Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

http://www.coopercarry.com/

Here is a link to the firm that is designing the new Hilton. I'm curious though, What is meant by it's going to be like Grand Central Terminal? I do know that GCT was built so a tower could be added on top of it. (one never was though.) Do they mean in size & scope, or in the style arcitecture?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is the link to the project? I couldn't find it....

And unrelated, but wouldn't Granby Street look great like this (same website):

http://www.coopercarry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/euclid_east_4th_980x600.jpg

They tried that years ago. The closure of Granby Street into a pedestrian mall was a failure! Now one of the side streets might work...

Dallas had something like that called the "West End"...they converted one of the warehouses into a Waterside-like attraction with shops and an arcade in the basement level. Last time I went down there, that had all closed.

I agree that it would be cool on one of the side streets, i.e. Brooke or Tazewell, but Granby gets too much vehicular traffic nowadays.

From what I'm hearing on the design is that it's apparently going to offend certain people in a good way...whatever that means

Hopefully that means it's modern, and we can break out of this historic/colonial crap. We need to come into the 21st century with our architecture and stop trying to replicate the past.

RenaissanceDallasExterior.jpg

This is in Dallas. I would love to see the architects come up with something similar to that...

Also wouldn't mind seeing a hotel with either a revolving restaurant on the top floor or a few neon lights at the top...

This is in Dallas. I would love to see the architects come up with something similar to that...

Also wouldn't mind seeing a hotel with either a revolving restaurant on the top floor or a few neon lights at the top...

Blech!  No, I definitely would want a different design.

I don't think any building in Norfolk that is not historical is colonial, just boring (ie-functional and nominally decent looking). The new Wachovia is a glass rectangle, (the lights are cool, thought) the main st. Building is a glass square, (thought the dark glass is neat). the DE is an Art Deco glass and white square with Piedmonts, the Dominion Tower is a tall brown square with Piedmonts.

I'm not completely knocking them, just simplifying the idea to agree with the point that Norfolk has builds design with more function (way) over form. Norfolk doesn't have a stand out with wicked lines or sexy curves (though the Rotunda is round and the NS tower has some beat angles that plays off of the reflective sea blue-green glass. Then again, we don't have the investment/monetary draw that other bigger city do that demand higher building and more competitive/expensive, knockout architecture. I hope that changes for Norfolk/VB.

HAHA..... that looks like a cheese grater!

Not sure how this matters...

I like density as much as the next person, but I'd also like our skyline to be a bit more dramatic and representative of a metro our size. Height and density are not mutually exclusive and I don't see anything wrong with hoping for a few taller buildings downtown to break up our relatively flat skyline.

I like density as much as the next person, but I'd also like our skyline to be a bit more dramatic and representative of a metro our size. Height and density are not mutually exclusive and I don't see anything wrong with hoping for a few taller buildings downtown to break up our relatively flat skyline.

Actually I was giving you a little hope that it was a typo, I didn't mean to advance the next line.

It should have read: "Not sure if this matters but the main article it links to said nothing about the height, only rooms and space.."

Archived