Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Ghentite's blog is correct, that it will be as tall as Dominion Towers, then it will be the tallest in Norfolk.  However, if that is conjecture based on floor count then it wall probably be shorter since hotels have smaller floor heights than offices.

From the renderings in the blog, this building looks stunning!  I am blown away by the design and this is a situation where design far away exceeds the necessity of height.  I'm loving it and hope the renderings come to fruition.

If Ghentite's blog is correct, that it will be as tall as Dominion Towers, then it will be the tallest in Norfolk.  However, if that is conjecture based on floor count then it wall probably be shorter since hotels have smaller floor heights than offices.

From the renderings in the blog, this building looks stunning!  I am blown away by the design and this is a situation where design far away exceeds the necessity of height.  I'm loving it and hope the renderings come to fruition.

I think that that is actual height because this is 23 floors whereas Dominion Tower is 26

I think there is some confusion on this point. The old Dominion Tower is actually called Bank of Hampton Roads now. I think the building they are referencing is the Dominion Enterprises building, which is directly across the street from the Hilton. The renderings make it look close to that building in height.

I think there is some confusion on this point. The old Dominion Tower is actually called Bank of Hampton Roads now. I think the building they are referencing is the Dominion Enterprises building, which is directly across the street from the Hilton. The renderings make it look close to that building in height.

You ar correct, it's the Dominion Enterprises building.  Thanks for pointing that out.

I drove past the lot today. They've realigned the road a bit at the Granby/Main St. intersection. Looking at the space, I can tell that tower is going to have a booming presence on that corner.

Can't wait to see this thing go up.

One more lot after that and that section will be filled up.

I wonder when talks will be made about the macy's lot.

I personally would like to see it stay just because it gives a space for activities. I think it is important that the city leave space for activities in the core without having to use TPP for paid events. The city should try and do free events every week, bands, local groups, performers, etc... That would breathe air into DT, attract the regular goers, family friend freaks, and give the city a sense of community.

Too bad this couldn't have any condos on the top floors...

What happened to the rooftop bar/restaurant?

According to the link, Saluna will be the 5th floor rooftop lounge. I guess it will be high enough to see over the low rises in front of the Elizabeth River?

Also, it cannot be said enough how tasteful it is that they are incorporating the Decker Building facade back on Granby St and using furnishings from the Cavalier Hotel.

This is going to be a great building and serves the desires of many longing for modern amenities and the historic restoration of Granby. I am very impressed.

I can't wait to see the deck builder part. I'm expecting something grand...

I also can't wait to see how they will connect it to the arcade.

I still believe waterside live should have did some kind of pass through as well to an effort to connect to the buildings. Definitely will boost booking at the Sheraton.

Although it probably won't happen, a newsstand/convenience store on the first floor with both street and lobby access would be nice. Trying to find toiletries and a newspaper when you're in a downtown hotel can be a real pain sometimes.

http://www.norfolk.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/06092014-412

This project is going before Design Review on the 9th (weird considering they've already started construction). Not sure why as they didn't link any documents. On a side note, why is everything with this project so secretive? I can usually find all sorts of documents related to construction, height in feet, materials used, etc. It's really unnecessary to keep that much under wraps, it's just a hotel. I hope we can get more access to information in the future.

Archived