Redevelopment of the Kimbrells Building

gs3

Stewart Spinks plans to redevelop the Kimbrells Building, with a couple of retail stores on the ground floor and high end condos above. Needs DPC approval, and two commissioners are questioning the addition of a couple of windows (gotta love the DPC :rolleyes: ).

Article with rendering from the Greenville News:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../708030323/1003

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What gets me is that they made them save this building becuase of its Art Deco design, but have no problem with the City owned buildings on Broad being torn down despite their Art Deco design. I am not saying those buildings need to be saved, just never felt this one needed to.

What gets me is that they made them save this building becuase of its Art Deco design, but have no problem with the City owned buildings on Broad being torn down despite their Art Deco design. I am not saying those buildings need to be saved, just never felt this one needed to.

Precisely my sentiment as well. Unless they attract a unique retailer that will steadily draw people in from Main Street, this whole project will be a completely wasted opportunity for something far greater.

Precisely my sentiment as well. Unless they attract a unique retailer that will steadily draw people in from Main Street, this whole project will be a completely wasted opportunity for something far greater.

I said this in the other thread (98 East McBee/Peacock Hotel & Spa), but I'd almost place a bet that one of the retailers is Dunkin Doughnuts (keep in mind, I'm not a gambling man).

Obviously, the DPC has no taste or sense. They approved the absolutely hideous new Peacock design, and now they want to hinder redevelopment of something that is nothing but an eyesore?

The best thing that could happen to this building, aside from the Spinks redevelopment, is a fire that would force the building to be torn down.

Obviously, the DPC has no taste or sense. They approved the absolutely hideous new Peacock design, and now they want to hinder redevelopment of something that is nothing but an eyesore?

The best thing that could happen to this building, aside from the Spinks redevelopment, is a fire that would force the building to be torn down.

If the building in the West End is any indication though, structural soundness doesn't always guarantee demolition and redevelopment. But the soundness of that building was different depending on who you asked.

I like the redesign of the Kimbrell's building. It seems very sensible to me, and is something the DPC should definitely allow. I'm all for preserving history, but if the DPC fails to approve this then it seems that we will never see anything happen on the site. It's an unused eyesore, and this design is attractive while still acknowledging the "history" behind the building.

I would love to see a Dunkin' Donuts as one of the tenants there. I think it would do very well, especially if it would stay open really late on weekends (i.e., past midnight).

I would love to see a Dunkin' Donuts as one of the tenants there. I think it would do very well, especially if it would stay open really late on weekends (i.e., past midnight).

While it wouldn't be as perfect as the Krispy Kreme experience it would bring the donut experience back downtown after all these years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I heard that work on the Carolina Ale House will start with in a couple of weeks. Harper will be using the west side of the Peacock site for a temporary staging area.

Good to hear... I'm glad the Peacock site will at least be useful for something over the next several months!

I heard that work on the Carolina Ale House will start with in a couple of weeks. Harper will be using the west side of the Peacock site for a temporary staging area.

Noticed last night that a large rendering of the redo is up in the window facing Main. Looks nice.

Archived