Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

I really like that idea. Not sure there's the room there for a huge tower, but a cool mixed use 8-10 story office tower with (hopefully) a department store on the first two levels would be pretty nice. Not going to affect the skyline much, but it could hopefully attract business downtown.

I have seen towers built on smaller lots than that one, I don't see why they couldn't do something 15-30 stories on that site on top of a department store.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at this map, I think the corner lot would be perfect for an office tower or hotel...one that could replace the Doubletree at Military Circle as a mall hotel (the Airport Hilton is now Doubletree I believe). The corner is in blue, that's Dominion Enterprises in red.

But, I'd rather see an office building, one that could house a Fortune 500 company.

052e0722-9878-4a80-b8d3-67ce54c2ace3_zps

Looking at this map, I think the corner lot would be perfect for an office tower or hotel...one that could replace the Doubletree at Military Circle as a mall hotel (the Airport Hilton is now Doubletree I believe). The corner is in blue, that's Dominion Enterprises in red.

But, I'd rather see an office building, one that could house a Fortune 500 company.

052e0722-9878-4a80-b8d3-67ce54c2ace3_zps

I don't see another hotel being built downtown for quite a while. Not so close to the building of this new Hilton. IMO, the next big hotel in Norfolk will be built where the Sheraton is now.

That said, I did not realize there was THAT much space in that spot, so I stand corrected. We could certainly fit a 20-30 story structure there. That said, if they don't simply build out the third anchor store, I think they'll eventually just build a 6-8 story mid-rise condo/apartment building or two and call it a day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://insidebiz.com/news/developer-bruce-thompson-says-there-could-be-horses-and-bourbon-cavalier-plus-jewel-hotel-downt

Groundbreaking on May 22.

"He said the hotel's atrium will feature a 120-foot-tall, 100-foot-wide façade made of point-supported glass, the most expensive type of glass façade. He described it as a jewel box."

Wow, that's close. It'll be good to add another building to the skyline, even if it is a bit stubby. The plus side is with this being the last large parcel on Main Street, we'll have no choice but to expand downtown elsewhere.

"Another hotel in downtown Norfolk would be a disaster," Thompson said before listing major cities across the country to illustrate a point. "In those other markets you won't find anything that comes even remotely close. It's far, far more than a hotel. The architecture is crazy."

Umm...Let's not get too ahead of ourselves there Bruce, lol. I think the architecture could definitely be a bit more inspired than what's been presented.

"Another hotel in downtown Norfolk would be a disaster," Thompson said before listing major cities across the country to illustrate a point. "In those other markets you won't find anything that comes even remotely close. It's far, far more than a hotel. The architecture is crazy."

Umm...Let's not get too ahead of ourselves there Bruce, lol. I think the architecture could definitely be a bit more inspired than what's been presented.

I think the architecture is pretty good...

I like that the slanted roof will be what you see in future shots of the Norfolk skyline. Looks really unique from that angle.

I dunno what it is, but I do like the design. It's nothing spectacular, but it's not completely boring either.

The plus side is with this being the last large parcel on Main Street, we'll have no choice but to expand downtown elsewhere.

I hope the south-west corner of St. Paul's and City Hall Ave. where the flat parking lot is at gets developed as well.

I hope the south-west corner of St. Paul's and City Hall Ave. where the flat parking lot is at gets developed as well.

Me too. That's such an obvious place for a signature tower. They could really turn it into a grand entrance for downtown.

Maybe he meant architecture within the building? I could think of a few cool things. Like most said, the outside is so so, but he could come up with some crafty stuff in the inside of the building that is not decor related.

"underappreciated outside of the region"

I have to agree with that statement. Although I can find a lot of negative in the city and region, living in Bmore County has made me look at home differently. I have no desire to move back, but not because I hate my home of Norfolk, its just they will never pay me what i'm making now at my age. I can swear on that as fact. But I've learned to appreciate so so so so much more. The way Norfolk is setup, when you describe to people, they do not think of it as a "city", but it is very much the mantra of a city. I still stand behind my comments about Norfolk/Region should be waaaayy further than we are during these last 10/15 years which come from some bad moves on the cities part.

I like the fact I can get to 7 different cities that have 7 different feels in the matter of minutes. I do not always have to take the interstate to get to places. Traffic sucks, but it sucks at expected places, and providing people could get more involved, Norfolk could be a world class jewel.  What we lack is a culture. And for the culture we do have, it needs to be promoted. I was born in huntersville, about 6 or 7 blocks from Doumars.  I didn't know they produced the first sugar cone there until like 6/7 years ago. My wife was born less than 3 blocks from there. I asked her did she know, she said nope. I told her from the time we found out, I would never eat at coldstones' or DQ ever again as long as I'm home. I'm just a supporter and I stick by that. To me, that's culture that should be shared with people my age and younger. We just do not know about that kind of stuff, it needs to be celebrated. This rant was off topic, but under appreciated is how I see Norfolk, I want it to be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

The way he talked about the building in the article, it would have seemed he would go for the tallest building in va or at least in Norfolk. Not saying the building can't be great because of the height, just saying it seems like it would have been appropriate.

I hear ya.  Yeah, they were definitely hyping this thing (the governor was even there).  And I must say, it's really going to be impressive.  The question one of my buddies and I had was how they were ever going to keep it occupied.  But I suppose it's good to have this in place now (even if it's empty) for when the city does start drawing in more tourists.

Anywho, one of the city folks gave me a CD that had all of the conceptual drawings on there.  Here you go.  http://norfolkliveblog.com/?p=1153

The design is growing on me. I think the slanted roof adds a little flair to the building. With all that Norfolk is trying to do to make the city vibrant, this hotel could be a great thing, as long as the council stays out of its own way.

I hear ya.  Yeah, they were definitely hyping this thing (the governor was even there).  And I must say, it's really going to be impressive.  The question one of my buddies and I had was how they were ever going to keep it occupied.  But I suppose it's good to have this in place now (even if it's empty) for when the city does start drawing in more tourists.

Anywho, one of the city folks gave me a CD that had all of the conceptual drawings on there.  Here you go.  http://norfolkliveblog.com/?p=1153

whoa, construction next week?

I wasn't expecting that..

Archived