Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

Hotel builder can pick new partner

The City Council gave unanimous approval on Tuesday for William Fuller to find another partner to help build a luxury downtown hotel, said two city officials who asked not to be identified.

Fuller, a former National Football League standout, had agreed to build the hotel as a minority partner with billionaire Robert L. Johnson. However, Johnson has asked to step aside as the primary developer, and the city has agreed, assuming Fuller can find another partner.

At least they're moving quickly with this. Hopefully there won't be too much delay.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Developer gets new partner for hotel

The city has a new developer to build a $47 million downtown hotel that will anchor a new convention center.

Former National Football League star William Fuller is expected to announce later today that LTD Management of Chesapeake, a hotel development firm, will team with Robinson Development of Norfolk to help his firm build the project.

Fuller's Norfolk company, Fulco Development, is slated to help build a 16-story Hilton Hotel, part of a $125 million development that would include a $49 million convention center to be built by the city.

Damn, they keep saying 16 stories, why is this? I wish we could get an exact number on this mediocre hotel. LTD is doing the Residence Inn, though I doubt the city would allow them to descend to that quality with this project. Judging by how quick this all happened, the city seems to have had their ducks in a row months before Johnson actually decided to pull out. It seems to me that they knew this was coming for quite some time. :unsure:

Yeah I say bring on Hyatt. Hilton isn't all that special considering that every city in the world has several iterations of the Hilton brand. At least in our area, this would be a true Hyatt if it comes into fruition.

Hyatt, like Marriott and Hilton, also has other brands. The atrium, glass-elevator Regency is still Hyatt's top line hotel, I believe. Isn't that true, TomBarnes? I consider you our hotel expert in the Virginia forums.

Actually, the smaller "boutique" brand Park Hyatt and the business oriented Grand Hyatt are their upper tiers. Both are unlikely in Norfolk. Hyatt Place isn't especially likely either, but could be possible. There is even a recent example in Allentown, PA where an existing building is being renovated as a Hyatt Place. Of the three, the last is the most probable, given that the number of rooms for a Hyatt Regency is usually 350-40 and up.

Man that was fast. I guess they weren't lying with all the talk about developers waiting in line to get a hotel project downtown.

When you have a strong convention market like Norfolk, there will always be interest.

Here's link to LTD

A lot of Marriott's, but also a Westin opening in Baltimore. You won't see another Marriott since it's right down the street. But even the hotels such as Springhill Suites look impressive in their portfolio. Some big hotels.

Damn, they keep saying 16 stories, why is this? I wish we could get an exact number on this mediocre hotel. LTD is doing the Residence Inn, though I doubt the city would allow them to descend to that quality with this project. Judging by how quick this all happened, the city seems to have had their ducks in a row months before Johnson actually decided to pull out. It seems to me that they knew this was coming for quite some time. :unsure:

I hope the 16 floors are on top of the convention center and the parking garage. This project started as 25 total, including 5 floors of condos. They slashed the condos to leave 20 according to the last rendering. This was all disapointing to me. I would of liked to have seen a 30 spring up to fill the gap in our skyline.

I'm thinking more and more that we will be grateful that this project is only 16 floors, top to bottom. I think it will stand only slightly taller than the Royster building, so it won't match the plateau of the Marriott, B of A, Trader and NS. It will be about the same height as Harbor Heights, but not as massive. I just wish that that Nusbaum project could be taller.

I'm thinking more and more that we will be grateful that this project is only 16 floors, top to bottom. I think it will stand only slightly taller than the Royster building, so it won't match the plateau of the Marriott, B of A, Trader and NS. It will be about the same height as Harbor Heights, but not as massive. I just wish that that Nusbaum project could be taller.

That would be awsome as a 30+. But one can only dream.

Anything taller that 20 stories for this building would be a dream. I have a feeling with Norfolk's need to get this convention center built and the need to get the ball rolling with a new developer, they will stick to what is a sure bet, the convention center and the hotel. The good news is that with new developers usually comes new architects, it is just how the business works. So chances are if there are developers that have been interested in taking over this project, then that means there has been architects designing a new preliminary design for it. So in the end Norfolk might actually get a good designed building....but again that all depends on the developer.

The 16 floors refers only to the hotel portion. The convention portion is 5 very large floors heightwise. This building will more than likely level off with the rest of the buildings in the "core" of downtown.

This project will probably follow the design that has already been put out there for all to see. I can't see a new developer coming on, after all the delays in money and time lost, putting out a new bid for design. That would push this project back another 6 months to a year and force it to go through the city's design review phase all over again.

This project will probably follow the design that has already been put out there for all to see. I can't see a new developer coming on, after all the delays in money and time lost, putting out a new bid for design. That would push this project back another 6 months to a year and force it to go through the city's design review phase all over again.

This project never technically went through design review, which is part of the problem. Johnson wished to keep the details so secret that the city decided to skip the typical planning process. Lesson learned. This is what we get when there isn't open and honest review of a project and its impacts.

It's a wonder this man can ever get anything done. From this weeks insidebiz:

Also last week, The Washington Post reported that the plans of RLJ Development and Marriott International to build a 1,400-room convention center hotel in Washington, D.C., may be in trouble. Costs for the hotel, which would be the District

Archived