Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

Yeah it is funny how we've come full circle.  The new architects are the same guys who did the Oceanfront Hilton down at the beach.  Actually, they have a pretty decent resume for the hospitality industry.

http://norfolklive.blogspot.com/2013/08/hilton-targeted-for-downtown-hotel-and.html

That Peabody hotel is nice. I'll probably pass out if the exterior winds up looking anything close to that. :lol:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it's 10 fewer rooms though. Might be looking at 22 stories instead of 23 :( . This is gonna be the exact same height as the Marriott. We really need to break up the skyline a bit.

I will wait to see the rendering, if they throw in something like the skyline pool on the Oceanfront Hilton might tun out taller.  Then again height isnt everything, just want a quality development in Norfolk instead of the empty lot that is there

Edit:And hopefully it complements the Decker building Facade

decker2.png

Gotta say I hate to see the Plot go. I know it was never a permanent fix, but it was really cool. Hopefully they move it to the corner of Granby and Brambleton, across from the courthouse. Either there or in the Arts district, perhaps the old Zedd building, which I hear is being torn down.

Lets see how far we have come in October.... (sorry for the multipost, took awhile to find this)

I sincerely hope they do better than that proposal.  I was on board with the Westin design.  The previous design was uninspiring. 

I lived in NY for 4 years and frequented the lounge at the Hudson Hotel often.  If it's anything like that, it'll be a welcome addition not just architecturally, but culturally as well.

Some additional details from the briefing that were not reported in the pilot.

Building is 23 stories and the exact height of the dominion building.

Plot/plaza will be preserved and elements of decker building incorporated.

Theresa Wibley was concerned about architecture being in keeping with downtowns character, Mr. Thompson was politefuly pushing for it to be more modern and different.

There will be a 10 story section of the building facing Dominion.

Building will connect through the arcade and to solver library.

There are ongoing discussions of the Plot to be moved to the old Zedd's space in the Arts District.

Awesome! That will give the district a LOT of character.

I'm really crossing my fingers that the next downtown Norfolk tower exceeds 30 stories...

Hold up!  Are you saying that project may be built on the Zedd's property?

I am hoping that the city has something big lined up for the existing proposed site. I would love to see this project anchor development in the Arts District while reserving the other site for a major office tower.

Anyone know anything more about plans for the Royster Tower that was in the news recently? I am surprised that no one posted anything about it considering that it is being renovated or torn down. This building has a great location on the downtown waterfront and any changes to it will be truly noticable.

No. The PLOT may be built on Zedd's property. It's that park that is currently on the Hilton site now.

Since it will be dead for some time, I would rather see it in front of the court building, however, I know its more appropiate down in the new arts district. I think it will be vandalized quickly with spray paint. Sad, but I think its a real possibly unless more economic acitivity comes to the area first.

I think that relocating the PLOT on the corner of Granby & Olney is a great idea. Not sure if it's worth worrying about potential vandalism, but a little graffiti might add to it IMO.

I am eagerly anticipating the new rendering of the Hilton hotel. I think it would be cool for it to have a modern art deco design!

Fingers crossed! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I think that relocating the PLOT on the corner of Granby & Olney is a great idea. Not sure if it's worth worrying about potential vandalism, but a little graffiti might add to it IMO.

I am eagerly anticipating the new rendering of the Hilton hotel. I think it would be cool for it to have a modern art deco design!

Fingers crossed! :)

I'm hoping for some kind of skybar...

• 2 weeks later...

Some additional details from the briefing that were not reported in the pilot.

Building is 23 stories and the exact height of the dominion building.

Plot/plaza will be preserved and elements of decker building incorporated.

Theresa Wibley was concerned about architecture being in keeping with downtowns character, Mr. Thompson was politefuly pushing for it to be more modern and different.

There will be a 10 story section of the building facing Dominion.

Building will connect through the arcade and to solver library.

Cautiously optimistic, but it appears I need to make a correction to this report. If accurate the developer was referring to dominion tower (aka bank of hampton roads) and not the dominion enterprises building.

http://www.wvec.com/news/New-hotel-and-conference-center-220395031.html

Archived