Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

The Marriott hotel parking garage should be built upon as it takes up so much space near the waterfront.

There is an abundance of free standing parking garages sitting on prime land downtown. The city should re-evaluate all the properties for prime development opportunities.

Perhaps it's time for someone with a real vision to make suggestions to city council members instead of those seeking profits. I bet local college students, architecture designers, or even people on this site could offer more for less than the tens of thousands that they have already paid for these plans that are borderline awful and never acted upon.

I'd take tens of thousands to make suggestions. It'd be a huge bargain for the city vs the MILLIONS in taxpayer money they spend on developer cronies to "study" a way to justify the desires of developers as being in the best interest of the city. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Marriott hotel parking garage should be built upon as it takes up so much space near the waterfront.

The Marriott hotel parking garage was not designed for vertical expansion.  The columns and foundations cannot support the weight of a building on top of the garage.

The Marriott hotel parking garage was not designed for vertical expansion.  The columns and foundations cannot support the weight of a building on top of the garage.

That's a bummer to hear!

There is a parking garage on Main St. near the courthouse that was built for vertical expansion. During the construction process, a newspaper article mentioned a possible tower being built above it. I believe the article mentioned how it could support 14-15 floors above the garage if a developer choose to do so.

Thanks Virginia Pe for the information. Do you think the city will approach Marriott with a proposal that allows them to tear down that garage and build a more vertical garage with a tower above it that could service both businesses? The Marriott could probably use the money to reinvest in that property.

That's a bummer to hear!

There is a parking garage on Main St. near the courthouse that was built for vertical expansion. During the construction process, a newspaper article mentioned a possible tower being built above it. I believe the article mentioned how it could support 14-15 floors above the garage if a developer choose to do so.

Thanks Virginia Pe for the information. Do you think the city will approach Marriott with a proposal that allows them to tear down that garage and build a more vertical garage with a tower above it that could service both businesses? The Marriott could probably use the money to reinvest in that property.

I think that garage is owned by the city.

Why in the world would the city build a parking garage like that?

Perhaps now, they have learned that land downtown is too valuable to waste on massive parking garages that sprawls outwards instead of upwards.

Looking at pictures of our skyline, I shake my head because the Marriott Hotel should have been built above a parking garage giving it another 6-8 floors and another tower could have been built the same way.

Imagine having a 32 story Marriott hotel/parking garage and perhaps a residential/mixed use tower both gracing our skyline.

Our city planners obviously did little planning with the future in mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do not understand what is going on with this. It seems like every southside council is completely inept at governing. How do you have a continually shrinking project with continually rising cost? $100 million for a mid-sized conference center?

I do not understand what is going on with this. It seems like every southside council is completely inept at governing. How do you have a continually shrinking project with continually rising cost? $100 million for a mid-sized conference center?

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the only ultimate purpose that The Main will serve will be to become a more modern, upscale replacement of the Sheraton. Tear the Sheraton (and Waterside) down and build something else on the site... possibly expanding Towne Point Park some as well. Still probably not worth the $100 million the city is ultimately dumping into this. We've gone from a grand convention center with grand ballroom to normal sized convention center.... but hey at least we still get the grand ballroom..... to nothing that ultimately stands out from the Marriott across the street... but at least there are some cool bars/restaurants involved. I wonder when we find out that we're relocating Outback Steakhouse from Waterside to The Main instead and adding another $20 million to the cost.

This isn't Sim City.  I think we can all agree that the Waterside Sheraton is an eyesoar from the outside but it's not going to be torn down anytime soon.  I don't have actual numbers but anytime I've been through there (spring, summer during wedding season) it's ALWAYS packed with people and it was recently remodeled on the inside as well.  It's actually a very nice hotel.  I don't see them handing the keys over to the city anytime soon.  And even if they did and the city raised it, do you actually think anything would get built there anytime shortly after.  Not with the way our city works.  It'd be a vacant piece of land that would sit for years while the city argued over the proper use of it.  That would make us even more frustrated.  The Sheraton is generating money for the city, let it be.  If anything, the city and any prospective developers need to take advantage of all of these visitors it brings to the waterfront.  But I disagree that tearing it down is in any way a solution.

This isn't Sim City.  I think we can all agree that the Waterside Sheraton is an eyesoar from the outside but it's not going to be torn down anytime soon.  I don't have actual numbers but anytime I've been through there (spring, summer during wedding season) it's ALWAYS packed with people and it was recently remodeled on the inside as well.  It's actually a very nice hotel.  I don't see them handing the keys over to the city anytime soon.  And even if they did and the city raised it, do you actually think anything would get built there anytime shortly after.  Not with the way our city works.  It'd be a vacant piece of land that would sit for years while the city argued over the proper use of it.  That would make us even more frustrated.  The Sheraton is generating money for the city, let it be.  If anything, the city and any prospective developers need to take advantage of all of these visitors it brings to the waterfront.  But I disagree that tearing it down is in any way a solution.

I've been to the Sheraton, and I didn't think it was bad either. I'm certainly not suggesting anything is going to happen quickly. But when the Hilton is built, it will take customers from the Sheraton. Not to mention the fact that last I had heard, the Sheraton was losing money hand over fist. IIRC, they nearly had to sell a couple years ago(or perhaps they did and they kept the brand). 

That said, while Norfolk tends be very slow in how they operate, they do tend to have some grand plans. See also this Hilton.... which is quickly becoming nothing more than a clone of the Marriott at EXTREME expense to the city. The Sheraton, while nicer than its reputation suggests is not a good fit for where it is located.

The Sheraton isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But I think the long term vision (10-20 years down the road) is to have something else in the spot current occupied by the Sheraton. 

I have stayed at the Sheraton many times and there is always a large number of people staying there.  Maybe a better solution to tearing it down is to renovate and update the outside.  Maybe the Main will attract people to other hotels as well. 

Certainly if there are big events at the Main, there will be "overflow" demand for other hotels to pick up.  Maybe the Main is too pricey for some conference attendees, or some late conference registrants miss the conference hotel rate deadline, etc.  The Sheraton is in walking distance and would be a fine alternative.  I've stayed there, and while it's not my favorite hotel in downtown Norfolk, it's a perfectly fine one.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
While downtown for Harborfest  last weekend, I took few photos, granted I'm no photographer

From Granby st

From in front of the world Trade Center (Granby St & E Main St)

Another from Granby sort of :P

Looking up at the crane 

Hope these show (I have no idea how to attach so I posted using the Gallery) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived