Future of Trains in Metro Detroit

Gangway1111

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had never heard of this before, which line do you think it would be?

Seems like Woodard from Downtown to 12 mile would be the strongest Candidate

Midtown, WSU Cultural Center DMC

State Fair Grounds

Highland Park

Downtowns of Royal Oak, Ferndale, Berkely

Could later be extended up to Birmingham and Pontiac

Are there any other reasonable possiblities?

I would hope they would want to have train service. In the last few years, LRT has lead to big revitalizations in the areas where they are built. The property around the train being built in Charlotte has appreciated enormously over the last few years and lots of new housing and businesses are showing up around the line. One of the UrbanPlanet forumers routinely posts updates of this construction. You can see some of the photos here that he posted this week.

This line has not been without it's controversy. One of the suburban towns that would have been served by this line voted not to have it stop there because they did not want the growth. I think they are now regretting that decision. Also the construction of this train has gone way over budget so it's important that proper due diligence is done on the costs to build the train so that people are not turned against the project.

I wonder if we even need to go that far to spur more deveolpment in Downtown Royal Oak. All we would really need to do is to extend the AA to Detroit Commuter line up to Pontiac making stops in Birminham/Troy, and of course, Right in the middle of Downtown Royal Oak. I am sure having such convient access to a line that goes straight to Detroit would make the already explosive growth there well, even more so.

Thanks

METRA is a commuter rail system. CTA (which many people refer to as the El) is mostly in Chicago with a few extensions into the inner-ring suburbs. So, while I don't think we'll see the light rail system extend too far into the suburbs, I do think we can have a regional commuter rail system similar to METRA that extends into the suburbs and on to the surrounding satellite cities.

Except Detroit is not Chicago. The same kind of system that works in the City centered Chicago could not work in the suburb centered Detroit.

The majority of Shoppers and goers Downtown come from the suburbs, not the city. In order for a light rail line to work in the city, it will have to extend far beyond 8 mile. Otherwise, its numbers will be comparable to the people mover. Any Light Rail Line going up Woodward would have to go at least to Down Town Birmingham to get decent numbers. And with the center medium in suburban woodward, that would not be difficult to do logistically.

Before you (as in anyone) say that such a line would negate the usfull ness of a commuter line going up that same area, it should be pointed out that a light rail line is a slower moving line that has to make many stops and provides more direct coverage, where as a commuter line is a faster one that make very few stops and provides less direct coverage. It is the difference between speed and coverage.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Some more news on the AA to Detroit Commuter line.

Start date for Detroit-Ann Arbor commuter line pushed back but still moving forward

http://www.metromodemedia.com/devnews/detroitannarborline0035.aspx

Call me "glass is half-empty", but this is not a good sign at all. Dose anyone really expect this project to survive to 2010?

this project is moving forward, but the pace at which it is moving is nothing short of apalling. While I certainly understand and embrace Norfolk Southern's requirement of a capacity study (note that SEMCOG will pay for the study and the work will be done by a consultant hand-picked by the railroad), I find it rediculous that it took this long, damn near 2 years, for SEMCOG to go about getting this study going. The capacity study, per my sources, will take anywhere from 6 to 9 months. So lets say you run your capacity study. It is going to tell you that need to double track, at a miniumum, 2 sections of the rail, one between Dearborn and Wayne and a second between Ypsi and Ann arbor. Add to that the requirement to totally revamp the signal systems and the fact that you still need platforms work in Ypsi and Wayne/Merrimen, you're looking at a awfully long process. As an example, I currently have a tiny project processing in Ypsilanti that took no less than 6 months to get a plan approved for a sidewalk crossing of these same NS tracks.

I am dissapointed in the pace of this study, but I feel that SEMCOG's pinning this soley on the railroads is wrong. All involved lack the dillegence that we should be getting for a relativly simple project like this.

• 1 month later...

Some News on the AA to Howell Commuter Line

Ann Arbor commuter rail pushes forward, hopes to start service in spring

http://www.metromodemedia.com/devnews/wallya20042.aspx

It looks like the supposed federal grant for the so called "Wally" line fell through and that is the reason for the delay.

But if everything goes smoothly, the line should be up and running next spring.

wally is an incredibly interesting project in so many ways... the railroad's excitement to bring a train, the regional cooperation and the ability to find money is making it to be a very impressive little project.

still, the main problem is that it will stop about a mile too far north of downtown. The proposed plymouth road station would turn out to be a good station stop, but certainly not an ideal terminal. Until the train runs into downtown ann arbor, my excitment for this train is somewhat reserved.

Know what? I only said that based on other people's responses. I haven't even seen the study or any proposals, and would like to see them before we jump to conclusions. For example, the railroad company that owns the tracks north of the city (apparently all the way to Traverse City) said they would hope to expand as far south as Milan. That means that it is possible to expand through the city and into the southern "suburbs".

The issue with this line stopping at Plymouth road has been beaten to death, every time a new article pops up. That's why I asked.

Access to the city center and other forms of mass transit is paramount for this project to succeed, otherwise, it's a line from nowhere to nowhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived