The "Aquarium of Arkansas" to be built in Bentonville

KJW

That is a pretty dumb statement, allright! Talk about bad writing and stupid, ignorant people. That's one thing certain religious sects like to do--keep the women folk in their place.

i'm sorry, but i have to give it up to On High with a big AMEN to that!

yeaa yeaa!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the way some people are slamming this development am I to believe the developers are a redneck religious sect???

Applegate Hills seems like a very nice development, right up there with the best developments in NWA... the developer just needs some PR training that's all.

That is a pretty dumb statement, allright! Talk about bad writing and stupid, ignorant people. That's one thing certain religious sects like to do--keep the women folk in their place.

I suppose there are a few weird ones out there. My church, and I'm sure most churches around here, teach quite the opposite. Young men are taught to treat women with honor and respect. If my husband can pass on even half of what he knows about how to treat a woman to our sons, our future daughters-in-law will be lucky girls. ;)

Here's the part that cracked me up:

"A vibrant and energetic feel was determined to be the common denominator for all of the other successful "destination" centers researched. Envision as vendor executives head to a meeting at the convention center while their wives shop or enjoy the salon/spa. Other wives shop with their children as teens go to the gaming center and an elderly couple sit at one of the many outside terraces and just people watch"

So, we only have male vendor executives here? The convention center will be full of men, and the shops full of women? Oh yeah, that's progressive. Granted, in my particular family, that holds true, lol, but there are plenty of successful women in business around here. And I bet older folks love being characterized as people watchers. Too funny.

That is kind of funny. I am male. I travel for business. As recently as May, I have been to a spa at a hotel for a massage and "relaxation treatment".

On the other hand, stereotypically male, I HATE shopping. I do not shop. I do not want to shop. I only shop when absolutely necessary.

And I wouldn't tell many folks that I went to the spa. :lol:

Interesting, then, that Christianity (through the Bible) teaches that the very first people Jesus chose to reveal Himself to after His resurrection from the dead were two women, in a time when the word of a woman didn't mean squat.

In fact it's amazing to see the gains women made as a result of Christianity, the predominate religion in NWA, from Jesus' day forward.

I think it's hard to generalize about Christians as a group because there are so many divisions of the religion. Take for example the Promise Keepers group that came to Razorback Stadium last year. From what I've read they maintain that wives should always submit to their husbands. I doubt that is the view of the majority of Christians.

Some divisions of Christianity welcome alternative lifestyles while others condemn the same lifestyles. You can see examples of disagreement worldwide and even in the same congregations. The Southern Baptists just went through a major split.

Sometimes it seems that the extreme elements of both religion and other belief systems feel the need to convert everyelse to their way of thinking. That is the source of conflict- if you let people believe what they choose and don't try to change them you won't cause friction.

I think it's hard to generalize about Christians as a group because there are so many divisions of the religion. Take for example the Promise Keepers group that came to Razorback Stadium last year. From what I've read they maintain that wives should always submit to their husbands. I doubt that is the view of the majority of Christians.

Some divisions of Christianity welcome alternative lifestyles while others condemn the same lifestyles. You can see examples of disagreement worldwide and even in the same congregations. The Southern Baptists just went through a major split.

Sometimes it seems that the extreme elements of both religion and other belief systems feel the need to convert everyelse to their way of thinking. That is the source of conflict- if you let people believe what they choose and don't try to change them you won't cause friction.

Add to that the fact that people really don't get the facts about what people believe in the first place. My husband went to Promise Keepers twice, and "wives submitting to their husbands" is NOT what Promise Keepers is about. It's the opposite! It's about menkeeping their promises to women, about cherishing them, loving them and staying true. THe submission thing is first of all 1/1000th of the Promise keepers message, and secondly not at all the way the media portrays it. In a Christian marriage that is following the Biblical model, a husband will not try to make decisions that his wife will disagree with in the first place. He will put her and their children first, and she will love him for it. It's a beautiful thing, I'm living it.

Oops, we're slightly off-topic here, aren't we? Sorry. :blush:

Add to that the fact that people really don't get the facts about what people believe in the first place. My husband went to Promise Keepers twice, and "wives submitting to their husbands" is NOT what Promise Keepers is about. It's the opposite! It's about menkeeping their promises to women, about cherishing them, loving them and staying true. THe submission thing is first of all 1/1000th of the Promise keepers message, and secondly not at all the way the media portrays it. In a Christian marriage that is following the Biblical model, a husband will not try to make decisions that his wife will disagree with in the first place. He will put her and their children first, and she will love him for it. It's a beautiful thing, I'm living it.

Oops, we're slightly off-topic here, aren't we? Sorry. :blush:

Why do men need to fill a stadium and attend some glorified seminar to be faithful to their wives? Sounds like some of the men probably have deeper, ahem, closeted, issues.

Why do men need to fill a stadium and attend some glorified seminar to be faithful to their wives? Sounds like some of the men probably have deeper, ahem, closeted, issues.

Most mature Christian men don't need the seminar. They do benefit from it. And certainly, our young men today (all young men, not just Christian young men) are in need of some guidance here. Anyone who thinks otherwise has their head in the sand.

• 2 weeks later...

This is anecdotal so just take it for what it's worth:

There's no doubt in my mind Benton County is going to get a nice new arena like the would-be developers dreamed about earlier this year, even if they're not the ones building it. However, I rarely if ever (and "if ever" may have been "once") heard any kind of "buzz" or office discussion about it. The most it was talked about that I saw was on these forums.

Not so with the "Aquarium of Arkansas".

Where I work in Bentonville, EVERYONE seems to have heard about the aquarium and where it's going to be built.

Doesn't mean its a given, but this idea alone really seems to have gotten people excited - they're not just talking about it but looking forward to it. Hope they're not disappointed.

This is anecdotal so just take it for what it's worth:

There's no doubt in my mind Benton County is going to get a nice new arena like the would-be developers dreamed about earlier this year, even if they're not the ones building it. However, I rarely if ever (and "if ever" may have been "once") heard any kind of "buzz" or office discussion about it. The most it was talked about that I saw was on these forums.

Not so with the "Aquarium of Arkansas".

Where I work in Bentonville, EVERYONE seems to have heard about the aquarium and where it's going to be built.

Doesn't mean its a given, but this idea alone really seems to have gotten people excited - they're not just talking about it but looking forward to it. Hope they're not disappointed.

I want to work where you work! Noone where I work cares much for what's happening in NWA and all I hear is the same old complaints that NWA is becoming "notorious" for.

I believe in Bentonville's commitment to make the city an urban playground for all people of all races, backgrounds and income brackets. Of all the NWA cities with affordable housing Bentonville is still leading the way, even with all the over-priced homes that have been popping up all over the place the past several years. While there doesn't seem to be quite as much attention being paid to developments in Bentonville the stuff they've got planned will put Bentonville light years ahead of the game in just a decade or two.

Now if I can just find a decently priced home just a short drive from Bentonville I'll be very happy. Pea Ridge seems to be the right place to start looking.

• 7 months later...

Wonder what happened to the Aquarium of Arkansas?

Well, wonder no more (for the moment, at least)...

(Aporkalypse, following your suggestion on the NWA Nats thread I think they ought to put this out near the Arvest Ballpark. There will be more open space for them, they won't have to fell as many trees and I think in the long run getting there will be a LOOOOOT easier than driving down Bentonville's Central Avenue.)

Wonder what happened to the Aquarium of Arkansas?

Well, wonder no more (for the moment, at least)...

(Aporkalypse, following your suggestion on the NWA Nats thread I think they ought to put this out near the Arvest Ballpark. There will be more open space for them, they won't have to fell as many trees and I think in the long run getting there will be a LOOOOOT easier than driving down Bentonville's Central Avenue.)

That's actually a pretty good idea. I'm not a huge fan of Springdale as a whole, but it is centrally located within the region when you consider the major cities in play, and with the ball park there now, having another decent attraction nearby would probably help bring more similar level attractions to the area in the future. When you think about most cities, a lot of the cities have major activities/attractions in one general area (like Little Rock with War Memorial Park) and in my mind, it really helps. It's a lot easier for a place like that (the aquarium) to succeed when it's not a lone destination, but in a destination "area".

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear they're still planning on going forward. Although I guess it will still be a while before they even break ground. And yeah I do wish they wouldn't end up having so many of our amenities scattered about. If it was going to be in Bentonville I wish they would place it closer to Crystal Bridges.

Where exactly is the Crystal Bridges Museum going to be? They have these cranes that I see to my left whenever I'm going south on J street. Is it going to be near J street?

Here's an old quote for a while back I found in the Crystal Bridges topic.

It's northeast of the square on J Street just south of Tiger Blvd. To get there you would go 2 blocks north of the square on Main Street and enter the walking trail (coming soon) at the new Compton Gardens. The trail will meander northeast for about a mile to where the Crystal Bridges Museum will be situated. It may not take that long to walk it but the terrain will be steep in places unless they're planning some pedestrian bridges or maybe the trail will wind around some steep spots that would actually make the trail longer than the actual distance between the Square and the Museum.

• 9 months later...

I'd totally forgotten about this topic till you bumped it up. I'm also curious to hear if there's any news what so ever about this.

Yea, one of my best friends is a biology major and wants to work at an aquarium when he graduates. He was thinking about Jenks aquarium but realy wants to see this completed and possibly get a job there.

• 3 years later...

Archived