Future of Trains in Metro Detroit

Gangway1111

Looks like detroit is thinking about setting some transit lines in the city

"DDOT seeking public input on 3 rapid transit lines"

http://www.modeldmedia.com/developmentnews/dtogs10307.aspx

Meanwhile the AA to Detroit Commuter line is facing some "logistics" problems. At least they are still working on it

"SEMCOG working with railroads to establish Detroit-Ann Arbor commuter rail line"

http://www.metromodemedia.com/devnews/SEMCOG0029.aspx

Could this be the start of rebuilding mass transit in Metro-Detroit? Only time will tell.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, a general mass transit thread is good.

I'd be very happy with some light rail. I'd also be happy with general bus reform, since it's pretty cracked out from what I understand.

I've heard that Detroit's bus ridership is actually pretty good, and that Detroit also pays a comparable amount of money for transit as other cities with better systems. I hope that transit in general here can be untangled.

The AA to Detroit Line is planned to be up and running by the end of the year. It should also make stops at Metro Airport, Dearborn, and Ypsilanti.

In the future (hopefully next year) it will also make stops in Royal Oak (my home town) Troy/Birmingham, and Pontiac.

If they really do all that, then who knows, there might be a chance of getting MCS up and running again someday.

There's a major logistical problem with having the Detroit to Ann Arbor line make stops at Metro Airport that people seem to keep forgeting. The line that runs from the Ann Arbor Station to downtown Detroit is a different line than the one that runs from downtown Detroit past metro airport. I think the two lines are about a mile appart where the one goes past metro airport and they only meet going inbound the other side of Dearborn. To have a continuous line would require the construction of new track near I-275 connecting the two lines which is a logistical and financial nightmare given the scope and psychological barries already facing the project. Right now, it looks they're have to create a stop a mile north of METRO on the line from Detroit to Ann Arbor and create a continuous bus service between that stop and the two terminals which slightly decreases its convenience.

I'm not saying the more expensive alternatve isn't possible or isn't even better, it's just that given the difficulties ahead of getting this off the ground I doubt the region will go for it.

The Wayne County Airport Authority is hoping to build a tram system that runs from the McNamara Terminal to the new terminal and on to Merriman Rd where all of the hotels are. They are looking to connect the terminals to a large rental car center somewhere north of I-94 near all of the hotels. They want to build the system so that any future commuter rail along the tracks north of the airport would connect it. In total the length of the tram line would be about 4 miles, so I'm sure that they could easily extend it the additional 2 miles to the AA-Detroit line.

"Wally" the howell to ann arbor train will be a commuter service. Funny you should mention Metra, the great lakes central railroad bought about 50 of Metra's old bi-level commuter cars and will be using these for their service. They were a steal too, I think they were $1 per car.

Haha that's really cool.Iv'e just been on you tube clearing our rep.(at least trying to) And I think it's helping.I have also been busy talking to a couple investors and they Seem interested in the "Return" of Detroit.Lets just say A few more projects will be going up around corktown.So what about Commuter to the City?Is there any plans for that?

yes. there is a plan to link ann arbor to detroit via a commuter rail service. The problem with this project is that a: SEMCOG is doing it and b: there are 4 railroads that require negotiations to get this moving (norfolk southern, canadian national and csx... amtrak also owns a segment of track along the route, but they obviously aren't causing problems as they would be running the service.)

There was initial talk that we could see the route in place by this year, but I assure you that this will not happen.

DDOT is also doing a study to improve it's transit. Light rail is one of the improvement options, but I have the impression that light rail is the main goal, and the other options are what might need to be settled for. There's a link about it on the first post of this page.

I wish that so many studies would need to be done. I realize they need to do studies to get money, and that sometimes studies are necessary to see what would be the best choice, but I think it doesn't take a study to know that light rail on Detroit's major streets would be successful.

Thanks everyone for posting on my first good topic.

I will be gone for a week to go to Denver CO. I know they have a light rail system set up there so it should be interesting how it works.

Please keep this thread going and I will see if I can get some good pictures of it (and some good video too maybe?) and post them here.

Thanks again.

Archived