Everything is named Peachtree...

Jrb986

When I was in Atlanta last weekend, it seemed like almost every single road was named Peachtree! Do native Atlantans feel that this is somewhat irresponsible? It was very difficult to get around with every road having the same name. I wonder how many tourists have become lost over this? Why would city planners allow this?

Any thoughts or answers? I'm just curious.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I was in Atlanta last weekend, it seemed like almost every single road was named Peachtree! Do native Atlantans feel that this is somewhat irresponsible? It was very difficult to get around with every road having the same name. I wonder how many tourists have become lost over this? Why would city planners allow this?

I'm here!!! It's funny that everyone always jokes about how there are no more Atlanta natives but I'm one and several of my friends have chosen to stay and grow their families here in Atlanta. I guess it just takes one to know one?

I can't explain the whole "Peachtree" thing other than it just being something that defines Atlanta and I guess the local government got overly excited about using it for street names over the last 100 or so years. I actually heard that the reason streets changed names dates way back and had to do more with people wanting their neighborhood to stay separated from other neighborhoods (somewhat racially motivated). For example, the "Clairmont" Road that crosses I-85 in the Druid Hills area is the exact same "Clairemonte" Road that runs through Decatur. Same street, different neighborhoods, different spelling. Now I can't say for a fact that is why Peachtree Street becomes Peachtree Road becomes Peachtree Industrial Blvd, this is just one reasoning that I've heard street names change so often throughout Atlanta.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the overuse of Peachtree is totally banal, and yes, the numerous peachtrees are likely a factor in tourists getting lost.

Speaking of getting lost, however, I think this is a minor factor compared to the inconsistent (and sometimes lacking) street signage not to mention the multiple roads throughout the Fulton county that mysteriously change names (one ore more times) along the way. It's beyond maddening. As if the traffic is bad enough, these issues compound exponentially the problems with driving in Atlanta.

I suppose these are results of rapid growth and inconsistent standards, but IMO these factors are a huge problem for the non-natives (and there are plenty of them). I thought my dad just liked to complain about the driving when he moved down last year, but now that I'm making Atlanta my second home I'm seeing first hand just how bad it is.

Sorry for getting off topic a bit, but I'm both surprised and frustrated that more isn't being done to address these issues, which would be a tremendous help as Atlanta continutes to grow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I think as you spend more time here you'll find the fact that no roads, outside of midtown, go in a direction anything close to a straight line far more frustrating that a bunch of streets named Peachtree. I actually don't think it's all that bad - at least not inside the city limits.

Archived