Kirn Memorial Library

vaceltic

(He is :rolleyes: of the half empty glass crowd while alot of us are the half full crowd on here.)

Oh well, I think that the Kirn is our very best example from the late 50s early 60s era. It was a wonderful symbol of our downtown renewal. It amazes me that people would be more up in arms about the storefront of Beecraft and Cow than a piece of real architecture. I'd agree that Kirn would be a difficult save, but where the hell are the preservationists on this?

The glass is broken.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(He is :rolleyes: of the half empty glass crowd while alot of us are the half full crowd on here.)

Oh well, I think that the Kirn is our very best example from the late 50s early 60s era. It was a wonderful symbol of our downtown renewal. It amazes me that people would be more up in arms about the storefront of Beecraft and Cow than a piece of real architecture. I'd agree that Kirn would be a difficult save, but where the hell are the preservationists on this?

The glass is broken.

• 2 weeks later...

Officials prepare for kirns move

Library officials are making plans to move books, computers, staff and programs out of Kirn Memorial, which is scheduled for demolition in September to make way for light rail.

Library director Norman Maas said the most popular resources will be relocated at a temporary replacement for Kirn. The city is negotiating to buy the historic Seaboard building, on Plume Street, which is about half the size of Kirn.

Man I can't believe they are demolishing the library already .... crazy.

Are books even popular there? I heard it's mostly people sitting on the computers hanging on blackplanet.com / myspace.com ....

When we were kids we would get dropped off there and look up cool articles on computer hacking and stuff.

Pour a 40....

The idea I'm sure is destroy the one we have, then hit the taxpayers to replace with a much more expensive one.

Everytime i drive down City Hall Ave and see the sign 'Future LRT Station' in the window, i think to myself, i cant wait for this building to be torn down. Maybe you architecture buffs see something i, a lay-person, do not, but it is a f'ugly building, and will look much better demolished. You'd think City Council would get off their butts about this whole we need a new library thing. If they weren't too busy giving money away to other projects maybe they'd be planning more for infrastructure.... <_<

Everytime i drive down City Hall Ave and see the sign 'Future LRT Station' in the window, i think to myself, i cant wait for this building to be torn down. Maybe you architecture buffs see something i, a lay-person, do not, but it is a f'ugly building, and will look much better demolished. You'd think City Council would get off their butts about this whole we need a new library thing. If they weren't too busy giving money away to other projects maybe they'd be planning more for infrastructure.... <_<

I could go into all the social problems that light rail is pointing out, but we already know that, and this page is about the Kirn Library.

Actually funny thing I just realized, which points out how long I have been away from that area. I was mixing the Kirn building up with the tower that is two blocks east of it. That ugly brown tower. So I have to take back anything negative I might of said about the Kirn, I actually like that building and hope that something can be worked out with the city and the college or even colleges and with enough funding and a great architect, the city could end up adding a new modern jewel to the city.

Yeah, i have always had a soft spot for those international style buildings.

The brown tower to the east just needs to be replaced, no need reminding Norfolk what bad architecture looks like.

• 2 weeks later...

Norfolks old library gets older home

The city has reached an agreement to buy the historic Seaboard Building downtown for $7.2 million as a temporary home for Kirn Memorial Library, which will be displaced in September for light rail.

The City Council is expected to approve the deal today. The price reflects the appraised market value, City Manager Regina V.K. Williams said.

The council had set aside $6 million for purchasing and outfitting the building. The additional money will come from the city's land acquisition budget, said Assistant City Manager Stanley Stein.

• 1 month later...

Norfolk officials aren't interested

The owners of the former James Madison Hotel on Granby Street in Downtown Norfolk are offering the 1907 building as a temporary or permanent home for the Kirn Memorial Library.

Although the former hotel is twice the size of the Seaboard Center, the proposed temporary home for the library on Plume Street, city officials aren

Archived