Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't wait for construction to begin. With this and the court complex, 401 Granby, and the library, there is a buzz going on. Downtow is filling in nice. I hope they build on the parking lot across the new court complex and do more on the east side of St. Paul's.

My heart aches thinking about Granby Tower and the horrible GSA.  I wouldn't mind a hotel with a spire.

Someone did a drive by on here posting that their take was the whole intention all along was not to build Granby Tower, but to flip the plot of land to the government for a bunch of money after building the idea of value around it.

Not sure if it's true or not, but yea.

It would have been a monument of foreclosure had it been built.

Someone did a drive by on here posting that their take was the whole intention all along was not to build Granby Tower, but to flip the plot of land to the government for a bunch of money after building the idea of value around it.

Not sure if it's true or not, but yea.

It would have been a monument of foreclosure had it been built.

Well I doubt it would have been a "monument of foreclosure" but it certainly would have been built at a bad time. While it was ridiculously high end, it is realky no different than the Westin at Town Center which essentially sold all units (albeit throug an auction and less than originally priced).

Gaddams was given the money for the land plus the substantial foundation investment he made in it. He really didnt net a positive gain, just recouped his investment made sour by the GSA.

Well I doubt it would have been a "monument of foreclosure" but it certainly would have been built at a bad time. While it was ridiculously high end, it is realky no different than the Westin at Town Center which essentially sold all units (albeit throug an auction and less than originally priced).

Gaddams was given the money for the land plus the substantial foundation investment he made in it. He really didnt net a positive gain, just recouped his investment made sour by the GSA.

When I visited the apartments above Baxters I noticed foreclosure notices on at least two doors in the hallways. One of my neighbors told me that he knew a doctor that has reserved a unit in Granby Tower just to flip it for cash, but didn't notice the clause that lets the developer bail first (common during the run up days, the developer had a lead time where any buyer in the building can't sell for 1-3 years to give the developer time to dump their units first.)

Yea, the Westin liquidated all their units.  How is Harbor Heights? Still empties in that one?

Did Gaddams build 411 Granby? It's an apartment building along Granby that was billed all luxury but I remember looking at it and it was pretty dumpy. The supposed hardwood floors were some sort of lamite junk and the units were small etc.

Luxury is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, and most of it is cheap lipstick used to try to justify higher rents and what not.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone expect construction to start by the end of the year? 

Dont' know, i'm not sure that I read that it was complete (the deal), just that they have reached an agreement of some sort.

So, no telling honestly..i'm going out on a limb and say no.

• 3 months later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/norfolk-downtown-hotel-likely-be-hilton

Looks like the hotel will be a Hilton...from the article.

Bruce Thompson, CEO of Gold Key/PHR Hotels and Resorts, told City Council today that he is in negotiations with the company. A new architect – Atlanta-based Cooper Carry – has also been selected, and the former design scheme has been scrapped for a more contemporary look, he said.

“We think it’s time Norfolk comes into the 21st century,” Thompson said.

That sounds promising. Was not a big fan of the design.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/norfolk-downtown-hotel-likely-be-hilton

Looks like the hotel will be a Hilton...from the article.

That sounds promising. Was not a big fan of the design.

So we've come full circle :lol: . Honestly, that's the only chain I expected because Thompson doesn't really deal with anyone else.

Archived