Downtown Master Plan 2007

Cadeho

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of Metro Richmond's streets and roads are in terrible condition, and that includes the Interstates (64, 295 and other highways - ugh! and downtown streets -- double ugh!).

I remember red brick roadways; they were nice looking and as I recall not bumpy.

The physical conditions of the roads in this area are terrible!!!!! Have already repaired two newly purchased tires and replaced another. I haven't even been off-roading yet, LOL

It would be nice if there were trolley's between the Fan/VCU/Downtown/Bottom/Church Hill

There is a trolley, its called GRTC. Honestly I don't get the trolley. Public transportation already exist in Richmond. Why is it more glamorous to take a trolley than a bus and should public money really be used (or private money wasted) on duplicating services? Take the bus. It's urban and just as cool (even if not as trendy).

The trolley has historical significance to Richmond, so in that regard, it would be cool to see one come back.

I think Brent is referring to those cutsey motorized versions. Buses would be far more comfortable and practical on inner city loops until and if fixed rail is approved, IMO.

Tell us about Skybus, Henry -- either here or in the airport thread. I'm really anxious to hear.

• 2 weeks later...

The only disappointing thing to me was on the maps where they did not include development on Ethyl's great plain ot 2nd and Byrd. It's as if Ethyl threatened them into removing their whole property off the maps! However, in some other maps, at least I could still see my canal and locks along 5th St. Also speaking about Ethyls lands, one lady proposed making the foot of Gambles Hill a pasture for the mounted police horses and relocating the stables there. Interesting. Concerns voiced were not hiding the homeless but helping them, deconcentrating the poverty around downtown which would help downtown and the city's schools, an attraction for children and families to come downtown, and housing for seniors downtown.

Anyone else attend the session last night? While some of it was a repeat of the summer public meeting, I thought overall it was pretty interesting. Great public comment.

Yeah I attended coupe. I was impressed with the presentation and the public comments/questions. One gentleman spoke about how instead of pushing people out we need to figure out how to include them in this vision of the future and mentioned a flea market as a way to do this. It gave me an idea about how Broad or Grace could be used to create a street side bazaar, where vendors and artists could set up shop on weekends selling anything from photos and paintings, to jewelry, postcards, and food items. When I was in Berkeley, CA I was very impressed with the energy and bustle of Telegraph St. where an interesting array of vendors/artists displayed their wares on the sidewalks and I don't see why this couldn't be done here as foot traffic increases in these areas.

I was also very excited about the trail systems and how to improve river access for people on foot. The two new pedestrian bridges crossing the James would be a great idea, tying the Canal Walk, the potential new Pipeline Rapids walkway, and Brown's Island to the Southside where the existing Flood Wall Walk is and potential new Southside Canal Walk could be built. I think these riverside improvements should be highest on the priority list because they would be major draw for suburbanites and tourists. Once we see an increase in foot traffic around the River then infill and redevelopment along the Canal Walk, Shockoe Bottom/Slip, and in Manchester would be a natural progression. Interconnecting areas of interest through street scape improvements such as tree planting and utility burial is another important issue. The synergy of these improvements will make downtown more alive and appealing to outsiders and give it the nudge it needs to become a bigger tourist, entertainment, and family destination.

Oh and I think this has already been brought up but they mentioned floating museums along the Canal which i really liked. One gentleman spoke on how their group was interested in bringing a WWII Battleship to Richmond back in 2002 and how a bumbling administration although interested, didn't make the necessary improvements to bring it to fruition. I wonder how many other projects Richmond has lost because of our inept government? Looking ahead, I want to know what the citizens of Richmond need to do to get the City to start making these changes and improvements instead of just spinning wheels and infighting. We need to hold their feet to the fire this time and make sure the momentum isn't lost.

Welcome. There was one comment about preserving the natural aspect of the river. I can agree with that. While there is room for sprucing up the river to make it more of an attraction, the fact that it is a natural being itself. I really wish they would clear the log jam on the west end of Belle Isle. It's basically attaching the island to the south bank!

Welcome. There was one comment about preserving the natural aspect of the river. I can agree with that. While there is room for sprucing up the river to make it more of an attraction, the fact that it is a natural being itself. I really wish they would clear the log jam on the west end of Belle Isle. It's basically attaching the island to the south bank!

If it was a natural occurrence I would be hesitant to do that but since the logs are catching on an old dam there I say clear the jam and demo the dam so that we can get full flow across the rocks between Belle Isle and the South Side. It would greatly increase options for people who want to swim. No one in there right mind would would swim on the South Side of the island the way it is now.

Beleive it or not but I was at The Richmond Masterplan last night. I believe I saw both Cam and Coupe. I saw Coupe walking into the building. I saw Cam inside the building. I was gonna say hi but I was with my cousin who I havent seen for quite a while. She works for Wachovia Securities and is going to be working for a Marketing Company called I think Circle S. They do Marketing for Rocketts Landing. I believe the firm is in Manchester somewhere close to Legends.

PS to Coupe and Cam. If you saw a young man wearing a Yellow Polo Shirt with stripes,Khaki Shorts and sandals that would of been me.

Beleive it or not but I was at The Richmond Masterplan last night. I believe I saw both Cam and Coupe. I saw Coupe walking into the building. I saw Cam inside the building. I was gonna say hi but I was with my cousin who I havent seen for quite a while. She works for Wachovia Securities and is going to be working for a Marketing Company called I think Circle S. They do Marketing for Rocketts Landing. I believe the firm is in Manchester somewhere close to Legends.

PS to Coupe and Cam. If you saw a young man wearing a Yellow Polo Shirt with stripes,Khaki Shorts and sandals that would of been me.

I was also there... I snuck out of the Q & A portion after the crowd thinned a bit... and spent some time drawing on the tables in the side room and speaking with one of the Landscape Architects on the project. The gentleman who was espousing the battleship idea was also there and was divulging loads of good history and such to this guy... here's hoping he was listening.

My only real concern was how to make manageable and measurable goals for the project. By federal law, each locality is required now to do a master plan, and virginia law makes it every five years - but there is no guarantee that any of it will ever happen. The only binding force here is that if a project comes up for rezoning the planning commission and Board os Supervisors now has a guide in which to determine if the project fits in with what the city wants or needs. There was no conversation on this issue, and the people I spoke with were decidedly vague on such an issue. I get the feeling it is still early in the process and that is all well and good... Ill just bring up the issue with my local council member.

I didn't see anyone there except an overdressed Coupe!

The plans are basically ideas and to be used as a guide... I wouldn't go into the whole thing thinking we're going to rearrange Richmond tomorrow. It's a feel for what the public would like to see.

Archived