America's aging infrastructure...

Neo

^

Yeah, I read that article too, hot on the heels of the de-icer theory. This intriguing piece of plausible-yet-farfetched biological conjecture is plausible, yet also far-fetched (I'm suddenly reminded of the responsibility-deflecting artistry of the twinkie defense), so I'll be taking this theory with a giant grain of (uhm) salt.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
our defense, i.e. our infrastructure, is literally crumbling around us. At the risk of turning this political, the fact that we have focused so much into the Iraq war and war on terror, the terrorists are in fact winning, because we are now crumbling from withing. The damage done by collapses, poor emergency planning for natural disasters, and problems caused form old infrastructure failing (i.e. our water and electricity), is far, far worse than any damage the terrorists can do themselves.

I'm not sure I buy into the government making it easier to have a car. Between a portion of property taxes, a portion of state and federal income tax, and state and federal fuel taxes, I'd say car owners are funding both roads AND mass transit.

Also, people with heavy SUVs are penalized in that they buy more fuel, and thus pay more taxes. I'm really not sure any more penalties are needed there.

I still maintain that the majority of Americans would choose their car over any form of mass transit because it gets them where they want to go, when they want to go there.

• 1 year later...

Archived