McGavock Pike

barakat

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGavock Pike at Inglewood and Donelson has always dead-ended at the river. As a kid, and even when my mom was a kid, the Donelson side was reached via car ferry, the Judge Hickman. I remember it well; it's how we took my dad to the airport back in the 50s and 60s. It was pretty cool for a kid. I'm not sure the year the ferry stopped operating, but it was when the Briley Parkway bridge opened in the late 60s or so. The ferry itself was moved to Cleece's Ferry in West Nashville connecting the Charlotte Pike area to Bell's Bend. It operated there for approx. 15 years.

The approach to the river is very narrow and winding and in a very quiet neighborhood. A bridge there now would be highly disruptive. Besides, Briley Parkway serves its purpose well. The ramp is still there and is sometimes used by fishermen.

Dave has all the answers, as usual :)

That's some really interesting stuff. Hard to imagine in todays world... growing up being used to interstates and getting everywhere quickly, zipping right over the top of the river at 60mph without even hardly noticing it. It's actually kinda sad to think about...

• 2 months later...
McGavock Pike at Inglewood and Donelson has always dead-ended at the river. As a kid, and even when my mom was a kid, the Donelson side was reached via car ferry, the Judge Hickman. I remember it well; it's how we took my dad to the airport back in the 50s and 60s. It was pretty cool for a kid. I'm not sure the year the ferry stopped operating, but it was when the Briley Parkway bridge opened in the late 60s or so. The ferry itself was moved to Cleece's Ferry in West Nashville connecting the Charlotte Pike area to Bell's Bend. It operated there for approx. 15 years.

The approach to the river is very narrow and winding and in a very quiet neighborhood. A bridge there now would be highly disruptive. Besides, Briley Parkway serves its purpose well. The ramp is still there and is sometimes used by fishermen.

Archived