Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

digital_sandlapper

S.C. - A Retiree's Dream?

5 posts in this topic

South Carolina just got more positive press that will help attract retirees. It was just named, by Forbes magazine, one of the

"Seven Best (Unknown) Retirement Tax Havens."

You can read the article by following this link (it's a Yahoo! and Forbes collaboration):

http://finance.yahoo.com/retirement/articl...lt?mod=oneclick

We are certainly not in the Rust Belt, so after reading the article (which doesn't mention S.C.), click on the "In Pictures" slideshow in the little box that says "More from Forbes.com". We are featured on the last slide, but I don't think they were in any particular order.

Does S.C. do enough to provide incentives for retirees? Do we do too much? What are your thoughts on the influx of retirees to the state in general?

Administrators, if this topic has already been posted, feel free to move. Thanks!

Retirees are good for the economy, in that they typically have a substantial amount of disposable income to spend. Also, I think they tend to be more drawn to the cultural amenities that exist within cities.

I believe SC is doing OK for retirees, but I believe the state could do more. If SC removed its state income tax in exchange for a sales tax or something, I think more retirees (as well as more businesses) would move here. That is how Florida and Texas have remained so robust, economically.

Thats true, but they don't reproduce to support population replacement. I think the retiree population is great, but it needs to grow in concert with younger people too.

I don't think we necessarily need to do more, aside from improving infrastructure that already exists (mass transit, medical access, etc.) But those are things that should be done anyway.

Retirees are coming in droves whether we specifically accomodate them or not.