal is finalized, his firm has 180 days to evaluate the market, specifically the impact of sequestration on commercial activity in downtown Norfolk.

"We're hopeful that those issues will be resolved," he said, "but if they're not resolved or outstanding, it could cause us to postpone development."

This area just can't catch a break. Until this sequestration thing is solved, I wouldn't expect to see much movement. Even taking that into account, it'll be a year before construction starts. And I have no idea what "Department of Defense compliant" meeting space means, but it makes me think more of a fortress than a downtown amenity.

DoD compliant means having meeting spaces that are secure for classified discussions.  At many DoD/military conferences, military leaders, venders, contractors get together for break out meetings or sidebars to discuss classified technologies, processes, anything really.

DoD compliant means having meeting spaces that are secure for classified discussions.  At many DoD/military conferences, military leaders, venders, contractors get together for break out meetings or sidebars to discuss classified technologies, processes, anything really.

How does this typically affect the design of a hotel? Is it noticeable or are there simply interior design constraints that must be met to be compliant?

It wouldn't really be noticeable and would probably look just like any other conference room.  It would mean a secure communications infrastructure/architecture for that particular room, which would cost a little extra but is a definite amenity when you're trying to draw some of the big military conferences to Norfolk instead of Hampton or Va Beach, which is where most currently are.

After checking out the hotels mentioned as influences in this article, there seems to be some chance that we will get an iconic/signature structure out of this (especially looking at the Peabody in Orlando). I'm going to refrain from getting too excited though. This thing has been "Lucy and the football" close for several years.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/03/plans-unveiled-126m-norfolk-hotelconference-center

I'll move your post to this thread and rename it. This thread has had several names and even though it is a different developer it is still the same project. If we made a thread every time the project name changed we'd have about 4 of them. :lol:

And again, something to remember here.

If defense spending is cut as dramatically as some fear, it would "kill the deal," Thompson said after Friday's announcement. Fraim said he didn't expect the deep cuts to happen, but if they did, "all bets are off."

And again, something to remember here.

The people in charge knew the cuts are coming.......defense spending always goes up, then gets cut....ignore the politics....this project has been in the works for the last year..its a done deal.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/norfolk/norfolk-reaches-agreement-on-facility

Seems like its final now....

Too bad they have to go back and redesign, this just pushes the timeline back...the first rendering was fine, even the second..thought I think the second one was better.

Press on Norfolk, press on. The big thing is to make sure main and granby are full of life seeing as though they tore down historical buildings for this.  Hopefully they have plans to put up a false wall with original brick like the first intentions.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived