Kirn Memorial Library

vaceltic

Another area that will eventually be developed is North of Brambleton. There is lots of room there for a new library and it would be just as close to downtown as St. Paul's, plus it would be in Ghent's back yard. Just a guess, but there doesn't look like there are many, if any, "historical" buildings that would be torn down, especially on Granby and Monticello. Old doesn't necessarily mean good or historical.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norfolk's library system is quite terrible and that is paying it a compliment. The worst of all the branches is by far the Kirn library. Not just the fact that the building is a time capsule, but also the fact that the employees are often hired based on a social welfare type basis and not because they love books. Not to mention that there are tons of books in storage that are damaged by flooding (usually discovered much later because employees are too busy surfing the net to care). I say knock it down and work with TCC. That may take some time, so in the mean time, why not lease some space downtown? Shrink the collection (store some of it obviously) and shrink the staff. I walked down Granby last night and at least 50% of the buildings look empty. I'm sure the city could work something out for a 2-3 year period while they get their act together.

Norfolk's library system is quite terrible and that is paying it a compliment. The worst of all the branches is by far the Kirn library. Not just the fact that the building is a time capsule, but also the fact that the employees are often hired based on a social welfare type basis and not because they love books. Not to mention that there are tons of books in storage that are damaged by flooding (usually discovered much later because employees are too busy surfing the net to care). I say knock it down and work with TCC. That may take some time, so in the mean time, why not lease some space downtown? Shrink the collection (store some of it obviously) and shrink the staff. I walked down Granby last night and at least 50% of the buildings look empty. I'm sure the city could work something out for a 2-3 year period while they get their act together.

Man you guys just don't have any imagination. Just create a really long LRT train that has the library in the train.

Duh.

Kind of like a Bookmobile.

Honestly, books are kind of outdated. Portable Document Format. Google is doing some wierd stuff where they are hitting major libraries (in real cities) and taking pallet loads of books, scanning them, and returning them. They don't cut the bindings off, like the people that do the book piracy.

I know, I know, portable computers don't have battery life and books are easier to read. But technology advances every day. Books are rapidly becoming obsolete.

The City is about to discuss what to do about establishing temporary location. I think they put this decision off as long as they could, since there was little money available and few options looked too promising. I really like the idea suggested by TCC that the City might partake in a joint project with them . If some of the large corporations, legal firms and other interested parties helped with a business and law library, that could add some more resources. The project could be a part of a new city hall or even a major, new office building or cultural center.

Maybe they should just build it over the light rail station.. that would be awesome having a train station under the library... they can make the structure into a piece of art, say like union station or penn station.. thats a big lot, and that can work. but again finances

• 2 weeks later...

The city currently has no plans for a new central library but has already talked of demoing kirn in as little as 6 months. Even with that they have no plan on where to store kirn's contents. All the local history items included. Contrary to popular belief, its not all the city council's fault. The city manager is the one that runs the city, just as a manager runs a store. We need a new manager.

The city currently has no plans for a new central library but has already talked of demoing kirn in as little as 6 months. Even with that they have no plan on where to store kirn's contents. All the local history items included. Contrary to popular belief, its not all the city council's fault. The city manager is the one that runs the city, just as a manager runs a store. We need a new manager.

• 3 weeks later...

Kirn Memorial is suppose be moved to the Seaboard Building,(historical downtown structure that was once Norfolk City Hall) The city has budgeted 6 million dollars to acquire and outfit the Seaboard building. The article also says that Eminent domain to force the owner to sell. (5 million would be offered). The size the building is 27,000 square feet, witch is half the size of Kirn Memorial. This building is at the corner of Plume and Atlantic. This article is in the Virginia Pilot (Hampton Roads section)

Kirn Memorial is suppose be moved to the Seaboard Building,(historical downtown structure that was once Norfolk City Hall) The city has budgeted 6 million dollars to acquire and outfit the Seaboard building. The article also says that Eminent domain to force the owner to sell. (5 million would be offered). The size the building is 27,000 square feet, witch is half the size of Kirn Memorial. This building is at the corner of Plume and Atlantic. This article is in the Virginia Pilot (Hampton Roads section)

Hes just being a smart you know what. Just ignore his comments like the rest of us. Some of them are quite hilarious at times, but I've learn to just ignore his comments. He is of the half empty glass crowd while alot of us are the half full crowd on here. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever they do, I hope it won't look like the shapeless lump pictured in the rendering. I still think the Kirn deserves more than the wrecking ball, even if it is not my favorite sort of building. Unfortunately, Norfolk's leaders have amply demonstrated that they are willing to pave their history for just about any project that comes along. The Kirn may well not be worth fighting for, but isn't it time that someone put the brakes to the city's bulldozer mentality?

I agree, the city does have a bulldozer mentality. It's almost as if the city is ashamed of the past and want to use Virginia Beach as a model for quality of life, meaning, the city hasn't really come to terms with it's urban status. If they're going to tear down historic buildings, then the Scope's demolition is long over due. That thing is ugly...but that's another topic. As for Kirn, I'd like to see it go, but only if it's replaced with a building 10 times more elegant.

Archived