Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

Honestly...I like it. A lot. It has enough unique aspects to where it stands out from other ordinary designs.

Don't know how I feel tbh. On the one hand, I'm glad to see this project is guaranteed to move forward. We've been working on this for far too long. On the other hand, the building looks fat and bland. I was really hoping we'd break out of that typical Norfolk style. The rendering before this was modern, sleek, and perfect. Don't know why they changed. Hopefully a few more polished renderings will change my mind on this.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah here are the ones the city's twitter account released.  They're in the video too.  http://norfolkliveblog.com/?p=474

I like that they're bring a "Catch on Granby."  It's a highly successful restaurant with local roots.  The city didn't release it but there's one shot where the conference center wraps around the current buildings on Granby that's pretty cool.  Overall, I really like the design and how they were able to incorporate everything, including the historic Decker Building facade.

Don't know how I feel tbh. On the one hand, I'm glad to see this project is guaranteed to move forward. We've been working on this for far too long. On the other hand, the building looks fat and bland. I was really hoping we'd break out of that typical Norfolk style. The rendering before this was modern, sleek, and perfect. Don't know why they changed. Hopefully a few more polished renderings will change my mind on this.

I think the previous rendering looked more New York City and this one looks more average port city. Quality materials will make this a handsome building.

I think the addition of that all glass wall really makes it stand out a little more, along with what looks like a sloping roof. Still not a perfect design, but I wasn't expecting but so much for a hotel. 

Now, the next office tower Norfolk builds, on the other hand.....

Did Mayor Fraim mention anything about SPQ in his State of the City address?

I'm so happy that this is still going to happen. Is it still planned to be taller than the BoA building since its still 23 floors?

Not likely. Looks to be closer to the height of the Dominion Enterprises building from the rendering. Probably the same height as the Marriott.

It's alright. I liked the first rendering better. My wife's words were (who is not necessarily into this) "well, it's very Norfolk. It looks like Wells Fargo." I agree.

It has that same multiple-buildings-in-one look.

That's a perfect description and perhaps the reason I'm so disappointed with it. It is very much the same old thing we've always had. I can very faintly see the Design Review Committee's ugly hand in all of this. It seems as though it was deliberately watered down to be more in keeping with downtown's "character". One only has to look at the recent controversy over the Luce sign to see this as a plausible scenario.

The backside should compliment the new library just fine.

I'm with most others on the board, I liked the first rendering better. GT was the only rendering that never changed, so I'm not so surprised that it did. I wonder would it have killed them to add two more floors. It would have been nice to say "We built the tallest building in Norfolk"....

This one kind of looks like they took pieces of several buildings and combined them into one. The standard design for Norfolk seems to be to take colors and materials of surrounding buildings and try to duplicate it, I'm not sure if this is by choice of the developer or by direction of planning.

I hope its classy. I've never stayed a night in the Marriott but did manage to have my prom there is 98. I'm hoping it is much more impressive than that.  Surprisingly the hotel on monticello near young's park ( I think) has a great lobby. You would not expect it to look that way considering the outside.  I'm coming home in April to kick some renters out and prepare it for my new renter, so I'll be take some photos as I will be in town for almost a week.

With all the visitors this convention center is hoping to attract, at least the design incorporates some translucent glass features that will ideally aid in making DT feel more populated during events. It would be a shame to have yet another property in the area bring in thousands of motorists that will only walk from parking garage --> event space --> parking garage.

Apart from Monticello, the three sides surrounding MacArthur Center act like a lifeless moat surrounding all the people that gather inside...

With all the visitors this convention center is hoping to attract, at least the design incorporates some translucent glass features that will ideally aid in making DT feel more populated during events. It would be a shame to have yet another property in the area bring in thousands of motorists that will only walk from parking garage --> event space --> parking garage.

Apart from Monticello, the three sides surrounding MacArthur Center act like a lifeless moat surrounding all the people that gather inside...

Yup, the good the bad the ugly...Its good, but bad for presence.

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, the good the bad the ugly...Its good, but bad for presence.

I wish MacArthur Center's bunker walls could be turned to glass instead, similar to Time Warner Center in NYC or Eaton Centre in Toronto.  Where the "life" going on inside isn't hidden away, but visible from the street.  

samsung-001_full.jpg

yonge_dundas_2.jpg

If they ever bring a third anchor to the mall, that would be a great opportunity to give it a bit of a facelift and add a nice glass exterior. 

The new library seems to have a nice glassy look. I would love to see some storefronts go for that look though...

• 2 weeks later...

If they ever bring a third anchor to the mall, that would be a great opportunity to give it a bit of a facelift and add a nice glass exterior. 

The new library seems to have a nice glassy look. I would love to see some storefronts go for that look though...

I really think MacArthur Mall should build a mixed use tower on the third anchor spot and leave room for an anchor department store if they don't have one signed up by the time of construction.  I would really hate to see that lot get wasted on building just a department store and nothing else.  Plus that new tower that was built north of the mall could use some company.

I really think MacArthur Mall should build a mixed use tower on the third anchor spot and leave room for an anchor department store if they don't have one signed up by the time of construction.  I would really hate to see that lot get wasted on building just a department store and nothing else.  Plus that new tower that was built north of the mall could use some company.

I really like that idea. Not sure there's the room there for a huge tower, but a cool mixed use 8-10 story office tower with (hopefully) a department store on the first two levels would be pretty nice. Not going to affect the skyline much, but it could hopefully attract business downtown.

yeah, i'm hoping for the same thing. Department stores and the idea of mall/department stores are dying off, so its a good chance if something gets built, it will not solely be a department store. Considering the direction of dt, i'm glad Macy's pulled out when they did. I think that lot will prove vital to that stretch of DT in the future if done right. Its a lot that can be done with the space. honestly, if they never develop it, I wouldn't be mad at that fact either, however, I would like the city to invest more in what happens on that plot of land. I would host many open, free, family friendly events there, not just the skating ring in the winter. Take the opportunity to utilize these flat lots to enhance your family friendly presence.

Archived