Downtown Master Plan 2007

Cadeho

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got caught up in some projects and got distracted from forums, and it seems all the New York Hampton Inns have awful wireless :( Now, I am playing catch up.

Have you been flying in and out of RIC? What's your opinion on air service from the beautiful new airport?

Have you been flying in and out of RIC? What's your opinion on air service from the beautiful new airport?

The only other airport, so far, that I find to be even close to being as nice to RIC, is Pittsburgh. Out of 30 flights or so, I have experienced one minor delay on USAir due to a wiper that needed repair. Almost every flight that has arrived to RIC has been early. In fact, the only time I have arrived in RIC late was via Delta, but that was due to delays back at JFK. The only issue I find in RIC is the when they only have one line open for the security check in Terminal B, but most of the time it is a quick run. I have to say that I am greatful that I fly out of Richmond, and not some of the other airports I have dealt with.

I highly recommend reading John Sarvay's reports, as he's by far the local driving force on these sessions. The local media could learn a thing or two from his efforts.

I've been doing a little lurking here in the Richmond forum reading this topic and I like what I see. This John Sarvay is a neat thinker. He's a tremendous asset to your community and his opinions seem rather valid. Thanks for sharing! :D

I've been doing a little lurking here in the Richmond forum reading this topic and I like what I see. This John Sarvay is a neat thinker. He's a tremendous asset to your community and his opinions seem rather valid. Thanks for sharing! :D

Keep on lurking, Florida. And contribute when you can.

I sometimes lurk in the Tallahassee forum. After all, we're both Capital Cities. :)

Keep on lurking, Florida. And contribute when you can.

I sometimes lurk in the Tallahassee forum. After all, we're both Capital Cities. :)

It would be a nice comparison to see how other Capital Cities deal with the additional factor of the state's goverment impact on the localities...

Style Weekly: 28 Suggestions for Downtown's Future

In its preliminary report, which is being fine-tuned and will receive another public airing sometime this fall, Dover, Kohl establishes some basic assumptions:

• The plan will include specific architectural guidelines.

• Variety and choice in downtown is a good thing

• Richmond should have a “green” environment.

• Historic preservation is critical.

• Traditional city planning should respect Richmond’s historic grid system.

• And the James River is a tremendous resource.

Each of these is a worthy premise.

So in the spirit of continuing the conversation, we’re presenting 27 ideas for downtown. Some of these may already be included in the emerging downtown plan. Others may be too specific for such a document.....

• 1 month later...

Here's a news report of the report, fresh from inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...11-26-0233.html

The pdf supplied by inRich is VERY long in case anyone is planning to print it out. I did and finished it all except for the longest sction. (I ran out of color ink and will have to finish it tomorrow after a visit to Staples for more ink and paper.)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Will Jones reports today in the Times Dispatch that the Planning Commission voted last night 9-0 to forward the slightly amended Downtown Master Plan to City Council:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...07-22-0148.html

PS: I think the year 2007 should be removed from the title of this thread.

I agree. By the time city council gets around to voting on this master plan, it might be 2010. There is already talk of special interest groups and developers putting pressure on council members to "tweak" and "modify" this plan. I say B.S.!! City Council needs to vote on this now and pass it without further modifications. There have been plenty of changes and modifications to this plan. Everyone in the city and surrounding areas has had a fair chance to give input into this plan. We the People have hammered-out this master plan and even after coming under the fickled fingers of the planning commission, it has finally reached a point where everyone concerned has had issues addressed and it needs to be passed.

Contact your council persons and ask them to expedite the vote on this plan and to approve it untouched!!

I agree. By the time city council gets around to voting on this master plan, it might be 2010. There is already talk of special interest groups and developers putting pressure on council members to "tweak" and "modify" this plan. I say B.S.!! City Council needs to vote on this now and pass it without further modifications. There have been plenty of changes and modifications to this plan. Everyone in the city and surrounding areas has had a fair chance to give input into this plan. We the People have hammered-out this master plan and even after coming under the fickled fingers of the planning commission, it has finally reached a point where everyone concerned has had issues addressed and it needs to be passed.

Contact your council persons and ask them to expedite the vote on this plan and to approve it untouched!!

Just remember, it is the business community and developers that makes or breaks Downtown. I am not saying bow down to them. I say listen to what they have to say and move forward from there.

Quite frankly I am surprised at the speed of the process. I have been involved in various masterplans, that are much smaller, yet have taken longer to adopt.

I consider myself a parent when it comes to the plan and I feel what's happened to it is like watching your child grow up to be a freak and falling short of expectation because of outside influences.

• 1 month later...

Archived