Transit Conditions

Alabadrock

Transit Conditions  

6 members have voted

1. 1. In what condition do you believe our transit system to be in?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Average
    • Not Good
    • Bad
    • Horrible
  2. 2. Which mode of transit needs the most improvment or expansion?

• Roadways (US/State Highways, Interstates, Tunnels, Bridges)
    • Rail (Freight and Commercial)
    • Bus
    • Air
    • Water
  3. 3. Which metro areas have the worst, least expansive, or in most disrepair, transit systems? (choose 5)

• Birmingham-Hoover
    • Mobile
    • Huntsville
    • Montgomery
    • Tuscaloosa
    • Decatur
    • Florence-Muscle Shoals
    • Dothan
    • Auburn-Opelika
    • Anniston-Oxford
    • Gadsden
  4. 4. Who is most to blame for the lack of transit expansion/improvment?

• Bob Riley
    • ALDOT
    • Local Governments
    • Congressmen
    • The People
    • The Federal Government

After seeing all the news about the bridge collapse in Minneapolis, I think it's time we discuss how our transit system is fairing.

I noticed that Bob Riley ordered three bridges to be inspected as soon as this happened, so it made me think. There are many many bridges in this state that are in horrible condition. Some of them are heavily traveled each day.

Of course, this discussion isn't limited to bridges. Tunnels, bus routes, terestrial roadways, and airports are game too!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An editorial in the Montgomery Advertiser states that there are 2,102 bridges in Alabama rated "structurally deficient", the same rating that the Minnesota bridge had. Another 2,205 bridges are listed as functionally obsolete. In 2005, the Pew Charitable Trust's Government Performance Project reported that Alabama's roads and bridges have a maintenance backlog estimated at $1.6 billion, which falls behind by an additional $50 million each year.

Ain't it great to live in the least-taxed state in the nation.

State bridges 'structurally deficient'

An editorial in the Montgomery Advertiser states that there are 2,102 bridges in Alabama rated "structurally deficient", the same rating that the Minnesota bridge had. Another 2,205 bridges are listed as functionally obsolete. In 2005, the Pew Charitable Trust's Government Performance Project reported that Alabama's roads and bridges have a maintenance backlog estimated at $1.6 billion, which falls behind by an additional $50 million each year.

Ain't it great to live in the least-taxed state in the nation.

State bridges 'structurally deficient'

Well, it could be worse. Minnesota is one of the highest tax states and look what it did for them! You got to put the money and nobody likes to maintain infrastructure cause there's nothing to see to show off how the politicians are serving their constituents <_<

There are 2 major problems facing the state of Alabama when it comes to transportation infastructure funding: 1)The way it is gathered, 2)The way is the accountability surrounding its allocation and spent. If we could efficiently solve those 2 major problems then Alabama would have so many "structurally deficient" and "functionally obsolete" along with the lack of any form of real mass transit within this state.

However, this quote makes me look at ALDOT <_<:

Brian Davis, Birmingham division engineer with the Alabama Department of Transportation, said just because a bridge ranks below 50 does not mean it needs to be replaced. "It only means it is eligible for replacement," Davis said.

"There are more needs in every state than there is money to address those needs," Davis said. "This forces us as transportation officials to rank the bridges and determine which one needs to be replaced the most."

Really! I mean, you listen to all these officials on TV about why such and such bridge collapsed and why this road fell into the canyon. Then they say, there just isn't enough money. I'm sorry, but, someone needs to yell in their faces,"THESE ARE HUMAN LIVES!" When you have peoples lives in your hands, you don't stress about how you're gonna get it, you just go after it. I know that sometimes, they actually can't get the money, but, so far, I'm not convinced that they've done everything that they could have.

Archived