Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

2 hours ago, vdogg said:

I was thinking 7 or 8. It's very hard to count floors on this thing. Looks like they raised the crane too. Usually buildings top out to within a couple of sections below the height of the crane.

Construction cranes are self-climbing.  The can raise themselves up enough to add another segment of the crane tower, so the crane grows as the building grows.  You cannot tell how tall the building will be based on the crane height, because you don't  know when they will add another segment.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the front view you can see the platform that houses the "rooftop restaurant" (should have been on the actual roof <_<). Anyway, I remember them specifically stating that was the 5th floor. Counting from there I get 13 floors ( including the one being worked) which means we have about 10 to go. 

"For a more casual experience, the roof garden and lounge on the fifth-floor will offer an exclusive bar and is designed to bring the inside out and the outside in. Large garage doors on both sides of the space open to terraced patios with trees and lighting to invoke a backyard garden vibe. This space includes an oversized fire pit that doubles as a stage for live performances and spectacular views of the Elizabeth River. Other amenities include a large lawn chess set and billiard room. and indoor/outdoor spaces for parties and events."

http://www.themainnorfolk.com/

8 hours ago, brikkman said:

In all my years living in Norfolk, i've never stayed in the Marriott until a few weeks ago while visiting. Had prom in there, but that's about it.  Very dated to say the least, but then again, i'm not a fan of hotels either. Maybe this was needed sorely to classy up DT.

Yup same boat of as you. Stayed in the Marriott for a wedding last year and I was highly disappointed. Hopefully the Hilton will get the owners of the Marriott and Sheraton to renovate their facilities.

14 hours ago, VAGATOR said:

Yup same boat of as you. Stayed in the Marriott for a wedding last year and I was highly disappointed. Hopefully the Hilton will get the owners of the Marriott and Sheraton to renovate their facilities.

Assuming both hotels maintain their flags, both Sheraton and Marriott are renovating most of their hotels in the US, with a focus on millennials. I know that Sheraton is doing a total rebrand to try and get over its "crappy" stigma that has followed it for at least a decade, so if the owners of the Sheraton are hoping to maintain their flag, good things should come to that hotel in the next few years. I cannot really speak to a timeline for Marriott, although I know the Uptown Charlotte was recently renovated and the blog I read it on said that the renovation was part of a string of Marriott hotel renovations throughout the country.

22 hours ago, VBIllini13 said:

Assuming both hotels maintain their flags, both Sheraton and Marriott are renovating most of their hotels in the US, with a focus on millennials. I know that Sheraton is doing a total rebrand to try and get over its "crappy" stigma that has followed it for at least a decade, so if the owners of the Sheraton are hoping to maintain their flag, good things should come to that hotel in the next few years. I cannot really speak to a timeline for Marriott, although I know the Uptown Charlotte was recently renovated and the blog I read it on said that the renovation was part of a string of Marriott hotel renovations throughout the country.

Good to hear. I know there were rumors with the Marriott and Starwood merger, that they would cancel the Sheraton brand, but this seems like a good alternative. Either way, other than the newer Residence Inn and Courtyard, hotels in downtown are severely lacking.

It looks like they've raised the crane significantly. You can now clearly see it approaching Norfolk from Va. Beach on 264. It's always been hidden before.  I was worried that this building wouldn't have an impact on the skyline from that direction but apparently it will.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2015 at 7:29 AM, vdogg said:

It looks like they've raised the crane significantly. You can now clearly see it approaching Norfolk from Va. Beach on 264. It's always been hidden before.  I was worried that this building wouldn't have an impact on the skyline from that direction but apparently it will.

Could someone explain how they raise cranes? It doesn't seem automated in anyway.

It's hard to get an accurate count, but I think I see 18 floors as the building currently sits. As long as the previous announcement of 23 stories is true, we have 5 more stories to go (and assuming I'm counting correctly). Right now, it seems it's approximately 200-220 feet. With five more stories, I think we're looking at a structure a little taller than the Dominion Enterprises building. Probably looking to top out right around the height of the Marriott IMO. Certainly not a bad addition, but it would be nice to go a little taller.

Archived