Towne Center at Exit 19 [Anderson]

interestedexpat

AIM reported today that a Greenville Developer is working on a 125 Acre development at the intersection of Welpine Road and Clemson Blvd near exit 19 in Anderson. Read the story here. This is across Clemson Blvd from the Rosewood Development announced last year.

The article talks about sustainable development that includes two residential areas, retail and greenspace with public access to a creek running through the property. All sounds good.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watermarke, Rosewood, and Battery Park close together creates an exciting area in Anderson. Awesome! :yahoo:

Any speculation to what type of retail Battery Park will have?

As these exciting developments take shape, so must the dreaded reality of improving the I-85/Clemson Boulevard interchange. The cloverleaf is ineffective to accomodate the growth.

A model interchange would be Interstate 85 Eixt 58 at Brockman-McClimon Road in Spartanburg County. You have a Y-interchange that carries traffic off the interstate, and dumps it out onto the designated road. If realized, the relocated interchange will be southward, and coming around Rosewood to intersect Clemson Boulevard.

Bo- I would have to disagree with your statement that the cloverleaf doesn't accomodate growth.... I feel it does a far better job than a traditional stop light intersection. Just look at the poor traffic flow on woodruff road in greenville. Traffic comes to a halt at Woodruff & 85 as well as woodruff and 385 because of street lights (and those people that have to run the red light and block traffic, but i digress). The cloverleaf is far more effective at moving traffic than any other design I know of. Granted, it will take good traffic engineering to get the fast moving traffic off the cloverleaf system onto a slower moving road which would enter a complex, but without the cloverlear you're stuck with another woodruff rd nightmare :huh:

Im not trying to bash you, just trying to find out what system you would like to see.....

I agree that the clover leaf leaves a lot to be desired. Try coming out of the Hilton Garden Inn going towards Clemson at morning rush minute :P . It's hard to do, even when there isn't much traffic. Imagine in a few years when we have multiple new developments and twice the cars. Now getting our elected officials to listen and change it... that's another problem all together.

The cloverleaf at exit 19 isn't that bad. The best type of interchange for an urban - or in this case "urbanizing" interchange is call a Single Point Urban Interchange, or SPUI. you might get some conflicting opinions, but they great at optimizing traffic flow. There is one on 85 at Highway 14 in Greer (at the Gville/Spartanburg county line) and another on 26 at Reidville Road in Spartanburg. There are probably others around as well.

The SPUI at 14 & 85 I have grown to hate, but the design I prefer probably would not have fit in the available build area. The downfall of the SPUI is the stop lights.... I prefer steadily moving traffic over being stopped at a street light after leaving the interstate. I think the "Catherine Wheel" would be better at Exit 19, and it is a derivative of the cloverleaf. Here is an example of the "Catherine Wheel": modclo.gif

This design removes the crossover traffic (1 car trying to enter the freeway, while 1 car exits -typically occuring under a bridge). The big question is would it fit in the given area? I think so more than 14 & 85, but im not a traffic system engineer :P

^ Can't agree with the praises sung for the "catherine wheel". I used to live near the VA 7 / 395 interchange. Utopia it wasn't. I agree with Spartan - the SPUI's are the best. And I suspect they are much more affordable than the other options ... require less land and less build.

I could see a strong argument for a "catherine wheel" if Clemson Blvd was a freeway for a significant distance.

Archived