Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 757Duke said:

Now if only we could get a 30+ story building on the vacant lot across from the courthouse.

I hope this leads to a major building boom downtown in the next few years. Other Southern cities are doing pretty well now that the economy's improved, and I'd love to see the old GT lot* and the corner of St. Paul and City Hall developed with towers reaching 30+ stories. Same for SPQ and the land next to Harbor Park. The pic I posted shows just how much potential downtown has.

I knew there was something tying it up, but forgot the circumstances. That bums me out...that's a great spot. This is why I want the city to start expanding and building north of Brambleton and east of St. Paul's, as well as at Harbor Park.

The architectural firm for the project, Cooper Carry, have this thing listed at 22 stories. 

http://www.coopercarry.com/project/the-main/

If you count from the top of the atrium roof at present day (I was there last night and counted several times from Main St. looking North and starting with the floor on top of the atrium roof) and compare that count to what appears in the renderings on The Main's website, it looks like we are just about topped out...with perhaps one more floor to go...besides the roof cap.  

Funny thing, the drawings presenting the signage show another floor above what I'm counting on the website.   Additionally, the architectural firm website rendering shows another floor,  but lists a smaller floor count!

So I'm guessing closer to 260 to 270.  Even the revised roof cap seems to be only 25 ft at peak. 

Confusing!  I guess we will find out when we find out.

1 hour ago, baobabs727 said:

The architectural firm for the project, Cooper Carry, have this thing listed at 22 stories. 

http://www.coopercarry.com/project/the-main/

If you count from the top of the atrium roof at present day (I was there last night and counted several times from Main St. looking North and starting with the floor on top of the atrium roof) and compare that count to what appears in the renderings on The Main's website, it looks like we are just about topped out...with perhaps one more floor to go...besides the roof cap.  

Funny thing, the drawings presenting the signage show another floor above what I'm counting on the website.   Additionally, the architectural firm website rendering shows another floor,  but lists a smaller floor count!

So I'm guessing closer to 260 to 270.  Even the revised roof cap seems to be only 25 ft at peak. 

Confusing!  I guess we will find out when we find out.

Though it would have been nicer to see a 30 story building here, I think that the buildings design makes it stand out in the skyline. Norfolk is becoming more dense and I love it! Hopefully this and Harbors edge help encourage developers in Norfolk and all over VA to build taller. Absolutely love this building!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been here in years and lost track of all of this due to being consumed by school, but I was on the 4th floor of the ODU library today and looked out the window and was like Holy Cow!

They finally did it! :D

I remember we spent years moaning about this not getting done. 

I'll get pictures next time i'm up there to show you what it looks like from ODU.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, mikeas said:

This building has topped out, came up kind of short.

That's a bit disappointing. I thought this building was going to be at least a touch larger than the Dominion Enterprises building. It looks at least 10-15 feet shorter, though I imagine that there is at least a few more feet to add at the top.

I don't think there is a reason to get hung up over the height here. Architecturally it is respectful to Granby st on one side and modern on Main st. It also brings a lot of new modern amenities downtown. Height is not a concern IMO while we continue to fill in the gaps and heal the wound to the city from the 1960s.

• 3 weeks later...

These pictures are a few days old but i figure I would post them anyway. I'm really liking the roof it's different compared to all the surrounding buildings. 

link to pictures ( I'm having problems getting them to show up) 

Archived