Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, isn't this article kicking a dead horse?

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/08/incentives-norfolk-smooth-path-developer-hotel-conference-center#_ga=1.156103742.401869472.1427290

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/08/year-after-groundbreaking-developer-secures-two-loans#_ga=1.192814127.401869472.1427290520

Would someone please explain to me what the purpose of the second article is?

I'm not sure if this is the norm in commercial projects, but what is there to report other than to attempt to further discredit the project?

I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed.

The sloped roof is the only thing that really makes it mildly interesting to me. Otherwise, it's just another stocky, square building design. 

Sometimes, I feel that some on this site can't ever be pleased.  No offense, but what more do you all want?  I think it looks really nice. Very contemporary.  I used to work at an architecture firm, so I understand liking edgy design and whatnot, but still...I don't know.  I guess I'm just pleased that something is happening and I think it's going to be a pretty building.

Sometimes, I feel that some on this site can't ever be pleased.  No offense, but what more do you all want?  I think it looks really nice. Very contemporary.  I used to work at an architecture firm, so I understand liking edgy design and whatnot, but still...I don't know.  I guess I'm just pleased that something is happening and I think it's going to be a pretty building.

All I said was it looks stocky and square, and to me it looks like too many other buildings in Norfolk (Wells Fargo, Dominion Enterprises). I'm sorry if my opinion seems to have struck a nerve, but it just doesn't stand out to me, compared to buildings I see in other cities, or even the Slover.

I think we should reserve judgement until we see it finished. I can't wait for the glass walls fronting the corner of Granby and Main, and the various blocks that form the whole building make it look a bit unique compared to some of the other buildings downtown. The biggest thing that strikes me as important is bringing the ground level to life. 

All I said was it looks stocky and square, and to me it looks like too many other buildings in Norfolk (Wells Fargo, Dominion Enterprises). I'm sorry if my opinion seems to have struck a nerve, but it just doesn't stand out to me, compared to buildings I see in other cities, or even the Slover.

It's all good, you made a great point about the stockiness our our building. What I like about this building is the glass and the brightness that it lends to our dark streets and skyline. Our skyline needs more lights and this building will fill a great need once completed.

I want the Westin design. That design was perfect. It was modern, classy, and something new for Norfolk architecturally speaking. It's not a matter of never being pleased. It is more a matter of being presented with these wonderful designs only to have it watered down into a "typical Norfolk building " yet again. It has happened more than once and is the source of many of our frustration. Head on over to the Harbor's Edge thread, trust me, we're happy. Lets just hope we can stay that way...

I just took a look at the rendering for the proposed Westin Hotel. I know it's all just a matter of opinion, and mine is no more correct than anybody's,  but I actually like the Hilton design much better. The reasons I like the Hilton design better are, like someone else mentioned it will provide a lot more light to the downtown skyline, and the clean lines of the design are more appealing to me than the somewhat contrived look of the Westin. I don't care for buildings that combine too many varying facades in an attempt to create a false sense of urban vibrancy. It just looks choppy and cluttered to me. I definitely like the Hilton better than the VB Westin as it seems to be more connected and inviting at the ground level.

I was referring to when this building was supposed to be a Westin, not the VB Westin. I don't like the design of the VB Westin at all other than the fact that it's tall. There is a rendering in this thread somewhere of what I'm talking about. I'll have to find it and repost.

I was referring to when this building was supposed to be a Westin, not the VB Westin. I don't like the design of the VB Westin at all other than the fact that it's tall. There is a rendering in this thread somewhere of what I'm talking about. I'll have to find it and repost.

I think that's what he's referring to in the beginning of his post. The proposed Westin. He just also brings up the VB Westin. 

I actually kind of agree with NFKJeff too. The biggest thing I like better about the Westin is that it's a bigger project (taller, more convention space, etc). But the Hilton seems more of a fit and it will bring more light to a downtown that needs it badly.

It isn't that I am not pleased that the Hilton is being build, I am not please with the overall design of the building itself. I know that taller does not mean better, but I think that the potential of that site with it's great views are being squandered with another squatty 20 floor "tower". The Hilton would be more impressive if it looked something like the proposed Harbor's Edge 2 building.

I agree, it should have been made taller and less bulky; however, I think it's a good looking building and will look great at night.

I am hoping that next year will bring news of other developments downtown including the Snyder Lot. There is so much potential if the city does this right!

I would love to see a couple Harbor Edge 2 type developments near the Hilton.

Hopefully, by Christmas, we will see this tower approaching floor 20 or so.

I also prefer the design of the Hilton over that of the Westin, though I preferred the Westin's height.  Both designs (Hilton and Westin) have the same building envelope problem, though.  The building will rise up on the entire block between Granby Street and Selden Arcade.  That's what, 250, 300 feet?  Eyeballing it on Google maps, it looks to be about as wide as the "wide side" of the Dominion Enterprises building or the blue glass building at the west end of Main St, maybe a tad wider.  However, the Hilton's "wide side" will face north/south instead of east/west.  So when the Hilton rises, and you view it from downtown Portsmouth, it will have the same presence on the skyline as the DE and "blue" buildings have when you look at them from the west (kinda squatty):

cityboi757-641963-albums-norfolk-pic3651

Yes, and the commenters there are blasting them that they need to be more concerned with Richmond than Norfolk.

I agree with some of the points it brings up. Like the subsidies for the restaurants paid for by taxes from other restaurants. 

Hmm, I think I agree with the commenters. They're a little out of their jurisdiction on this one. 

A few years ago, one of Norfolk’s City Council members wanted to change the city’s motto: “Life, Celebrated Daily.” Randy Wright thought “A City on Track” would be better. Given the rank bog of taxpayer subsidies city leaders have created and the rotten deals they’re giving residents, a more fitting one might be “The Cesspool by the Sea.

Seriously? If I weren't a mod I'd have quite a few things I would like to type right now about the Times Dispatch. I think I'm going to slowly step away from the keyboard.... 

Archived